Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Voluble

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Problem extracting after new barrel on cz457

Hey all, I've got a 457 pro varmint that I recently got a Lothar Walther barrel for and it's been having problems extracting the empty shell from the chamber. I don't remember it having this issue on the stock barrel. I'd say it fails to extract SK standard plus about 1/25 times, and fails to extract RWS rifle match probably 3/4 shots. The LW barrel probably has about 400 rounds through it.

Has anyone else had any similar issues? Any fixes that anyone knows about?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2021, 01:26 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Not at all unusual with a match chambered barrel.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:33 PM
VNK971
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There is a thread a little further down about headspace problems with a Lilja drop-in barrel that may be related to your issue. I originally set the headspace on a shimable Lilja barrel to .043. I had problems with failures to extract with two different Eley products. I reset it to .040 and didn't have the failure to extract problems, but did have difficulty closing the bolt on Eley Club. That day I also shot RWS Special Match and didn't have any problems. Today I shot 70 rounds of RWS Rifle Match with no problems. I know you can't easily adjust the headspace with your barrel, but it may be part of your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2021, 06:52 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Take the barrel out and check the extractor cut for burs. Pull the bolt and inspect the extractor. It may have been mangled. If not touch up the edges with a fine file , inside and out. Put barrel back in , center the extractor, twit it back and forth , you will feel / hear the extractor hitting the wall of the cut . Thigten grub screw on the extractor side first , then the other side.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If you took the bolt apart, make sure the extractor is on the correct side instead of the holder. Don't ask why I know, LOL. I decided to clean the bolt when I got my Lothar/Walther barrel, and had this issue. Reversed them and all was well, LOL.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I had that isssue

I have a LW barrel that did the same thing. It wasn't incredibly frequent, but enough that I couldn't trust it for PRS type matches. I contacted Lothar Walther and they gave me a shipping label to have the barrel returned and inspected. They just reported back that the extractor cuts were not machined correctly and they will fix it for me. I expect to have it back in another week or so.

Like you, I never had an issue with my oem barrel, so I was confident my bolt and extractor were both fine. If you have your original barrel, compare the extractor cuts on the two barrels. Mine were visually different.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:35 PM
Voluble

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies all. I definitely have some things to look in to when I get back to the rifle. I will post an update when I figure it out!
Old 09-27-2021, 08:13 PM
ZMan57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluble View Post
0Lothar Walther barrel... it's been having problems extracting the empty shell from the chamber.
Hopefully your chamber doesn't need touching up like mine does:

Pull the bullet out of a round without deforming the case, then insert the case in the chamber all the way...

Did you need to force it in - can you pull it out with just the tip of your fingernail, with no opposition?

If not, chances are the chamber chokes down towards the throat (reamer wasn't replaced on schedule, etc.), interfering with extraction.

...just my $0.02

Last edited by ZMan57; 09-28-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:52 PM
Voluble

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

So it does seem like there's an ever so slight difference in the extractor cut between the stock barrel and the LW barrel. I'm not sure how well the picture is going to come out, but it looks like there's a little bit more meat between the chamber and the extractor cut on the LW barrel.

I have an empty RWS case - the one that got stuck in my barrel last week and cause me to create this thread - and it slides easily into my stock barrel, but I have to force it into the LW. Does the same thing with a fresh case the I pulled the bullet on.

I had sent an email off to Lothar Walther 4 days ago and am waiting for a reply. I'll probably give them a few more days and then try to reach them by phone.

Last edited by Voluble; 10-02-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:06 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here’s pic of my new lilja 17 hm2 barrel (I have not shot yet) Designed to fit CZ 455/457. Don’t mind the residue. That’s from tape where I masked it to paint barrel flat black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEE6AF97-05B8-4C74-8F22-EE8C421F9C6F.jpg (294.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-03-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Vanhammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Defintely check your headspace. I had similar problem with IBI barrel on 455. I sent barrel back and had chamber reamed but problem still existed. I had barrel on gun for 3 years and never a problem but started having extraction problems 6 months ago. Changed extractors, and spring clip, reshaped extractor etc. Turned out head space had changed due to lug wearing on bolt. Shimmed bolt and gun has not missed a beat. Was not a problem with barrel or extractor.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Voluble

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I pulled the barrel, I also pulled the bullet from an RWS round. I had to force the empty case into the chamber, so I'm thinking it's a chamber issue. I've got a return label from LW and I'll get it sent off in the next few days.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Voluble

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just an update to this thread. I sent the barrel back to LW and they said the headspace was out of spec and the shop smith corrected it. RWS ammo now passes the plunk test and doesn't have to be forced in anymore. I'm hoping to shoot it sometime today or tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:16 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluble View Post
Just an update to this thread. I sent the barrel back to LW and they said the headspace was out of spec and the shop smith corrected it. RWS ammo now passes the plunk test and doesn't have to be forced in anymore. I'm hoping to shoot it sometime today or tomorrow.
So they sent your barrel back to you or a replacement barrel?

Wish they would do like Lilja and make barrel tenons little too long and supply shim kit. Or at the very least state length of tenon on barrels they make for CZ 455/457.

Last edited by squirrel1; 10-30-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I had a headspace issue too

I just got my barrel back from LW as well. They told me mine had a headspace issue also. They told me they fixed and returned my original barrel. I have not had a chance to install or shoot the barrel yet, but by appearance it looks like my problem should be fixed. They seem to have good customer service.