Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:12 PM
outdoorman
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Venemous Snakes

Being a relatively new deer hunter, I'm trying out different hunting methods: I expect to hunt in (deer stands, climbing stands, hang on and ground blinds.
One concern I have is having a surprise encounters with a venomous snake when set up in one of these platforms. For example: going into a brushed-in ground blind or finding on in a tree after I'm already sitting in the stand. Are these encounters realistic or just a bit of paranoia on my part?
BTW, here in south Georgia it stays warm much of the year so snakes can be active through winter.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:22 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
North Florida has diamondback and pygmy rattlers, copperheads
and if it's bottom lands expect a moccasin or two when wandering the brush.
Heavy boots, chaps and a shooting stick are standard gear.
The shooting stick does double duty as a standing brace for the rifle and
pulling game out from the underbrush so as to avoid upper body exposure.
Handy for deflecting irritated reptiles when ya' don't see 'em until too late.
Chaps prevent thorny vines from perforating y'er legs when pushing through palmettos.

Snakes aren't my biggest worry.
Mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks, wasps, hornets and yellow jackets are serious irritations.

Last edited by jaia; 10-13-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:29 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look in blind with flashlight before proceeding. And donít leave anything in your blind a snake can hide under. Donít forget about wasp nest too. They like blinds.
In the roof part usually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2021, 03:47 PM
Ojaileveraction

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
One concern I have is having a surprise encounters with a venomous snake when set up in one of these platforms. .... Are these encounters realistic or just a bit of paranoia on my part?

If you don't see any snakes of other shy critters you are probably doing it wrong.

Last edited by Ojaileveraction; 10-13-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:09 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Snakes are on my mind anytime i am in the woods when it is 40 degrees or more ,i was almost bitten 2 times in one day in Middle Tenn while scouting for deer. I just wear good boots and keep my eyes open, i also carry my cell phone. I spent some time in a country years ago that had snakes big enuff to crush you so i try my best to stay alert to them.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:01 PM
1Rudedawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here in MS I wore snake leggings during archery, primitive weapon and 1st rifle season until after the 1st hard frost and even after then have to keep a careful watch.

Last edited by 1Rudedawg; 10-13-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:45 PM
DoneDeere

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in sunny south Florida and snakes big and small are everywhere.
I chopped up 2 of the devils in the past week in my backyard with my machete.
My neighbors say they crawl into their garages, I hate them all...
Old 10-13-2021, 06:55 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to treat all snakes like they were poisonous and kill em. But like life I soon realized Iíd rather live with a few snakes than lots of rats.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Being a relatively new deer hunter, I'm trying out different hunting methods: I expect to hunt in (deer stands, climbing stands, hang on and ground blinds.
One concern I have is having a surprise encounters with a venomous snake when set up in one of these platforms. For example: going into a brushed-in ground blind or finding on in a tree after I'm already sitting in the stand. Are these encounters realistic or just a bit of paranoia on my part?
BTW, here in south Georgia it stays warm much of the year so snakes can be active through winter.
All snakes in south Georgia are poison.
They also have the ability to bite you from either end.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:31 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (82)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
All snakes in south Georgia are poison.
They also have the ability to bite you from either end.
LOL!!!
Old 10-14-2021, 09:03 AM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I did some tours in Thailand years ago. We had several kinds of them and none were any good in my observation. A flashlight at night was essential in walking about. Also, during the rainy season they all looked for high ground. A friend of mine was almost bite while checking the wheel well of an aircraft, a cobra was up above the tire.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:01 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
I did some tours in Thailand years ago. We had several kinds of them and none were any good in my observation. A flashlight at night was essential in walking about. Also, during the rainy season they all looked for high ground. A friend of mine was almost bite while checking the wheel well of an aircraft, a cobra was up above the tire.
I've never seen a North American venomous snake(sheltered life eh?) and only saw a few in Vietnam of which one was in an underground bunker and the soldier that flipped out by the sight of it that opened up on it on full auto with an M16 was lucky he didn't kill any of his comrades! He'd never seen a snake in his life before and this one was a really big one!
Old 10-14-2021, 10:30 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Did he hit the snake Al? I ran over a python at Subic. Thought it was a tree limb lying across both lanes. Must not have hurt it too bad it slithered off into the jungle.

We get rattlers around here but they're not aggressive unless you step on them or stick your hand in their face. I worry more about the dog than me. If you're humping the toolies below 7000' or so in Colorado and smell cucumbers there's a pretty good chance you'll find a den nearby.

I understand fear of snakes but I wish people wouldn't kill them for no reason. A lot of them are beneficial.

Frank
Old 10-14-2021, 12:28 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A den of cucumbers?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 PM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm so glad venomous snakes are few and far between around here. I don't even like having to deal with the non-venomous ones, and we have a lot of those. One guy who travels the country said he sees more snakes in South/central Illinois than anywhere else in the country. I think its because we don't kill them.