Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Leatherneck
US Marines Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whats the story???

How many times on this forum have I read"My rifle likes"in my case my 1 model 60 shoots CCI SV like top of the line target ammo, but the other 1 sprays them all over the county.My Glenfield likes mini mags and Federal American Eagle,my old stevens 66B likes winchester bulk.
We all take it for granted that each rifle has its own favorites BUT WHY? The rifles I have (the Marlins) come from the same factory ,made on the same machines,and for the most part made by the same people so why the big difference in the fodder that they prefer? Not that this is the most pressing question of the age but does anyone have an answer?
Leatherneck
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 PM
JAB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have little knowledge of how barrels are made, but here is my guess. Even though the barrels were made on the same machinery, the tooling wears Down, cutting at slightly different sizes. Combine that with different bullet makers or even lots you would have slightly different specs. So you have to find the best bullet and load for your barrel.

Last edited by JAB; 08-01-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 PM
**oneshot**

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My freind and I both have remington 700's in 308win. I have to load his a full grain higher than mine to get the same groups. Seating depth off the lands is very close in both rifles.
I am lucky with my rimfires. I have 3 that just love the same target ammo. My hunting rifle loves a different flavor but it also shoots most anything really good, but only a few that it really shoots awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
jerryg22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
94% (42)
There is also variation in the harmonics due to the way the action sets in the barrel and the torque of the action screws.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM
inliner6
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You also have variations in the steel itself. Even in the same "type" of steels, different heat lots will have slightly different chemical makeups and crystalline structure. The number of variables that go into mass production of anything as complex as a firearm pretty much makes it a given that each one will be different. They'll of course be within tolerance but just different enough to make things interesting when comparing samples. Let's also look at all those same variables in the brass, lead, and powder mix in each lot of ammo. You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure it all out.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
gltucker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I come from the hot spot in MI where GM calls home. I bet the same manufacturing jargon applied to guns like cars. If you ever got a horrible car back in the day off of the lot, people replied to is as a holiday or weekend car. People just didn't care they just wanted to be elsewhere. I've heard of many stories for old family members and the like.

Ruger went through a re-tooling maybe guns vary given the make up of the materials and the composition of the raw materials that go into those final goods.