Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Question about metals used outside

I just found out I now have mice in my basement. I have French doors on the back of my house at the deck. My house is a brick front with the rest stucco, except.....right under those French doors. There is a board there with two small holes chewed in where the mice are getting in. What metal should I use, that does not cost much, that can withstand all the outside weather? Metal is the only thing I have thought of to face off that board so the mice cannot keep getting in.

Another question while I am at it. My hot water tank has been dripping but itís getting worse and the drain in the floor is just 4í away, but it seems to not want to go to the drain. I was thinking spray foam insulation to make a dam around the hot water tank and then a canal to divert it to the drain. The floor is wet right now, but not sure that foam insulation out of a can would even seal against a dry floor, let alone a damp one. Any ideas? Thanks folks for any help or ideas you can think of. Just keep in mind I have little money to spend on it.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:30 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A roll of aluminum flashing might cover the whole board Gizzy, or some steel wool in the two existing holes would stop them for the moment https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralta...625A/202092843

Your hot water heater is rusting out from the inside most likely and when it blows a foam dam isn't going to help much. I know money's tight for you but some things do not respond well to temporary repairs and a hot water heater is one of them.

If you can't afford to replace it, turn it off and close the supply line or risk having the space flooded where it resides.

Frank
Old 10-18-2021, 04:31 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I’d fill the mouse holes with some epoxy putty and paint it to match. Metal is not going to do any good. They will just find another way to get in. Try some peppermint oil on cotton balls around the perimeter of the basement along with one of those ultrasonic things to make the inside of your house less attractive to them. A leaking hot water tank is probably fixing to let go, unless the drip is coming from the pressure relief valve or the drain. If it is one of those two you might get away with replacing them. Otherwise I’d replace the whole heater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2021, 05:02 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post a picture of Al on the french doors. That will scare them away.
......Tom Petty
Old 10-18-2021, 05:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Gizzy, bum some of this stuff off one of your neighbors!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tomcat-4...2244/205566244
Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 PM
ingwe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I just found out I now have mice in my basement. I have French doors on the back of my house at the deck. My house is a brick front with the rest stucco, except.....right under those French doors. There is a board there with two small holes chewed in where the mice are getting in. What metal should I use, that does not cost much, that can withstand all the outside weather? Metal is the only thing I have thought of to face off that board so the mice cannot keep getting in.

Another question while I am at it. My hot water tank has been dripping but itís getting worse and the drain in the floor is just 4í away, but it seems to not want to go to the drain. I was thinking spray foam insulation to make a dam around the hot water tank and then a canal to divert it to the drain. The floor is wet right now, but not sure that foam insulation out of a can would even seal against a dry floor, let alone a damp one. Any ideas? Thanks folks for any help or ideas you can think of. Just keep in mind I have little money to spend on it.
Mice have not built a nest in the engines of my garden tractors since I sprinkled some ground red pepper in there.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:51 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Copper steel wool shouldn't rust for a temporary fix.
If the water tank is aged it might be time to replace. Sometimes before they let go you don't get warning leaks IME.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Post a picture of Al on the french doors. That will scare them away.
LOL!

Sorry Al, but that made me smile !!!

Time to replace the water heater Gizzy!

R
Old 10-19-2021, 07:50 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Polyurethane Foam sticks better to wet surfaces.

Re purpose some empty beer cans to patch the holes. Aluminum will last an amazing long time exposed to the elements.
Just be sure to use aluminum or stainless nails to fasten them.

I agree with others that your water heater is about to catastrophically fail.

Speaking of cats. Get some. Mice don't like 'em.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The water heater might be leaking from a fitting, which can be tightened.

It's not something to ignore, but in-general, if the tank itself was leaking the pressure would cause a stream of water, not a drip.

They are cheap and simple to replace. Again, don't ignore that because the cleanup if it does fail is no joke. They all have a drain (which is meant to be used to regularly remove sediment, you hook up a hose) and once empty, weigh very little.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
The water heater might be leaking from a fitting, which can be tightened.
Possible but worth checking.
They all have a drain (which is meant to be used to regularly remove sediment, you hook up a hose) and once empty, weigh very little.
Hardly anyone does it round here but those on a well should make it a regular maintenance as you say. I've done my city water several times into a laundry tub with a catch filter and there was but a few grains of sand from when the city did major street work here. YMMV of course Giz.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:39 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
For a temporary fix, stuff bronze wool (won't rust) into the holes and spray the entire threshold with hot pepper spray (which you might need to repeat every week or so). Longer term, there are metal-capped thresholds for a total replacement.

Doug
Old 10-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
The hot water heater is leaking from underneath. No valves leaking. Itís rusting through and I do not have the $900 to have it replaced. I figured I was screwed. I know when it lets go for gold nothing will stop it other than shutting it off. I just need to sow down what I have for now. I will end up with freezing cold water this winter, which means no showers at all. I can wash clothes in cold water but I cannot shower it in.

I thought about the steel wool already for those s holes that are there from the mice, but they will just move over a foot and chew another one. I might have to go with the black pepper along the entire bottom of that board. That is covered with my snap food cars so I can order extra next time I get groceries and keep it covered. My house will be going up for tax lien certificates the first of November, so I have to prepare to be living out of my truck sometime next spring. Selling off all of my reloading gear. Pool table, ping pong table, everything I do not need to leave has to go. Just hate the thought of no showers this winter.

If I had a pic of Al anything is worth a try....lol. Sorry Al, you know I love all you guys.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:34 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What happened with the reverse mortgage Giz?

Al the Verminator

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1634657617
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB8643AE-DA9D-4EA6-A36F-B77E219875BD_1_201_a.jpg (513.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Around here employers are begging for workers.