Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Barrel Length for CCI 22 Quiet

7K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  armtx 
#1 ·
I am looking at 22lr rifles and will be using mostly standard and high velocity ammo. However, I want one that does not have problems with 22 quiet ammo either. Would I be better off with a 20-22 inch barrel or would a 24-28 inch barrel works as well with all the ammo types?

#5 ·
I've had multiple squibs in my choked CZ UL 28.6" barrel from using 3-4 boxes of em. The squibs usually get hung up 3-4" from the muzzle. The 710fps Quiets are unreliable for my CZ but I knew what to listen for when I got my first squib trying to whack tree rats off the bird feeder. CCI's QC isn't so good anymore including Minimags IMO. YMMV ETC
IMA I bought my CZ UL specifically for urban pest control.

#6 ·
I have found my firefly and CCI quiets in a stock carbine to be a little disappointing. Quiet yes, cycle fine yes, accurate No! Not even field accurate. I’m going to change the set up and see what happens and am going to try cb longs and shorts too. I wanted a next to the door city gun too, but unless the varmints are in a herd I’ve got no chance. The crossman gas gun , with no rear sight might be my next choice:eek:

#10 ·
Assuming a bolt action, lever action, or some flavor of single shot - it won't have problems sticking in the barrel like you might have with colibris or super colibris. I have shot them out of all the barrel lengths you mention and the only difference is the noise. The long 28" barrels are *really* quiet. I find that they are quietest in a 24" + barrel - but they are pretty quiet in everything.

My CZ's don't really shoot them particularly accurately. The Marlins, Savages, and Winchesters have no trouble with them - though they aren't match ammo....

#12 ·
Further Quiets-710fps elucidation; I had a good lot# of Quiets-710s that shot mostly 3/4"-1/2" @ 25 yds.. I've had others with some that shot high/louder, and some not even reaching the target, all in the same lot#. Between the primer and such a small amount of powder any variation in the amounts, crimp and whatnot is magnified compared to decent regular 22 subsonic ammo IME. Your mileage WILL VARY.

#13 ·
Ime, you can have CB velo's and you can have accuracy, they dont seem to be in the same ammo.
ymmv

#19 ·
I shoot them out of 24.5 barrel and they are bad medicine on thin skinned critters out to 30m for me. After that, they turn into bird shot like patterns.
I shoot them as a single shot in my canned 10/22 LVT...talk about ninja like sound, but wont cycle(expected) even with a KIDD -10% spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.