Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:35 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tactictal Solutions scope base does not fit!

I got the short, low profile Tactical solutions scope base and the sucker is approximately 0.035 too long. It hits the rear sight and screw holes will not line up.

It is anodized aluminum, so; no I have to try and use a small end mill to carefully remove 35+/- thou and leave the corners so the un-anodized area does not show.

This is the name of the part, I found on eBay:

Tactical Solutions Aluminum Pac-Lite Standard Scope Base Rail Black Ruger MKIII

Maybe these are different than a Mk IV, hunter base? Hole spacing and receiver curvature is perfect but the length is just ever so too long.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:43 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the base fitted and it turns out the screw pitch is different. I called TS and they are sending me three screws. Great service and apparently a pac-lite is something different .... The tech guy knew right away what I had and what I needed.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is one reason why I don't buy from eBay.

Dinosaur? Probably.

Either way, glad TacSol is sorting it out with you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have to shorten the rail a little and you expose bare aluminum, use aluminum black to cover it up. It should work to hide the bare metal.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB1 View Post
If you have to shorten the rail a little and you expose bare aluminum, use aluminum black to cover it up. It should work to hide the bare metal.
Thanks I do have some of that on hand. I cut it so close and with an angle ot the corners you cannot (or hardly) see the aluminum. Noes not touch the sight either. But, I want to prevent corrosion, so; will do.

I think the hole spacing is right on and the three holes (Ruger holes) are located a bit rear of where they were on the sample TS worked from. I am guessing. It seems all the aftermarket vendors have to suffer this misery. The better and closer fit they strive for the more problems. The VQ trigger kit just had to be expanded with two more parts.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Apparently that rail was made for the Tac-Sol aftermarket receiver/barrels. They are tapped #6-40, not #6-48 as Ruger uses for all of the factory d&t Mk-series guns so that's why the screws didn't fit.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am satisfied with this purchase. I expect some others might not be willing to deal with the length problem or have the patience to wait on the screws. More facts up front would simple have resulted in no need for posting on my part. I would still buy this mount if it is available for any future Mk IV. Ok, one difference, next time, I would call TS and see if they had one with the right screws and length. I expect not.

Last edited by fourbore; 07-18-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
Apparently that rail was made for the Tac-Sol aftermarket receiver/barrels. They are tapped #6-40, not #6-48 as Ruger uses for all of the factory d&t Mk-series guns so that's why the screws didn't fit.
I believe this is correct. And correct on the screw pitch.

I did a search when I purchased this one and could not find another anywhere. It maybe a 'dinosaur', as SailDesign suggested. If I do see anther, I may grab it up as a spare.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
<snippage>

It maybe a 'dinosaur', as SailDesign suggested.

<small snip>

Was actually suggesting that I might be a dinosaur, for not using eBay.

But I know what you mean.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used the Ruger low profil base that was provided with the MkIII comp on that pistol. I trim that flush with the receiver. That was silver and I left the cut edge in the white. That was more complicated because I also had to cut an additional cross slot. I then found the Ruger slots in this base were too shallow for some (or many) weaver style rings. The alternative big ruger base is ugly.

This TS base is just what I want. Except the obvious minor mod, its perfect. It is low and flush with the receiver. The slots are cut deep enough and the spacing is fully utilized with slots, like a pitcanary(?) rail, without the ugly.

I maybe a dinosaur myself. I had a hard time to navigate the TS website. I dont know what else they have to offer. Initial impression is a good company.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I used the Ruger low profil base that was provided with the MkIII comp on that pistol. I trim that flush with the receiver. That was silver and I left the cut edge in the white. That was more complicated because I also had to cut an additional cross slot. I then found the Ruger slots in this base were too shallow for some (or many) weaver style rings. The alternative big ruger base is ugly.

This TS base is just what I want. Except the obvious minor mod, its perfect. It is low and flush with the receiver. The slots are cut deep enough and the spacing is fully utilized with slots, like a pitcanary(?) rail, without the ugly.

I maybe a dinosaur myself. I had a hard time to navigate the TS website. I dont know what else they have to offer. Initial impression is a good company.
I had the Ruger one on my old Mk III 22/45, and cut it down (black Sharpie on the cut to match perfectly!), but sold it with the gun. The Mk IV has a TandemKross shorty base that fit perfectly. This one,

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-P...ACK_p_128.html

Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I had the Ruger one on my old Mk III 22/45, and cut it down (black Sharpie on the cut to match perfectly!), but sold it with the gun. The Mk IV has a TandemKross shorty base that fit perfectly. This one,

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-P...ACK_p_128.html
Ah, thank you - bookmarked. If I get another MkIII or IV I will use that base.

Quote:
Tac-Sol provides #6-40 threads for their base to be used on their aluminum, steel sleeved, uppers. The #6-40, courser thread, is less likely to "strip out" in aluminum when tightened down, as the finer #6-48 thread often will.
Was waiting to see if that info got posted, but......................
I was curious. That explains the why of that.

No need to be bashful. Speak right up Just kidding.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't worry, it won't happen again, I forgot about you being on THE LIST!
THere's a LIST?!? Why aren't I on it?

Or am I.....?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, it is not Santa's "who's been good" list. I honestly dont remember why.

You better watch your step, though ...