Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:18 AM
COBrien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Working on a Matched Pair

With an eye toward the future of AR-15s in this country, I decided to build a pair of AR-15s for my kids to use. Built on 80% lowers, and with dedicated .22LR uppers for the time being. More uppers will surely follow...

So, here's my part list -- let me know what y'all think.

Lower
1. Cerro forged 80% lower;
2. Aero Precision LPK;
3. Aero Precision mil-spec recoil system;
4. BAD Lightweight Buttstock (pretty much a mortar plate);
5. LaRue MBT-2S (this has quickly become my favorite trigger, especially for $80ish);
6. Redi-Mag BMA-II adapter;
7. BoreBuddy buffer pressure plug.

Upper
1. Aero Precision (their forging, Right To Bear branded) ".22LR/Pistol caliber slickside upper";
2. Beyer .920" bull barrel;
3. CMMG-manufactured (Right To Bear branded) SS BCG;
4. Aero Precision ATLAS S-One handguard.

I currently have all parts except the barrels and magazine adapters.

According to my calculations, each of these rifles should weigh in right around 5 lbs., with MagPul MBUS. Maybe a touch more, since I don't know a weight on the BMA-II adapters.
Attached Images
File Type: png Kids 22 AR.PNG (163.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
As a general note, I would consider building one, then seeing what you learn from it for the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
3. Aero Precision mil-spec recoil system;...
7. BoreBuddy buffer pressure plug.
You should not need either of these.

Quote:
4. BAD Lightweight Buttstock (pretty much a mortar plate);
I don't know how large your children are. An adjustable carbine stock is nice if the rifle is going to be used by people of different sizes.

Quote:
5. LaRue MBT-2S (this has quickly become my favorite trigger, especially for $80ish);
A solid trigger with a beast of a hammer spring. A lighter hammer spring may extend the interval between broken firing pins.

Quote:
2. Beyer .920" bull barrel;
I do not own one, but hear only glowing reviews. If weight is a concern, note that RTB carries a lightweight barrel that is nitride for $120-ish.

Quote:
I currently have all parts except the barrels and magazine adapters.
And magazines? I'd keep an eye out for a sale on S&W 15-22 magazines.

Quote:
According to my calculations, each of these rifles should weigh in right around 5 lbs., with MagPul MBUS.
If you are committed to iron sights for them, a set of UTG fixed sights might serve them better and would cost less. For about the same price as a set of magpul sights, a low power scope could make the introduction to a new shooter easier. I don't dismiss mbus as back-up sights, but there are better values as primary sights, imo.

Last edited by zukiphile; 07-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:23 AM
COBrien

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the heads-up! Reponses in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
As a general note, I would consider building one, then seeing what you learn from it for the second.

I had planned on building one, function testing, then using that experience to guide the second build, just as you suggest. May even put an upper together (once I get my barrels and adapters...) and throw it on another known-good lower I have, just for function-testing.

You should not need either of these.

My intention was to have both of these lowers setup for use with larger-caliber (read: 5.56) uppers with a minimum of part-swapping. I know a person can run a solid dowel (or nothing at all, really) in place of the buffer and spring, but I have also read that having the buffer, spring, and a pressure plug can help with reliability when using the CMMG BCG. Only trigger time will tell.

I don't know how large your children are. An adjustable carbine stock is nice if the rifle is going to be used by people of different sizes.

Right now, my kids are young. Too young to be shooting anything, let alone an AR-15. I figure the LOP with this setup will be quite short (entry-length), but loosening a single Allen bolt and removing the mortar plate will allow use of any mil-spec carbine buttstock. I have a couple of MFT Minimalists and a handful of M4 rattle traps lying around.

A solid trigger with a beast of a hammer spring. A lighter hammer spring may extend the interval between broken firing pins.

I'll look into lighter hammer springs for the MBT. I hadn't even thought about that.

I do not own one, but hear only glowing reviews. If weight is a concern, note that RTB carries a lightweight barrel that is nitride for $120-ish.

I looked hard at the RTB barrel. At 23.3 oz., it's certainly lightweight for a steel barrel. The Beyer barrel is going to come out right around 18 oz., and has a match chamber. Plus I'm all about supporting a small, one-man shop with personal service. I mean, Clint puts his personal cell number on his website and answers the phone with "Yello!" Lol!

And magazines? I'd keep an out for a sale on S&W 15-22 magazines.

I picked up some S&W 15-22 mags for $14.95 each (10-rd. and 25-rd.). Best price I could find at the time.
EDIT: I was typing as you were editing. Lol!

I ran with the MBUS because I picked them up for $50 for each set. I'd considered some fixed rail-mounted sights, but I do have an eye toward at least a red dot on each of these rifles.

Last edited by COBrien; 07-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 11:24 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Working on a Matched Pair
Not what I expected.
I cannot say any more.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:52 AM
WVdavidB

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've my dedicated 22LR AR. Franklin trigger, cmmg bolt and barrel, BAM and 16/22 mags. Its braced up and a hoot to shoot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
COBrien, you seem like a well versed AR builder.

Quote:
My intention was to have both of these lowers setup for use with larger-caliber (read: 5.56) uppers with a minimum of part-swapping. I know a person can run a solid dowel (or nothing at all, really) in place of the buffer and spring, but I have also read that having the buffer, spring, and a pressure plug can help with reliability when using the CMMG BCG. Only trigger time will tell.
I know that's the theory. The way it worked out for me, I made so many tweaks specifically for 22lr that my lowers became dedicated lowers that were no longer easily returnable to centerfire use.

Two things drove me nutty about an as-is lower used with a 22lr upper, and they were both sound related. The first was the sound of the metal bolt leg hitting the metal bolt carrier plate. It didn't hurt anything, but the sound was unpleasant. The second was the "sproing" cause by the 22lr striking the AR buffer and the buffer spring reverberating just as it does in centerfire use. These sounds seem more prominent because the 22lr is relatively quiet. (My solutions lead down a rabbit hole that won't be useful here.)

If I were starting from scratch and I wanted to make the lower truly interoperable, I think I would try an Armaspec silent recoil system captured buffer and spring. It seems like a waste of money unless it keeps you from building a series of dedicated lowers.

Last edited by zukiphile; 07-17-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM
WVdavidB

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I removed my buffer and spring to prevent the twang. I do have a JP Silent captured bolt I forgot about though as I switched to a 9mm on the maximum defense braced lower it was on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 02:17 PM
COBrien

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
If I were starting from scratch and I wanted to make the lower truly interoperable, I think I would try an Armaspec silent recoil system captured buffer and spring.
Y'know what...

I do have an Armaspec H SRS sitting in a drawer. I'd planned on dropping that into my "Dissipator" (true 16" rifle gas, smooth shooting when it shoots), but I'm having trouble getting that rifle off the ground due to some tolerance stacking issues.

Once I get a rimfire rifle put together, I'll try it with the Std. Carbine buffer and spring, then swap to the Armaspec and see if there's a noticeable difference. I, like you, don't much appreciate the "metal bat on a chain link fence" sound an AR produces. I cut my teeth on a Mini-14, so an AR recoil system sounds like a space blaster to my ears...
Old 07-17-2019, 02:44 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Y'know what...

I do have an Armaspec H SRS sitting in a drawer.
Funny how things work out.

Quote:
I, like you, don't much appreciate the "metal bat on a chain link fence" sound an AR produces.
People tell me I shouldn't let that sound bother me. That doesn't keep it from bothering me.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 PM
COBrien

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
People tell me I shouldn't let that sound bother me. That doesn't keep it from bothering me.
Same here.

I'm waiting on a can to be released from BATFE jail. Once I'm running suppressed, I know it's going to bother me that much more. Hence the SRS. Lol!
Old 08-02-2019, 03:05 PM
COBrien

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My BMA-IIs came in today. I'm not sure why (given the size of AR-15 magazines...), but I'd pictured them being much larger -- and heavier -- than they are.

Must be the smallest and lightest-weight object I've ever paid $43.95 for, but trying one out in one of my lowers, it's a dern slick little gizmo.