Cleaning CZ457 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:22 PM
PlinkerDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning CZ457

We put about 70 rounds through our CZ 457 varmint the first time out and my kid had fun.

In terms of cleaning what do people use? I don't want to damage the barrel - we are not shooting competition so I'm not sure if it needs a ton of cleaning? We are shooting lead round nose ammo.

Are there bore guides/rods that work well? For .22 LR is a .17 rod better for a CZ? Can I use a .22 bore guide w/ a .17 rod?
Old 10-03-2021, 12:25 PM
gkgeiger
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I personally use only Bore Tech products, guide, rod, patches, and chemicals. I also use JB paste occasionally.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Kahless
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I personally use only Bore Tech products, guide, rod, patches, and chemicals. I also use JB paste occasionally.
Same here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2021, 06:34 PM
tunnels
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Ballistol for most of my cleaning. I've owned my 457 Varmint for a little over a year and have no problems. About every 500 rounds or so I use M-Pro 7 for a deep cleaning. Most of my shooting is with Federal bulk pack ammo with pretty good results. With better SK ammo groups are tighter.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You will want a .20cal rod and a bore guide.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Appalachian2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1
Old 10-04-2021, 08:12 AM
Hardhammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a .22 possum hollow bore guide with a .17 rod and .22 adaptor.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Really all you need to do is spray it out with gun scrubber, clean the chamber with a bronze brush and wipe it down with a Balistol wipe. Maybe a little lube on the bolt.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
Many suggest the above but I've had no woes with a 22 rod in my 457.

Routine scrubbing of the chamber/leade with a carbon cleaner and bronze brush will keep the dreaded carbon ring at bay and cause no harm.
Mileage will vary greatly on how to clean the rest of your bore.

Popcorn is on standby.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post

Routine scrubbing of the chamber/leade with a carbon cleaner and bronze brush will keep the dreaded carbon ring at bay and cause no harm.

Popcorn is on standby.
I use a high quality .22 rod for cleaning my 457 but have been close to buying a smaller (.20 or .17). What is the concern with the .22 rods? Not saying there is no concern just want to learn. And on the bore guide what problems occur if NOT using one?

Thank you
Old 10-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Just a tight fit. Bore guide protects the ejector from getting bent.

Really, if i need to deep clean a 455 or 457 i just pull the barrel off.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:58 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a routine clean (after a practice session or a single-match day) I clean the chamber and lede area out with a few drops of Kroil on a slightly oversize, good nylon brush. Then I do a couple drops of Kroil on one .22-caliber RamRodz swab. Then I finish the chamber & lede area with a few dry swabs.

Then I do the bore with a Patchworm. Just a dry patch or two if it's just that one session with a match coming up and I intend to use the same ammo.

After a couple of bricks, I'll do the chamber as always, then use a Patchworm with a patch saturated with three or four drops of Ballistol, let it soak for a few minutes, then pull a good nylon brush through a few times with a pull-through cable from Dewey's. Then dry patches.

After three or four bricks, I'll switch from the pull-through methods to the more traditional cleaning with a good nylon brush on a .20 cal rod. Again, just small amount of Ballistol and always dry patches to finish.

Brushes are always nylon. I like Dewey or Iosso. I use the 7/8" circular cotton patches.

Bolt, bolt channel and action area just get cleaned with a bit of Hornady One Shot.

Last edited by Mark1964; 10-04-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:50 AM
bsanspree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reason for suggesting a .17 cleaning rod is because the thicker .22 rods will catch on the ejector and put a groove on the cleaning rod. At first, people thought it might have been the chamber leaving the scoring marks. I had been using a tipton .17 rod but recently switched to a .17 pro shot rod as the handle is smaller and doesn't force me to bend the rod to clear the handle. Bonus is the pro shot rods fit perfectly in a section of 3/4" pex. So I can keep the cleaning rod in the case with the rifle so I don't forget it when heading to the range. The .17 to .22 adaptor from pro shot is cheap and works to use any brushes or mops, etc. I use a .20 cal jag for patches as it allows me to use .22 cf patches or double up on .22 rf patches if I want to really get it clean.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:55 PM
FlerpinDerHerpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenBachiler View Post
I use a high quality .22 rod for cleaning my 457 but have been close to buying a smaller (.20 or .17). What is the concern with the .22 rods? Not saying there is no concern just want to learn. And on the bore guide what problems occur if NOT using one?

Thank you
I think it's apocryphal, I've heard that the manual says to use .20 (mine doesn't say anything about the size of the rod, brush, jag, etc) and that "a cz rep said" that they have narrow bores and .22 brushes could damage the rifling, which seems suspect since a bronze or copper brush shouldn't mark up steel.

I have a .20 cleaning rod, but I actually bought it to use on a .22 PCP because "common knowledge" is that air rifles have softer barrels that can be damaged with brushes...which is probably bunk too, but I didn't see any reason to buy multiple cleaning rods so it gets used on the 457 also.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Todd-67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

Popcorn is on standby.
A .22 rod in my 457 Varmint actually drags rubs on the bore. I dropped to a .20 after seeing that the first time I tried it and noticing CZ recommending the use or the .20. Like everything else I would venture to guess that certain rod manufacturers make their rods to slightly different diameters.