1710 Anschutz sporter - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:28 PM
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
1710 Anschutz sporter

I need information on this wing safety 1710. It has a single stage trigger, I'd like to buy a two stage trigger and hopefully get Mr. Neil Stepp to recam it and drop the pull weight to about two ounces. Or, if there is a better choice out there I'd like to hear about it. No doubt that I have come to the right place, Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Don
Old 10-20-2021, 03:38 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If you are going down that far you must be thinking targets and bench only, I don't know if the early target rifle (1411) trigger will work on the sporter, but a member on here reworks them to one of the best I have ever pulled.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2021, 03:39 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
If a new, wing safety two stage trigger is still available, it would cost at least $300, before any mod expense.
Rightly or wrongly, I happen to be of the belief that no trigger intended for a 1700 series(meaning either the single stage or two stage) should or can be less than about eight ounces.
You just can't turn sporters into a super light trigger pull 54:18 msr or 54 Match gun.
Someone will probably post about adapting something else, but that's out of my wheelhouse, and more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2021, 03:41 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
If a new, wing safety two stage trigger is still available, it would cost at least $300, before any mod expense.
Rightly or wrongly, I happen to be of the belief that no trigger intended for a 1700 series(meaning either the single stage or two stage) should or can be less than about eight-ten ounces.
You just can't turn sporters into a super light trigger pull 54:18 msr or 54 Match gun.
Someone will probably post about adapting something else, but that's out of my wheelhouse, and more expensive.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
If you are going down that far you must be thinking targets and bench only, I don't know if the early target rifle (1411) trigger will work on the sporter, but a member on here reworks them to one of the best I have ever pulled.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I have my own 50 yard range here at my house, It will never be carried afield, I'm 77 years old and can't hunt my favorite game animal, grey squirrels, so I shoot from the bench only. I have two two stage triggers on a 1712 and a 1710 HB that Mr. Neil Stepp of international shooters supply re cammed for me, beautiful 2 ounce triggers.
I'll need to find out if the wing safety models can be modified before I spent the money to buy another trigger.Thank you Sir for the information.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:11 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I doubt you'll get any information here that you can't get from Neal Stepp.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:27 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
I doubt you'll get any information here that you can't get from Neal Stepp.
Exactly.
btw, Champion's Choice wants $340 for a two stage wing safety trigger.
I doubt that the safety type makes a difference when recamming.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:10 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
It seems there are many here who change the single-stage triggers out for the two-stage, leaving all those single-stage triggers unused. I don't hear about nearly as many who replace their two-stage triggers. I wonder whether or not there is any market for the spare single-stage triggers? Granted, I'm guessing there are 10 or 20 single-stage-equipped rifles for every rifle purchased with the two-stage.

Anyway, I just changed out a single-stage for a DST on a 1717. The wing safety 1717 was much more desirable to me than a side safety rifle, just because I still have a safety even with the DST, which would not have been the case with a current 1710 with side safety rifles. I'm sitting here looking at the old trigger thinking it's just a waste having it sitting here unused.

To the OP, the DST is also very nice but much harder to come by, and it requires different bottom metal and rear action screw. Still, the DST provides a very crisp and light pull. if you can find one.

Eye candy:

1717 1.jpg

1717 2.jpg

TBR
Old 10-20-2021, 07:40 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
I changed out every 1712 two stage trigger for a single stage version. Quite a few actually.
Buying a new single stage for a new 1712 barreled action, and finding someone pretty easily to buy the two stage take off. Plus or minus a few dollars-it didn't matter.
My purpose was different from most folks. The actions were sent to LeRoy for a custom stock, and on an artful classic style stocked gun, the single stage just looks better. I also installed a medium or heavy J+P spring in them.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
It seems there are many here who change the single-stage triggers out for the two-stage, leaving all those single-stage triggers unused. I don't hear about nearly as many who replace their two-stage triggers. I wonder whether or not there is any market for the spare single-stage triggers? Granted, I'm guessing there are 10 or 20 single-stage-equipped rifles for every rifle purchased with the two-stage.

Anyway, I just changed out a single-stage for a DST on a 1717. The wing safety 1717 was much more desirable to me than a side safety rifle, just because I still have a safety even with the DST, which would not have been the case with a current 1710 with side safety rifles. I'm sitting here looking at the old trigger thinking it's just a waste having it sitting here unused.

To the OP, the DST is also very nice but much harder to come by, and it requires different bottom metal and rear action screw. Still, the DST provides a very crisp and light pull. if you can find one.

Eye candy:

Attachment 273689

Attachment 273691

TBR
Beautiful rifle for sure, I sure enjoy this rifle and it wants to shoot but after years of 2 to 3 ounces it seems like this trigger at 9.5 to 10 ounces is tough to get used to.
Farrell industries is making me a rail for it and i'm going to put a Harrells tuner on it, if it does what I think it will do, I'll be looking for a trigger, or if one comes up, it may befirst. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
I changed out every 1712 two stage trigger for a single stage version. Quite a few actually.
Buying a new single stage for a new 1712 barreled action, and finding someone pretty easily to buy the two stage take off. Plus or minus a few dollars-it didn't matter.
My purpose was different from most folks. The actions were sent to LeRoy for a custom stock, and on an artful classic style stocked gun, the single stage just looks better. I also installed a medium or heavy J+P spring in them.
I absolutely understand. The two-stage triggers may work great, but they look like something one would find on a stapler.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:07 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
Quote:
I absolutely understand. The two-stage triggers may work great, but they look like something one would find on a stapler.
Pretty pricey stapler. They may not be as elegant as the single-stage trigger, but I sure like how they feel when shooting.

Doug
Old 10-21-2021, 11:57 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Safeties? I never use them or trust them, so no matter what type you have, you have a fine rifle. A well adjusted single stage trigger in the hands of a good shooter will work very well, so I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing what you have. If you have a trustworthy gunsmith (Mr. Stepp surely is one) that can adjust your trigger to the weight you want, go for it.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
I changed out every 1712 two stage trigger for a single stage version............... the single stage just looks better. I also installed a medium or heavy J+P spring in them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Pretty pricey stapler. They may not be as elegant as the single-stage trigger, but I sure like how they feel when shooting. Doug
I think you fellows might be onto something! If I may....

The 54 Sporter triggers are very similar to the 64 Sporter triggers. I understand the housings and most parts are the same. As this has come up before, we could never understand why Anschutz put the better triggers on the 64 Sporters.

We know Mr. Stepp can convert the 54 sporter 5109 two stage (with the fugly target blade) to the 64 Action 5098 (with the fugly target blade) configuration; that is to a two two-stage with about 5-7 ounce total pull.

I believe he does this by using the 5098 adjustment lever and spring in the 5109 assembly. Not sure but I'd bet. And you'd still have an fugly trigger.

Which brings me to my favorite 64 sporter trigger, the 5091 two-stage, forerunner to the 5098. Same 5-7 ounce pull weight, but curved blade. This trigger was on the 64 Exemplars and the 64MS rifles.

I refuse to put the goofy blade 5098 trigger on a 64 sporter given the 5091 alternative and have collected a few 5091 curved blade triggers. Not just better looking but also better feeling.

I bet a nickel that since Neal can change a (54) 5109 into a (64) 5098 configuration, he can do the same with the (54) 5096 single-stage curved blade trigger as there is the corresponding (64) 5109 5-7 ounce with curved blade.

So OP Don I would ask Neal if he could. That is turn your 5096 single stage into a two stage 5-7 ounce trigger as one exists for the 64 rifles (5091)...Tom

Adjustment lever:

Old 10-27-2021, 03:25 PM
jcw3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stepp converted my 1712 a few years ago and it turned out great. I had an early 90's model 1712 that I used for sporter benchrest. The single-stage trigger was around 5 oz, but Stepp converted the blade/cam over and got it down to a little over 2 oz. The two-stage trigger definitely has a different feel and is not a nice as some other true benchrest rifles; but for an off-the-shelf sporter, it's about as good as it gets.

Hit Stepp up, he will be the man to talk to.