My Very First - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2021, 03:03 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My Very First

I had just had a long talk with myself this past weekend as I was going through one of the safes and we (me, myself, & I) came to the conclusion that we "Did Not Need, Nor Should We Buy Another 22 LR Rimfire".

So this morning I was doing my normal Costco run for a few items ( They were totally out of TP . . . by the way) along with gassing up the truck. Part of that weekly venture is to stop by one of the LGS in that area and as usual it's mostly the same firearms that I have looked at week after week, but passing by the used section brought me to a brand I have never seen before. I had read about them on this forum and fairly impressed based on comments from the fellow RFC members.

I picked up the rifle that I would have guessed to be a CZ 45x Trainer . . . but low and behold on the side was stamped "BRNO 2E" and it was in absolutely excellent condition.

This is the very first BRNO I have ever held in my hand as we just do not see them around our neck of the woods. I did a quick search on my smartphone and got some additional background, and the hook was set.

Manufacturer: Brno Arms
Model: 2 E
Type: Rifle
Gauge: 22 LR
Barrel: 24 3/4 inch round
Finish: Blue
Stock: Walnut
Rating: NB - EXCELLENT- near new condition 95% - 98%,
No noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing near perfect.
Description: With matching factory box, and papers.

I was really impressed it came with the original box and paperwork . . . including the 50 meter test target.

Yes it came home with me and my CZ 452's, 453's, 455's, & 457's have an ancestor in their midst.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brno-01.jpg (92.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Brno-02.jpg (72.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Brno-03.jpg (84.2 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 10-18-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:15 PM
1Rudedawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great score and congrats on a beautiful rifle. I would love to stumble across a rifle like that.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Shorty123
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice score!!
Old 10-18-2021, 04:04 PM
beartrax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Likely made in the 80s. Not a true Brno, but certainly worth owning. I have one like it.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:24 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks like a very nice rifle. If I am allowed to understate. The one or two of these late Brno that I can remember closely looking over, did not have high grade stocks like that. I am not so much into boxes because they seem more a burden than asset. In this case, that is a pretty cool addition to the package, paper and all.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't own any CZ's. Yet. We (me, myself and I) keep having the same discussion and sometimes my wife joins in to agree that we don't need any more rifles. But then something comes along that I just can't pass up. Who knows the next one that I don't need may be a CZ...
Old 10-18-2021, 05:04 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
Sounds like a familiar story. Back in 2012 I walked into a new local gun store just to see what they had. After browsing the new guns, I thought I should check out the used guns. I saw one that sure looked like a CZ452 Trainer in the rack across the counter. I asked the clerk if I could take a look, he handed it to me, and I thought, Whoa, this is a Brno Model 1! It was the first Model 1 I had ever held, and it was love at first sight. How much?, I asked. He said $400; I said SOLD! No box or paperwork though (my best guess is 1949). Still love it and it is one of the most accurate sporters I have without being ammo fussy. It has since gained three "cousins". I'm betting you will love that Model 2 as well, and it will have cousins soon too. CZs and Brnos like big families.

Enjoy!!!

Doug
Old 10-18-2021, 05:42 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This was part of a 3-gun set that was purchased from Rock Island Auctions and by far the best of the set. The pictures came from the auction site so I need to get a couple pictures out in the sunlight as the ones posted do not do it justice.

This one was made in 1992 according to the barrel stamp. I did take the action out of the stock and was impressed with the fit of the action to the wood. I gave it a good cleaning and the stock now has a good coat of Renaissance Wax. The action and barrel didn't take much effort to clean up but one thing I failed to due was look it over with my bore scope. The action has a matte finish but the barrel is blued and doesn't have any rust spots that I can see. The action screws had a bit of rust coating, but cleaned up nicely.

My only challenge at this point is the small sling swivels. I had a 1" military sling but it was far too big to fit and besides that the brass clips wouldn't fit through the swivels. I do have a 1" set of CZ swivels but same story on those - the brass clips won't allow passage. So I will probably look for a different 3/4" sling . . . should be easy to resolve. I plan at least initially keep and shoot this one with iron sights.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:12 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hope you can live with the sling swivels as they are. Those little sling loops come up missing on so many euro guns and it drives people nuts. Or in other terms, it has a significant effect on the value. I know you can try and save the parts, but; kind of a shame to start making improvements, if, I read that right.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
RJ sir Oh boy your in so much trouble now your first Brno....Lord help you find as many as you desire. Don't take this wrong but I hate you for getting such a nice one....Holy Smokes You knocked it out of the park.

Signalman
Old 10-21-2021, 08:09 PM
Themroc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brno in Australia

From the 1950's on, Brno sold 22LRs in Australia, to farmers and hunters. It seems every farm had "Bruno" for a multitude of tasks. I thought you might like to see some of these, still being bought and sold on the "Used Guns" trading site. No 1's, No 2's and even some tgf's.

https://usedguns.com.au/search-resul...&includeSold=1

Cheers, Michael.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:03 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No wonder we never seem them around here . . . usedguns.com.au has them all. That is quite an inventory . . . I'd love to spend a couple hours looking those over in person.
I hope to get to the range with mine tomorrow to see how it performs.

Last edited by rjferber; 10-21-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:45 AM
DGNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RJF, that BRNO 2E is a great find and we thank you for displaying it here. We also look forward to your range report, and possibly a peek at the test target, which we know is primarily a function test.

I imagine that the high you felt in finding that rifle will be supplemented nicely by the results of your range endeavors.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:19 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNY View Post
RJF, that BRNO 2E is a great find and we thank you for displaying it here. We also look forward to your range report, and possibly a peek at the test target, which we know is primarily a function test.

I imagine that the high you felt in finding that rifle will be supplemented nicely by the results of your range endeavors.
Two for one . . . The test target and a sample from my initial range report:

The test target center circle is about an 1 1/8" and the section from my target is also attached. A cool day at the range with a breeze upwards of 10-15 mph coming from my left. The range was 53 yards according to my range finder. I used CCI Std Velocity, Norma Match, Eley Club, and my old standby of SK Rifle Match for the initial testing. SK Rifle Match easily the best as it is in all my CZ's. I only had 19 rounds left in that box so one group only has 4 rounds. The other types of ammo would have 2-3 or 3-4 in a nice grouping with a flyer or two . . . probably caused by the jerk behind the trigger.

The initial group of SK Rifle Match ( upper left corner) was the worst but also the last ammo to be tested, then moving counter clockwise around the square. I was using the red corner of the target as my aim point. No cleaning between ammo types . . . and I was shooting off a front rest and rear bag. I'm sure the rifle is capable of more than I show in this not-so-scientific initial test.

Yes, I'm happy with the Brno 2E . . . . . and as usual - even my results are better than the test target.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.02.30 AM.jpg (88.1 KB, 10 views)