Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:30 AM
luna3
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scoped 44US Windage Issue

I've had this rifle for years and it is no museum piece. You might call it sporterized and that would be generous. The rifle was drilled and tapped for a scope mount that was purchased from Havlin's and I finally put a Leupold on it.

So yesterday I set things up in the yard to try out my laser boresighter and the guinea pig was the 44US. At 25 yds I could bring the elevation dead on to the laser dot, but no such luck with the windage...ran out of scope adjustment. I fussed with the rings, but it seems the problem may be the mount...the scope's reticle travels right to left and left to right with no problem.

So, the laser dot is out to the right and beyond scope adjustment. Any ideas or experience with this scope mount out there? My first thought is shimming something, maybe the rear of the mount to the left, or getting a set of windage adjustable rings, or even ditch the mount and put a peep sight on. But my eyes won't work with that. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2021, 08:34 AM
The_Darkest_One

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Verify the laser integrity first. Rotate it in the chamber and see if the dot changes position. I generally don't trust those things. Could also just pull the bolt and do a bore sighting to verify.

If the fault is determined to be with the mounting then you can simply get some windage adjustable rings.

I have the same mount on a 46B. No issues. Lined up perfectly on this gun but holes were tapped at the factory for Mossberg's original scope mount.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:02 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
You could always put a shim on the solid side of1 of the rings. About .020 should be more than adequate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2021, 11:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
It may of been drilled a little off, but then the mount would not be level. There are a few things that can be done.

Sometime just flipping around the rings can change the point of view, it that doesn't work, then shims will be needed.

Something else to look at, if the action and barrel has ever been taken apart and put back together. Its possible that it could of been put back together canted one way or another.

Most of the time you can just loosen the barrel lug and turn it one way or another and re-snug it.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Luna, which 44US model do you have? If it's a later civilian model, it will have factory drilled holes for a side mount, Havlin mount should be fine.
A number of the military trainers were also factory D&T.

Last edited by Rosscoe; 09-27-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:51 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
"Verify the laser integrity first. Rotate it in the chamber and see if the dot changes position. I generally don't trust those things."
I agree, especially if it's one that goes in the chamber and looks like a dummy round and has wires protruding from it.
I have one of those and I tested it indoors and found the laser dot went to a different point of aim every time I tried to use it All it's really useful for is a cat toy for kitty to chase the dot.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDaBear View Post
"Verify the laser integrity first. Rotate it in the chamber and see if the dot changes position. I generally don't trust those things."
I agree, especially if it's one that goes in the chamber and looks like a dummy round and has wires protruding from it.
I have one of those and I tested it indoors and found the laser dot went to a different point of aim every time I tried to use it All it's really useful for is a cat toy for kitty to chase the dot.
Yeah, and OP can boresight the old fashioned way. Pull bolt out and sight thu bore in relation to crosshairs. A six inch bull at 50 yds. works very well.

Last edited by Rosscoe; 09-27-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:03 AM
luna3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rifle is a 44US Property. It was not originally drilled for a scope. My boresighter is a Wheeler that sticks by magnet to the end of the muzzle. I did two other rifles with it and it works fine. I do suspect the drilling may be off.

I did swap the rings around around and it was no help. Weaver offers windage adjustable rings...they're not expensive. That might be the easiest approach.

Thanks everybody, I've never had this problem before, got to learn new tricks.

Last edited by luna3; 10-20-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shimming, if I understand this rilfe, will potentially line up the bases perfect. The screws are on the side? That is how I would start. it is well worth the time to learn about shims and shim stock. That is a life long valuable asset for your skill set.

I made a sketch of how Weaver adjustable rings work. Just understand. I know they work for people. Just look and understand. Also understand how newbie always over tighten rings. How many stories how slotted screws are a problem or aluminum rings can strip. And no shame from the poster. No learning. That is another issue.

One more thing, the traditional solution to fix the picture I have drawn is to lap in the rings. I assume those laping rods are still sold or one can be made from 1" bar stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weaver_windage.jpg (86.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by fourbore; 09-28-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:27 AM
luna3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The deed is done. I ordered a set of the Weaver windage adjustable rings. Supposedly these will work with the Weaver mount, although this is not explicitedly stated. Burris offers rings that use plastic inserts...pricey.

We shall see. Thanks all.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Keep us posted!
Old 09-29-2021, 05:47 PM
blkwollf

TPC Rating: 
96% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna3 View Post
The deed is done. I ordered a set of the Weaver windage adjustable rings. Supposedly these will work with the Weaver mount, although this is not explicitedly stated. Burris offers rings that use plastic inserts...pricey.

We shall see. Thanks all.
'Millett' Also Makes windage adj.rings in different heights!!!
Old 09-30-2021, 06:11 AM
luna3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an old pair of Millet rings, I believe they're called angle-locks. I was told that these were windage adjustable. But they are for a dovetail mount. I used them on my Remington 597 for years. The color though was awful. The gun is stainless and these were sort of silver or nickle...to me they have a weird greenish tinge.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i have used the millet rings for years - they are very nice rings and correct well in such cases ,
Old 10-06-2021, 08:32 AM
luna3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Weaver rings arrived yesterday. Nice packaging, the rings look good, no instructions. So to the web, and downloaded the instructions from the Weaver site. Basically a single sentence says "adjust the rings." ???

I guess that means tighten, loosen opposing base mounting screws until the ring shifts one way or the other. I can see this is going to be a bit of a pain. Glad I've got the boresighter!