Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:10 AM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Anyone using 3D printed magazines?

I haven't searched too hard lately, but 45x magazines are expensive and may be hard to find right now. Anyone using 3D printed magazines?

I have quite a few plastic magazines, but all but two of them are a bit worn at the lips. It's very subtle, but if you're looking down at the follower, the lip on the left is a bit rounded off. The wo "good" ones that I have are both perfectly square. (I'll see about taking a picture and posting it to show what I mean).

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but after fully loading a mag one time I noticed the top round sticking up at a little bit more of an angle than normal. Right before that, I was shooting a stage at the local NRL22 match, and the very last round failed to go into the chamber. I got flustered and ran out of time before I could fix it and get the shot off. This was the first time I would've cleaned a stage if I had gotten that last shot off, so I was a bit disappointed.

So, my theory is this rounded off part on the lip may have contributed to my botched loading of the last round. Any thoughts on that?

If there's a good file for a mag and it works, I don't mind using my existing followers and springs in a new shell. I have a file that I'm going to experiment with, but wondering if anyone else has any experience in this area.

TIA.

Last edited by pmpski_1; 08-30-2021 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Add photo link
Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 AM
drover
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Here you go $25 each for factory mags.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/mag-cz-452-4...poly12004.html

drover
Old 08-30-2021, 11:27 AM
FlerpinDerHerpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post
So, my theory is this rounded off part on the lip may have contributed to my botched loading of the last round. Any thoughts on that?
Yep, the round sticks up too far and when the bolt hits it, it impacts the top of the breech instead of going in the bore. I had a bad mag for a Savage Mark II that was like that, it eventually got bad enough that you could pull the bolt back and the spring would throw the entire magazine contents out the ejection port. In that case it was steel, and the feed lips were fixable, and it has worked ever since. Also, see the other responses, cz-usa sells direct off their website for half what the gunbroker/ebay scalpers ask for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Here you go $25 each for factory mags.

https://shop.cz-usa.com/mag-cz-452-4...poly12004.html

drover
Well....sure. But why buy them if I can print them with material that I already have? Especially if they'll wear out and cause problems again?

To be clear, I don't believe the wear is a big issue except in this particular situation - on the clock and need things to work perfectly in competition.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:24 PM
drover
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Well....sure. But why buy them if I can print them with material that I already have? Especially if they'll wear out and cause problems again?

To be clear, I don't believe the wear is a big issue except in this particular situation - on the clock and need things to work perfectly in competition.
My reply was addressing this part of your OP -

[QUOTE=pmpski_1;12441585]I haven't searched too hard lately, but 45x magazines are expensive and may be hard to find right now. [QUOTE]

You are welcome.

drover
Old 08-30-2021, 09:04 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
My reply was addressing this part of your OP -

Quote:
I haven't searched too hard lately, but 45x magazines are expensive and may be hard to find right now.
Quote:

You are welcome.

drover
You have a 50% discount code for me too?

Last edited by pmpski_1; 08-30-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:58 AM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see them for $25 bucks on the site (no discount needed) however…OUT OF STOCK is listed beside the order button.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:47 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is what I noticed also.

John
Old 09-01-2021, 08:57 PM
semi_auto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shipping was half as much as the price of the mag. Too bad they can't just usps it for cheap. I show it available for the 457. https://shop.cz-usa.com/mag-cz-452-4...poly12004.html

Last edited by semi_auto; 09-01-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:08 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just to re-iterate, I'm not interested in buying them from CZ or anywhere else.

Like the title of the post says, I'm interested in whether people have experience with 3D printing them. I've printed a couple now, and I'll test them this weekend. But I'm not very confident in what I have so far. I'm wondering if there are other people 3D printing these mags, and if they've found anything that works or if it's a waste of time.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:11 AM
PaPow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Just to re-iterate, I'm not interested in buying them from CZ or anywhere else.

Like the title of the post says, I'm interested in whether people have experience with 3D printing them. I've printed a couple now, and I'll test them this weekend. But I'm not very confident in what I have so far. I'm wondering if there are other people 3D printing these mags, and if they've found anything that works or if it's a waste of time.
Place i retired from, they were heavy into the 3D printing. They made a bunch 3D printed stuff for the whole plant. All kinds of weird stuff. Everything single thing they made, failed miserably. I certainly give you props for trying what your doing though. I`m not a fan of 3D printed anything. All the 3D printed stuff reminds me of those sugar wafer cookies, they break in half just looking at them. But who knows, you might stumble onto something great!
Old 09-02-2021, 08:38 AM
tomon

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Trekker Mfg selling on here...

prints Remington 541/581 mags, and they work well. May want to see if he would have a conversation with you. He is a nice guy!
Old 09-03-2021, 11:50 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPow View Post
I`m not a fan of 3D printed anything. All the 3D printed stuff reminds me of those sugar wafer cookies, they break in half just looking at them.
This has been my experience with anything that needed to hold some weight or handle a little pressure, like if I use a bit too much pressure when drilling something to a wall (I make a lot of little organizer things that mount to the wall). They're awesome for cleaning rods, headphones/ear-pro, and routing cables, but I tried to hang a sword with something I printed and it cracked when I was mounting it. The other thing that sucks is the time to make something. It took 15 hours to print something I could've made with some PVC and a 30 minute trip to the hardware store.

It could be the type of material I'm printing with though. I'm pretty new to this stuff and willing to hear about what works.

I have some mags I'll try out this weekend. The 5 rounder seems ok, but the bigger one seems pretty fragile. If I'm shooting a round every few seconds and working the bolt lightly they may be ok. Definitely not going to hold up to being on the clock in a match.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:51 PM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomon View Post
prints Remington 541/581 mags, and they work well. May want to see if he would have a conversation with you. He is a nice guy!
Sounds like a good idea, thanks!