Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 PM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
144LSB muzzle crown?

What type of muzzle crown was 'factory' cut on the 144LSB?

I was confused by the fact that my 144LSB measures 25.5" from chamber mouth to muzzle crown, when some sources say it should be 26" and others that it should be 27".

However, I am wondering if someone cut a bit off and recrowned it.

Mine has a nice recessed target crown.

Online, I can't find many pictures of the muzzle crown on these rifles- but the few I did see had the 'normal' button type crown.

So, what was the norm from the factory?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:04 PM
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"Chamber mouth"? the usual, Legal barrel length is bolt face to muzzle.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karls42 View Post
"Chamber mouth"? the usual, Legal barrel length is bolt face to muzzle.
Thanks for being #1 to respond, yet, I really am looking for info on the muzzle crown cut.

As to your correction on how to measure barrel length, I confess that I don't read legal documents to understand the practice. All I know is what 15-25 local gun shops have used to measure the barrel length before inputting the data into the DROS document for my state's registration database, so that they are not out of compliance with the law. And then we compare the measurements to what the published barrel lengths are to be sure that they match what the manufacturer lists- which they do.

Basically, bolt face to muzzle or chamber mouth to muzzle is the same thing.

After all, the bolt face touches the barrel at the chamber mouth. Where one stops, the other begins. At least, in bolt action firearms, and semi-auto rifles.

You can't measure 'bolt face' to muzzle in all firearms, as it isn't useful.

In revolvers, for example, they measure barrel length from forcing cone area to muzzle end of barrel. Chamber isn't included, nor is chamber mouth- and bolt face is completely useless. The 'bolt face' here is actually the rear of the frame, where the firing pin protrudes upon firing. That distance [from firing pin hole- which seems to be the bolt face] is distinctly different from EVERY revolver barrel length published, by the length of the cylinder + about .050" [.003-.011 at forcing cone, and headspace at rear of cylinder].

In semi-auto pistols, the measurement of the barrel is frequently taken with said barrel out of the slide. Again, the measurement is from the 'chamber mouth'. They don't include the little 'tang'/chamber hood, nor the feed ramp- but the metal around the opening of the chamber to the muzzle. And, of course, a semi-auto pistol doesn't have a bolt- but a slide.

In shotguns, the barrel length generally does not include the barrel extension that the bolt rides within, and is also generally measured with the barrel off/out of the receiver [when possible]. Thus, there is no 'bolt face' to start from- but the chamber mouth is the starting point. This is thinking of barrels like the Rem 870 or Browning Auto-5, but also applies to a SxS or O/U- where barrels are measured with the action open, and from chamber mouth to muzzle.

These are all just practical observations, from measuring a lot of different firearms over the decades.

Think about the mechanism. When the bolt face is forward, against the barrel, it is actually touching the chamber. As such, there shouldn't be more than .0005-.001" of gap between bolt face and chamber mouth- or there could be problems.

With that in mind, what is the real difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The crown is what I call a rounded crown. Pretty standard on most old Mossbergs and others!

My LSB barrel is measured correctly at 27 inches.

I've had a couple of 44US barrels that measured 25 inches instead of the correct 26 inches.
I believe once in awhile Mossberg would have a tool/chamber problem in manufacturing, so they'd just it back and redo?

Last edited by Rosscoe; 03-21-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:50 PM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
My 144 LS is 26" long and a rounded radius crown
Old 03-21-2019, 11:43 PM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsisme View Post
My 144 LS is 26" long and a rounded radius crown
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
The crown is what I call a rounded crown. Pretty standard on most old Mossbergs and others!

My LSB barrel is measured correctly at 27 inches.

I've had a couple of 44US barrels that measured 25 inches instead of the correct 26 inches.
I believe once in awhile Mossberg would have a tool/chamber problem in manufacturing, so they'd just it back and redo?
Thanks!

Cheryl at Havlin told me some stuff. I guess I trust her, as her and Vic are the go-to people, and Mossberg referred my questions to them.

One of the things she said was that Mossberg used up old inventory as they built new stuff.

She mentioned something about how the contract for the 144US ended, or was dropped, or not renewed [it stopped- some how], and that the 144US had the THICK barrel on it.

So, Mossberg used up the inventory of the old barrels when building some of the first 144LSBs, rather than have old inventory floating around.

Now, if the 144US had a barrel EXACTLY 25", that doesn't explain what I have- and some form of cut-down barrel is the only explanation.

Couple that with the recessed target crown, instead of the rounded button crown, and I am pretty darn sure mine was modified by someone, at some time.

I just don't know when/how.

Thanks to both of you!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bczrx View Post
Thanks!

Thanks!

Cheryl at Havlin told me some stuff. I guess I trust her, as her and Vic are the go-to people, and Mossberg referred my questions to them.

One of the things she said was that Mossberg used up old inventory as they built new stuff.

She mentioned something about how the contract for the 144US ended, or was dropped, or not renewed [it stopped- some how], and that the 144US had the THICK barrel on it.

So, Mossberg used up the inventory of the old barrels when building some of the first 144LSBs, rather than have old inventory floating around.

Now, if the 144US had a barrel EXACTLY 25", that doesn't explain what I have- and some form of cut-down barrel is the only explanation.

Couple that with the recessed target crown, instead of the rounded button crown, and I am pretty darn sure mine was modified by someone, at some time.

Thanks to both of you!!!

I'd think so!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 AM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If it's accurate I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Every Mossy I have is far more accurate than I. A dented or off center crown will definitely affect accuracy. Let us know how your accuracy is when you find what she likes to eat?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
If it's accurate I wouldn't worry about it.
Just need to get some range time and some different ammo to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsisme View Post
Every Mossy I have is far more accurate than I. A dented or off center crown will definitely affect accuracy. Let us know how your accuracy is when you find what she likes to eat?

Will do- once I get a chance.
May be a few months, unfortunately.

It is easier for me to buy and do repairs/gunsmithing, than it is to get 3-5 hours free during daylight to get to a range. I can do the other things at night at my workbench [the repairs].
Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bczrx View Post
Target shooters are inveterate tinkerers. Finding an intact as-shipped target rifle can be a challenge.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 PM
243winxb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mossberg 144 LS Crown

My 144LS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mossberg144LS.jpg (392.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 PM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Target shooters are inveterate tinkerers. Finding an intact as-shipped target rifle can be a challenge.
I think I'll fit in. I tinker a bit too! [or, a LOT, as the case may be.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
My 144LS
Thanks! this is what I thought the barrel would look like on a factory one.

Hmmm.

For those with a 27" barrel, how far back from the muzzle is the front sight cut?

Mine looks proportional, but I don't know if they cut the barrel at the rear of the original front sight cut [and cut a new front sight cut], or if there is 2-3" of barrel between front sight and muzzle- in which case 1 1/2" can be cut without changing anything.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The front of the front sight on my LSB sets back about one inch from muzzle at base of sight.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:31 AM
243winxb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not your model but.......

My 144 LS barrel length is 26 3/16" To the middle of the dove tail from the muzzle i get about 1.123"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mossberg144LS 26 inch.JPG (128.4 KB, 87 views)