Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:53 PM
Dusterdave173

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DOMINANT EYE QUESTIONS

I have been shooting my CZ 457 for over a year now--am deep into 22 and having a ball My CZ with good ammo will do 1/4 in 50 yd and 1/2 in 100 yd groups when all is right I use a bipod off of concrete bench with rear bag I have a Diamondback tactical Vortex 6-24x50 FFP that I really like

OK I just discovered about Dominant Eye--I am right handed and LEFT dominant eye
I have always used my right eye with left one closed--I can shoot great like it is but.................
Do I need to try and use my Left eye??? Maybe try Left handed????
Whre do i go from here? With pistol the swap is easy--can do but with my rifle I wonder what to do?????
Old 10-06-2021, 03:07 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many years ago I spent a lot of time looking at bighorn sheep through a spotting scope. I found wearing a patch on my left eye greatly reduced eye strain. It was hard to just close an eye without squinting.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:33 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It just means you can't shoot with both eyes open.

No problem.......lots of right handers close the left eye.

I sometimes do it myself now that my eyes are old and my left eye sometimes tries to take over for my right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2021, 03:41 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Dave if you're shooting consistent groups of 1/4 in @ 50 yd and 1/2 in @ 100 yd I wouldn't change a thing except maybe start entering some formal competitions. That's exceptionally good shooting with a sporter class rifle right there!

Frank
Old 10-06-2021, 04:05 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It just means you can't shoot with both eyes open.

No problem.......lots of right handers close the left eye.
Never could shoot a shotgun with both eyes open like all the egg spurts said I should because of the same consternating problem. I'm too old to bother switching now unless I lose vision in the right eye.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:10 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Never could shoot a shotgun with both eyes open like all the egg spurts said I should because of the same consternating problem. I'm too old to bother switching now unless I lose vision in the right eye.
And we are all hoping that does not happen.

Not much advantage to having both eyes open.

Sometimes you can see an animal go down with the left eye while the right eye is blocked as the gun recoils.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Dusterdave173

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It has taken over a year--but range is very close to my home so I am retired and over there all the time--and it has taken a small banks worth of $$$ for ammo to learn on--I fire over 500 rounds a week easy
And...you guys all know that I can't do it every single time--But..on good calm days where all I have to do is Me --and with my 'special" lot of ammo --My rifle will do it.
On windy days I am no better than any tenderfoot LOL
But the good news is I know I have a rifle that is capable--that has been very satisfying

CZ 457 At One --24 in barrel--DIP 25 MOA rail( or 20 I forget) Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 6-24x50, Protektor rear bag and elbow bag, and an Amazon swivel Bipod
and a very special relationship with Cathy at Good shooting--Thanks Cathy for keeping me in ammo!!

And....Thanks to everyone here on RFC --I have learned a Ton from you folks!
Hopefully after Covid settles down I can try my first match
Old 10-06-2021, 04:40 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am a right hander that has been shooting rifle left handed for about 60 years. I was blinded in my right eye at the age of three. That is the only thing I can do left handed. I have owned left hand bolts, and for hunting I liked them. All I do now is mostly rimfire bench shooting, and all my bolts are right handed. My left hand never leaves it's position, I operate the bolt with my right, and feed with a single shot adapter.
Switching to left handed on a bench should be no problem at all. Off handed would be a challenge tho. Try it once.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 PM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I do close one eye, but if I am offhand shooting to the right I shoot left handed and straight or left I shoot right handed. Started doing that as a kid and just kept doing it. I do shoot righty off a bench though.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:09 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusterdave173 View Post
OK I just discovered about Dominant Eye--I am right handed and LEFT dominant eye
I have always used my right eye with left one closed--I can shoot great like it is but.................
Do I need to try and use my Left eye??? Maybe try Left handed????
Whre do i go from here? With pistol the swap is easy--can do but with my rifle I wonder what to do?????
Me too. I actually think we can train ourselves to use our non-dominant eye swithout too much problem. In general I try to keep both eyes open when I shoot. I just try not to pay too much attention to the one that isn't at the scope.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:53 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The BIG advantage to shooting benchrest with both eyes open is the eye that is not looking thru the scope should be looking at the wind flags, (you all are using wind flags right?) looking for any change in wind direction or velocity.

While I am right eye dominant and right handed, I am not strongly right eye dominant. When I was shooting benchrest this worked well for easily seeing both the target/reticle in my dominant eye and the wind flags with my slightly less dominant eye.

Now, I'm primarily doing shotgun shooting and I will close my left eye because with both eyes open, with my right eye somewhat occluded by the barrel/rib my left eye will take over. The advantage to shooting with both eyes open while shotgunning is better depth perception, which is important in determining distance and adjusting one's lead accordingly. While not ideal, many shotgun shooters do well shooting with one eye closed. It's not an issue for me.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:27 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Not much advantage to having both eyes open.

Sometimes you can see an animal go down with the left eye while the right eye is blocked as the gun recoils.
There is when shooting flying animals, they say.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:45 AM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
My wife is left eye dominant and shoots right handed. At first, I made some "blinds" out of white craft foam. They slipped over the scope ocular and allowed her to keep both eyes open which reduced eye strain. Then, we purchased a flip up that clipped onto her eyeglasses. We got the opaque lens which she preferred over the solid white lens. This was a better solution as it works in any shooting situation as opposed to me having to make individual foam blinds to fit different sized scope oculars. The flip ups can be purchased from Champions Choice and other vendors. They can also be found for about $10 on E**y.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:54 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As the cataract gradually is obscuring the vision in my right eye, the left is taking over dominance, not a problem if im using a scope , but pistol shooting, which i do with both eyes has gone to heck and and a hand basket.

The burn is , that once i get the muscle memory to do it right without thinking, i will probably get the cataract fixed , and have to start all over again.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:28 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
As the cataract gradually is obscuring the vision in my right eye, the left is taking over dominance, not a problem if im using a scope , but pistol shooting, which i do with both eyes has gone to heck and and a hand basket.

The burn is , that once i get the muscle memory to do it right without thinking, i will probably get the cataract fixed , and have to start all over again.
The doc that did both mine said its never too soon to get cataracts fixed contrary to what many say.
Eyes are my most important and most often used feature.