Stressing over the MK-IV - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 AM
MyNameIsEarl
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2016
Posts: 
44
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow Stressing over the MK-IV



Log in to see fewer ads
Pages and pages of the written word here about the MK-IV saftey. What is it, what will it do, how will it affect the trigger, and so on. Lots of speculation and imagination. The issue can easily by seen by simply removing the receiver and watching for sear movement when the trigger is pulled, safety ON.

That's it, just like thousands of other firearms that use a similar design. As I stated before, the sear should NOT move under safety ON conditions. That is the way the gun should work. Most firearms get away with a loose safety because the sear engagement is very large and the sear spring is very heavy. The deep engagement allows the sear to move toward disengagement, but not all the way out of engagement (fire). The heavy sear spring is usually enough to force the sear to re-seat itself into full engagement when the trigger is released.

If clever fingers don't file or stone the factory parts, we can all live with a loose safety. The moment engagements are reduced, sear springs are lightened and engagement angles are altered, all bets are off, even if the new safety lever has been installed. Hammer, sear, safety. These parts cannot be interchanged one at a time. All 3 must be fit together by hand to work correctly. That's bad news for MBA's who assume anything can quickly be assembled and rushed off the assembly line. At present, it is not possible for civilians to "make the MK-IV work the way it should" without welding up the safety lever. Tolerances. It is what's for dinner.

That statement goes doubly if aftermarket light trigger pull parts are installed. With target low pull parts installed, the sear doesn't have to move much to fire the gun. All that free sear play that was "just OK" with factory parts still exists, but now there is enough sear movement to fire the gun every time with the safety on. So, all the fuss about having to do the recall, then re-install the "real" parts into the gun is nonsense. Reliable saftey operation will exist only with parts that were adjusted to work together. Why waste your time if you won't be using the "approved fit" factory parts?

It is not clear to me why all of a sudden the MK-IV has an issue? The same design has been used since the beginning. Look at the parts diagram of a MK-I and you will see a safety lever that is identical in shape and function to the MK-IV. Now that we are making parts on precision CNC machines, tolerances can be held to amazing levels and things will always fit right. Or maybe not. Also, some critical parts are cast or stamped - processes that are not known to be all that accurate.

Currently, your recalled pistol's hammer, sear and safety lever are being hand fit to work together safely, as they should have been in the first place. Change any one of these 3 parts after that work is done will get you back to square 1. That's reality TV, folks. I believe that the market will eventually figure out how to improve this situation, as they have done with many previous parts offerings. In the meanwhile, keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.

MyNameIsEarl

Last edited by MyNameIsEarl; 07-13-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 PM
ShakeyHand

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Posts: 
317
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't worry; be happy

Seriously, I have no problem with my Mk IV Competition in its current configuration. In fact, I'm leaving to go pick up my Leupold Deltapoint Pro to put on it right after I finish this. Of course, I'm going to put another 200 rounds through it. I just love shooting it.

When my box arrives, I will send it off to get the recall work done. As soon as I get it back, I'm going to install a Volquartsen trigger in it, and head right back out to the range. I trust Volquartsen to insure that it will NOT do what you are stressing over, but just to be sure I will test it after I install the Volquartsen kit. I will be extremely surprised if it fires while the safety is on. If it does, I will still trust Volquartsen to rectify the problem but I am certainly not stressing over it. What a nice pistol!

Last edited by ShakeyHand; 07-13-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante is online now
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
786
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, mine are going to a gun auction.

Cutting my losses with this horrific mistaken design.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Grizzman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
KC Metro
Posts: 
45
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stressing over the MK-IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsEarl View Post
Currently, your recalled pistol's hammer, sear and safety lever are being hand fit to work together safely, as they should have been in the first place.

What is your source for this statement?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Location: 
winder, ga
Posts: 
7,528
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink MKIV recall

never have I seen so many people get so excited over a gun recall! I am 72, and I don't let anything like this ruin my day! I have shot mine waiting on my recall box to arrive, no problems. it WAS a design error, nothing terrible if you observe safe gun handling, don't worry--be happy. RUGER is doing EVERYTHING right to fix it, give them a break, already. people saying they will never buy another Ruger or selling their new MKIV is a big over reaction in my opinion. my MKIV is the best RUGER pistol I have EVER owned, and I have owned a LOT of them over the past 55 years of my shooting life. give it a REST.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 PM
ChattanoogaPhil
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Posts: 
507
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems like a lot of fuss just to avoid field stripping the 'old fashioned' way.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 AM
dbmjr1's Avatar
dbmjr1 is online now
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jan 2008
Location: 
Dixie
Posts: 
1,201
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Yeah, mine are going to a gun auction.

Cutting my losses with this horrific mistaken design.
Wow. 'Horrific'

I'd be happy to give you 10 cents on the dollar. I'd pay more, but it's 'Horrific'. I figure you can't even live with it in your house.


Personally, I love mine. It's knocked down plates thousands of times for me. I just stuffed it in a bubble wrap bag and boxed it up yesterday. It'll probably take two to three weeks to get it back. In the meantime, I'll have to suffer shooting one of their other Horrific designs, the Mk I.

I think everyone is a bit worked up about nothing. Ruger has treated us, as a gun community, very well over many years. So they made a little goof. They're handling it, and doing it in a very professional manner.

If I had a dog, I'd name him Ruger.
__________________
Don



Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante is online now
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
786
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post

I'd be happy to give you 10 cents on the dollar.

I think everyone is a bit worked up about nothing.
Seriously?

You like the gun yet you'd only give ten cents on the dollar.


That's telling everybody what it's worth.

Luckily for me, I can do very, very well at our local gun auction and cut my losses.

If you think this is the LAST recall of the MKIV you have some nasty surprises coming.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2007
Location: 
SW PA
Posts: 
1,408
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Seriously?

You like the gun yet you'd only give ten cents on the dollar.


That's telling everybody what it's worth.

Luckily for me, I can do very, very well at our local gun auction and cut my losses.

If you think this is the LAST recall of the MKIV you have some nasty surprises coming.

The ten cents on the dollar offer was based on your apparent panic to get rid of the gun.

BTW, what's the source of your certainty that there are more recalls and problems waiting in the wings for us otherwise happy mkIV owners?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2007
Location: 
SW PA
Posts: 
1,408
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Seems like a lot of fuss just to avoid field stripping the 'old fashioned' way.
Field stripping the "old fashioned way" wasn't that difficult. Reassembling it was the problem.

Those of us who learned how to do it tend to sneer at those who had problems but a lot of owners did. There is nothing wonderful about a hard to work on gun by any maker and Ruger finally decided to end the problem.

S&W sold a lot of Victory 22 models before the MkIV was introduced by claiming the gun was easy to strip and reassemble and that claim fell on receptive ears.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante is online now
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
786
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
BTW, what's the source of your certainty that there are more recalls and problems waiting in the wings for us otherwise happy mkIV owners?
The wide variety of problems I see here and on other sites.

We've only just begun.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM
dtp

Join Date: 
Mar 2012
Posts: 
258
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting that I did not get a received email for every frame from Ruger. But every frame did return reworked. Had me scratching my head for a bit. So I guess it's not unusual to get no emails.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2017, 04:13 PM
JT58
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Jan 2017
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
24
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not stressing... just ordered my Mark IV Lite! Apparently, my LGS hates money and wouldn't knock a cent off but I found plenty of good deals online. Vortex Venom ready and waiting for it to arrive!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 PM
polarys425
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Location: 
Grottoes, VA.
Posts: 
420
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I'm not stressing... just ordered my Mark IV Lite! Apparently, my LGS hates money and wouldn't knock a cent off but I found plenty of good deals online. Vortex Venom ready and waiting for it to arrive!
I fail to understand the mindset of some businesses. It seems as though some are set on making a certain amount, and won't budge. It's as if they see taking a few dollars off as a loss, instead of seeing what they made as a gain. The beauty of retail is even if you sell that one for less to make the sale, you order another to replace it and likely make your desired markup on it instead. Too many times they let a sale go because they want to make $50 dollars and aren't willing to only make $30.

It's even crazier on say a special order that the buyer is paying for up front. The business isn't tying up any of it's money, so offering a good price is a no brainer.

B&M business has got to bend and morph somewhat if it's survive the long haul. Even if it means providing a customer experience that makes you feel good about paying a little more.

I've gone as far as to show one of the LGS's here the price I can order something for and ask them to meet somewhere in between. Telling them I'd rather support local business, but that the difference is too much, and they got fairly close.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 AM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2012
Location: 
Delaware
Posts: 
190
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarys425 View Post
I fail to understand the mindset of some businesses. It seems as though some are set on making a certain amount, and won't budge. It's as if they see taking a few dollars off as a loss, instead of seeing what they made as a gain. The beauty of retail is even if you sell that one for less to make the sale, you order another to replace it and likely make your desired markup on it instead. Too many times they let a sale go because they want to make $50 dollars and aren't willing to only make $30.

It's even crazier on say a special order that the buyer is paying for up front. The business isn't tying up any of it's money, so offering a good price is a no brainer.

B&M business has got to bend and morph somewhat if it's survive the long haul. Even if it means providing a customer experience that makes you feel good about paying a little more.

I've gone as far as to show one of the LGS's here the price I can order something for and ask them to meet somewhere in between. Telling them I'd rather support local business, but that the difference is too much, and they got fairly close.
As an example: my lgs wants $500 for a Mosserg Shockwave that has a msrp of $455. I got mine for $360 on-line.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x