USPS Rant - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:18 AM
OldCZFan
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
USPS Rant

Almost two weeks ago, I shipped a long gun via USPS to a RFC member out West. Using USPS tracking, from South Carolina to Greensboro, NC took two or so days and then it vanished until October 14. It then surfaced at a Utah Zip Code and in the last five days since then, it apparently has not moved.

USPS tracking is of no help and I can't request a search until October 21, two weeks after the Post Office accepted the package. It seems impossible to speak to a human, the USPS hides behind computers, I guess to avoid answering tough questions like "Where is my package" or When will it be delivered?".

I spoke to a local FFL holder and he said he never ships via USPS these day. I can see whey.

Also, the USPS shipping rates are outrageous now.

I would caution any RFC member thinking of shipping via USPS to have a care.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:38 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They’ve decided to slow down service, in order to cut costs. This is bureaucratic logic at its fulcrum. Not recognizing the inevitable consequences , loss of customers, of this policy, because their only objective is achieving their goal. At zero customers, they will be able to shut the whole thing down, and cut costs to zero.

They dont realize that the postman is the most common , daily, interaction that most people have with the government, and that daily contact , usually a pleasant and rewarding necessity, is what keeps the populace content and compliant .

Rather than cut postal service, they really should expand it , so that we can see our tax dollars at work, and make our bureaucratic interactions a positive experience.

My mailman , is a great guy, and I look forward to our daily interaction. He’s retiring soon, because , as he says, its just not the Post Office anymore.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:39 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I feel your pain OldCZFan.

I ordered a $300 mancooler pump for a customer in Saudi Arabia. The east coast vendor shipped it via USPS. About a week later our mailman delivered the label off the box in one of those USPS "We Care and are so sorry we mangled your mail" clear plastic bags.

At some point they had destroyed the pump and the box it shipped in but thought cutting the label off and delivering it to us would somehow make things right.

It was insured and the vendor sent a replacement but that sort of oblivious incompetence just blows my mind.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2021, 11:50 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I guess it depends on where you send your items from and to what kind of service you may expect from the USPS. I've been using them to ship long guns and many other items for a long time and have never had a problem with any of them...

Watching this and other forums you will find at least an equal amount of complaints about FedEx, UPS, and just about every other carrier available at one time or another. You definitely take your chances any more when you ship something across the country (or anywhere for that matter)...

Bob
Old 10-19-2021, 11:53 AM
OldCZFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Since USPS raised shipping rates while providing worse service only adds salt to the wound. I paid in excess of $100 to ship the package and to me, at least, it is valuable and I presume the same applies to the the RFC member it ships to who may start to think I am running a scam or a film-flam.

That being said, late last week I mailed a small priority mail package to a RFC member in Waxhaw, NC and it got there overnight.

I used the USPS since it is about eight miles from my house while the USPS hub in West Columbia, SC is about forty miles from my house. In the future, I will drive the additional distance.

Okay, I'm through. Whew!
Old 10-19-2021, 12:09 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
USPS locally has become legend for their incompetence with the Greensboro Distribution Center being ground zero for many if not most problems, a RFC member shipped me a Holster from Garner NC to Mebane, it arrived over a week later having tracked to Greensboro then on to Richmond Va. to a PO in Northern Va. then back to Greensboro and a couple of days later me in Mebane a whopping 25 miles away. My local carrier says much of it is Union related as they push for more pay, more overtime etc.

Frankly I don't care how good they may be elsewhere, they hoover here. A magazine sent to me from Germany sat on a shelf in the Local PO for two weeks before they sent it back as undeliverable. I avoid using them as much as possible, while UPS and Fedup have their problems the USPS tops them with ease.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:17 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm with you Gerald. I used to brag on them but those days are long gone.

A month or so ago I ordered an IR air drill for a customer. Vendor showed sending it USPS. After 2 weeks I did the tracking and USPS said it was delivered to the "front desk." My daughter works from the front desk and she was 100% sure it hadn't been delivered.

Filed a claim, flurry of emails, another week or two goes by and they finally say they're going to honor the claim.

That same day our mailman delivered the drill. The box was beaten like a red headed step-child but the drill was OK. Right now they are just an unmitigated fustercluck!

Frank
Old 10-19-2021, 12:18 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had almost the exact same experience with UPS a short while ago. While I am no fan of the USPS I think all the delivery services in the USA are pretty poor.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:30 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Greensboro is a crap hole..I have had some minor problems with stuff that went through there..But nothing ever lost..I have actually never had the PO completely lose or destroy anything..I ship a lot of stuff with them..

If I have trouble occasionally..I have friends at the local PO..Managers..And they get stuff moving again..They even drove down to Omaha Distribution Center for me once to find a package that was in limbo there..

I am confident unless your package was addressed wrong or the package was not wrapped securely..It will arrive sooner or later..Bad packaging is the worse thing you can do with any shipper..When you think it is good enough..Double Down..
Old 10-19-2021, 12:39 PM
OldCZFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
carbine one -

Thanks for your words of assurance. You are probably right that it will in fact be delivered at some point but at the moment, I am frustrated with the abysmal performance of the USPS.

OldCZFan
Old 10-19-2021, 12:40 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
fwiw,

i use them unless i cant. No problems, so far.

Its funny all of you complain about service but changes are you probably are responsible for them gutting the system.

you get what you pay (or dont pay) for.

and all of the places i have visited around the world. its the SOS-DP. no one is happy with their postals service.

good luck
Old 10-19-2021, 12:42 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Me too CZ Fan

pipestone

Last edited by pipestone; 10-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:48 PM
OldCZFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
'Its funny all of you complain about service but changes are you probably are responsible for them gutting the system."

How is that? For $104 and change, I think I deserve better service that I have received on this shipment. I never contacted either of my senators or my house representative in Washington and advised "I want crappy service from the USPS. Please introduce a bill in congress to make the USPS more inefficient."

I guess I may have misunderstood your post.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:09 PM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
USPS locally has become legend for their incompetence with the Greensboro Distribution Center being ground zero for many if not most problems, a RFC member shipped me a Holster from Garner NC to Mebane, it arrived over a week later having tracked to Greensboro then on to Richmond Va. to a PO in Northern Va. then back to Greensboro and a couple of days later me in Mebane a whopping 25 miles away. My local carrier says much of it is Union related as they push for more pay, more overtime etc.

Frankly I don't care how good they may be elsewhere, they hoover here. A magazine sent to me from Germany sat on a shelf in the Local PO for two weeks before they sent it back as undeliverable. I avoid using them as much as possible, while UPS and Fedup have their problems the USPS tops them with ease.
Yet, The USPS hikes their mailing cost, with worse service.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:19 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
People complain about the price of everything..It is all getting ridiculous..But be careful about demonizing the PO too much..If some got their wish and they went away..A simple letter across the Country will likely start costing 10.00 if the PO vanished overnight.

The PO is a mess at times..But they are necessary..They may lose money..But if they vanished we would all lose money very quickly..They handle just in first class mail a day..A staggering 180,000,000 pieces a day..I am absolutely astounded they can do that kind of volume at a success rate they do it at.

All the other shippers combined do not even come close to those numbers in their volume..

I am just grateful they can find people dumb enough to drudge through snow banks, sub zero temps, extreme heat, killer dogs, to deliver mail to ingrates

Yes I wish the PO was a little more efficient at times with our stuff..Wish the people who provide other services for me were also....But I am still grateful they exist..You should be also..

We have simply became a society expecting instant gratification, all the time..Remember the old saying, "patience is a virtue" Well not anymore..

I still think 60 cents to get a letter from NY to CA is a bargain..I think it was like 1.50 back is the Pony express days, and it took 3 months..LOL

Last edited by carbineone; 10-19-2021 at 01:49 PM.