Went a little crazy in September (springer air rifles).). - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:41 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Went a little crazy in September (springer air rifles).).

I actually went a little crazy this year over springer air rifles. I have been gradually paring down my firearms in recent years, selling two or three and then maybe buying one, but I went a little crazy this month and bought not one, but two, springer air rifles. I have a 300S Universal (grail gun) and a used Diana 54 on the way. I must be losing my marbles.

The idea began last year. Over the winter, I began reading about springer air rifles on Airgun Nation and Gateway to Airguns and I decided to try to find a Walther LGU for outdoor target shooting. In April, I purchased one of the last remaining Walther LGUs and have been enjoying it over the summer. So far, my range trips have consisted of pellet testing at 50 yards and also shooting a few fun targets at 25 yards.

LGULeftFlash.jpg
LGU pointed downrange.jpg
20120810groupsLGU.jpg

I'm looking forward to including the 300S-U into my weekly winter indoor club shoots with some outdoor work and also trying out the recoilless howitzer Diana 54, hopefully out to 100 yards with some accuracy. The 300S-U should arrive tomorrow. I am excited to own both of these classics.

Last edited by bberg7794; 09-14-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:12 PM
1Rudedawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats, I thoroughly enjoy shooting my pair of Diana .177 34T06 Classics. They also eliminate the nuisance squirrels that wreak havoc on our songbird feeders.

Last edited by 1Rudedawg; 09-14-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:53 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As much as I love my firearms, mostly 22s but a couple classic 30-06 Springfield '03s that I shoot reduced velo cast bullet matches with, the quiet and civilized air guns are getting the most use. The ranges are shorter (though I have a 50yd max range at home) and I so like not having to wear hearing protection and have become more sensitive to not potentially annoying my neighbors.
I have some plain-jane air guns too, not worth enough to sell and useful/accurate enough to play with just for fun; like in the 'old days'. Still, there is an HW30s Deluxe in .177 giving me the Siren Song, light weight, easy cocking, Rekord trigger, HW quality and accuracy.....thus far Ive been able to resist. Im trying to avoid redundancy, again.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-15-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2021, 12:06 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I shoot my air rifles a lot more than my powder burners, mostly because of my weekly indoor air rifle club from October thru April each year. The air rifles are just as fun as far as I'm concerned. Ammo shortages and prices during the last couple years motivated me to try some outdoor air rifle shooting, which was the ultimate inspiration for the LGU.

I love that I can send 200 pellets downrange for $6.80, which is less than it costs me in gasoline to drive to the range. Try that with high power or smallbore match ammo!
Old 09-15-2021, 10:15 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You値l love the 300s, I have three of them in LH stocks. I shoot them along with my 601 indoors in the winter at my gun club.

In April I ordered a LH TX200 in .177, it arrived in August. The jury is still out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF09E6C8-5251-45BA-87D4-9A761D46FAC7.jpg (555.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 85FF2F87-0333-428C-B75B-B0F9C48CD4DB.jpg (557.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:46 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
You値l love the 300s, I have three of them in LH stocks. I shoot them along with my 601 indoors in the winter at my gun club.

In April I ordered a LH TX200 in .177, it arrived in August. The jury is still out.
Have you scoped and shot the TX200 yet?

The 300S just arrived. I brought it inside, unwrapped everything and have it in pieces on my bench. At first glance, she looks slightly better than in the photos I received. There are many handling marks on the stock and the wood itself is not a stunner, but it is solid and does not show any indication of abuse. The metal looks quite nice for its age. I'm looking forward to cleaning the barrel and shooting it, but that will be next week.

I'm a huge Feinwerkbau fan, having owned a C60 and still shooting a 2600 and an 800W.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes, I have about a tin of pellets through it. It seems to prefer H&N FTT痴.

What color is the buffer in your 300?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:12 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cream colored. I guess that means it's the old one? I can see areas on the stock where there had been stickers. I wish it had come with the stickers.

Why is the jury still out on your TX?

Last edited by bberg7794; 09-15-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:59 PM
coontz74

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberg7794 View Post
I actually went a little crazy this year over springer air rifles. I have been gradually paring down my firearms in recent years, selling two or three and then maybe buying one, but I went a little crazy this month and bought not one, but two, springer air rifles. I have a 300S Universal (grail gun) and a used Diana 54 on the way. I must be losing my marbles.

The idea began last year. Over the winter, I began reading about springer air rifles on Airgun Nation and Gateway to Airguns and I decided to try to find a Walther LGU for outdoor target shooting. In April, I purchased one of the last remaining Walther LGUs and have been enjoying it over the summer. So far, my range trips have consisted of pellet testing at 50 yards and also shooting a few fun targets at 25 yards.

Attachment 270125
Attachment 270127
Attachment 270129

I'm looking forward to including the 300S-U into my weekly winter indoor club shoots with some outdoor work and also trying out the recoilless howitzer Diana 54, hopefully out to 100 yards with some accuracy. The 300S-U should arrive tomorrow. I am excited to own both of these classics.
Nice looking LGU!!

I壇 be curious to know where you found one?

I知 just getting started with springers and your particular model is on my radar.

Nice rifle and even nicer groups!!
Old 09-15-2021, 06:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Cream colored. I guess that means it's the old one? I can see areas on the stock where there had been stickers. I wish it had come with the stickers.
Yes, the current replacement seals are usually bluish in color. I bought a 300S Junior a couple of years ago, kind of a Grail gun for me, as I coveted one as a kid. I mounted a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR, and the combination is perfect for my grandkids. We shoot red berries at 10 meters, and suspend TeddyGraham crackers from thread and shoot them a various distances. They are often able to make head shots, or even arm and leg shots without pulverizing them. Great fun.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 09-15-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:

Why is the jury still out on your TX?
I would go ahead and order a buffer and breech seal for it. There is a guy in Canada on e bay or Neal Stepp in Texas that will have replacement seals.

For the dollar I知 not sure the TX200 is worth the cost. Yet.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:13 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I felt that way about my HW97K for a good bit. It was LNIB, obviously low pellet count, and even though I was used to high power springers (had a 1988 Diana 45, a magnum of its day) it took me and the 97k a lonnggg dating period to get right. I had never 'broke in' a new high quality air rifle and read that it can take at least a tin of 500, or more.....we took a bit more.
Somewhere after the 500 I also dismounted the barreled action and reassembled with HW recommended torque on the screws c/w some Loctite. I applied a small triangle of 'frog-tape' at each screw slot to track them for backing off; been good to date.
As I said, this is my 'bench' air-rifle. Springers, ime, can be problematic off the bench.
I had to find the right bag fill, material and amount, the forestock position on the bag, rear bag or free shoulder, shoulder/cheek/trigger hand touch.
And I wanted it to be fun rather than just another constant OC procedure ad nauseum. Sooo BTDT. To that end, for easy set up and use, Im doing my variation of seated FT but with my old wooden camera tripod (rather than bi-pod) topped with a benchrest top and bag. I sit a 5gal bucket or folding tripod hunting seat and free shoulder it.
The magic is starting to work for me, keep at the TX, there has to be a sweet spot

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-16-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:29 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coontz74 View Post
Nice looking LGU!!

I壇 be curious to know where you found one?

I知 just getting started with springers and your particular model is on my radar.

Nice rifle and even nicer groups!!
Back in April, there were a couple new ones on Krale's website in Holland. They had a Master Pro in .22, but I wanted a .177. Krale had two in the varmint thumbhole model. I don't care for thumbhole stocks, but I bought the rifle anyway. I was able to pick up a Master version wood stock on Airgun Nation and I ordered the trigger guard and correct screws from Airgun Spares in England.

If you look at Krale's website today, the LGU Master Pro is listed as discontinued, but the Varmint model says one can request to be contacted when they are back in stock. I thought the LGU was discontinued, period, but maybe that is not the case. If you are interested in a new one, I would contact Krale and find out if they expect to be getting any more. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:07 AM
coontz74

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Back in April, there were a couple new ones on Krale's website in Holland. They had a Master Pro in .22, but I wanted a .177. Krale had two in the varmint thumbhole model. I don't care for thumbhole stocks, but I bought the rifle anyway. I was able to pick up a Master version wood stock on Airgun Nation and I ordered the trigger guard and correct screws from Airgun Spares in England.

If you look at Krale's website today, the LGU Master Pro is listed as discontinued, but the Varmint model says one can request to be contacted when they are back in stock. I thought the LGU was discontinued, period, but maybe that is not the case. If you are interested in a new one, I would contact Krale and find out if they expect to be getting any more. Good luck.
Thanks for the info...

I have looked at Krale, but not for a LGU as I'd heard they were no longer in production.

I'll shoot them an email today.

Thanks again for the info and heads up. Keep posting pictures and progress of that beautiful rifle!!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:36 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
More pics

LGURight.jpg

20210802groupsLGU.jpg
More pellet testing. I have a few good groups, but my average for all is just over 1 inch for 10 shots at 50 yards. A couple flyers here and there really play havoc on average group size.

20210802BestGroup.jpg
Here is a close photo of my second-best group to date. It is also on the lower left of the photo above this one and I had mistakenly written 7/8 next to it when in fact it is a 5/8 inch group. This group is only 9 shots though, as a club member came down to my bench and insisted on seeing what I was shooting, so I didn't shoot the 10th shot. He made some comment like, "You're shooting that air rifle out to 50 yards?!?!?"