Finally broke in - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:15 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Finally broke in

Ive been messing about the past couple years with my various rifles in between catching up on overdue homestead projects and a new off-grid, dry cabin on 9+ acres. All that, and weather that has only limited good conditions when I do actually have time to shoot has saved most of my ammo, good thing that, anyway.
The 10/22 project gun has several iterations it can morph into, different barrels and stocks, but the basic action is mostly stock with JWH bolt from the old sale days and their 'trigger kit hammer' (the rest of the kit still packaged, wanted to feel how the just the hammer changed things).
When I first played with this 10/22 it only wanted to shoot HV ammo reliably, same after the JWH bolt, so various HV is what Ive used until today. I reconfigured it to my 'Ultra-Lite', 4.25# as a woods loafer for squirrels and decided to try some SV purple box Eley Sport. It rocked right through. Then figured try some Rem Sub-Sonic I had saved up and it rocked that too. I noted the report from the Rem SS is a tad milder.
Guess the gun is broke in now Sweet
Old 10-15-2021, 01:27 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whew, I thought someone had broke into your house and stole all your guns.

That's interesting about your rifle.
My wife and I both have 10/22s and they have run SV from day one.
And they both have very good triggers.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:35 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sorry to give you a fright!
This one was a gun-show find a few years ago, iirc a '99? Trigger was awful....even when all was cleaned and lubed, likely the first time it had been apart. Didnt seem to be heavily used.
And it is my first 10/22. It has been fun, educational and turned into a money eating hole as I got revved (lol ) But considering I can make it into 4 different rifles maybe not so bad? A part here, another there and the loose change adds up to real dollars.......
It didnt like lead waxy lube SV bullets. Too many hiccups, so I went with CCI MiniMags, then other plated HV loads, even some old Bucket of Goldens that functioned fine. Added in some Fed AutoMatch over time that kinda became my go-to. Might add that this is not a 'target gun' for me, I have others that are.
That it now runs mild mannered SV and waxy ammo pleases me. This 16.5" modded barrel barks with HV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2021, 07:45 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well like I said, ours have pretty good triggers.
I could put new hammers in them for an even better pull, but if my wife had a light trigger, she would keep me so busy loading magazines that I wouldn't have time to shoot. When I fill up her magazines she has 90 rounds on tap.
I have one 10 round magazine.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:38 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Maybe your wife is like mine? She puts down the suppressing fire giving me time to make the precision shots
Old 10-15-2021, 10:47 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a good way to look at it I guess.
She loves to throw lead. I put an Archangel stock on hers.
She calls it her assault rifle.
I took the red dot off and installed a 4x scope so maybe she'll start trying for groups instead of causing a dust cloud on the berm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nancy's rifle.JPG (155.8 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by bugeye; 10-15-2021 at 10:49 PM.