The "I still want to argue about whether I should participate in the recall" thread - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 AM
polarys425
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ruger View Post
I paid near 600 for my new Ruger Competition at a gun show and a week later I get the recall notice. That was nearly 2 months ago. Still waiting for a box and prepaid shipping label. I traded a mint Dan Wesson .357 revolver plus cash for the Ruger and have regretted it ever since. The 100 rounds I got to fire did little to improve my opinion of Ruger, whose quality control and customer service are slipping badly. Bill Ruger would not have stood for it.
The 100 rounds you got to fire? What's stopping you from shooting it now? Moan and complain... It's a recall for crying out loud. You guy's act like Ruger does this all the time.

Shoot it and enjoy it till your box shows up. Then shoot something else for a week till you get it back.

Try waiting 11 months for a simple tax stamp on a suppressor that you've already paid for but can't take home. A week is nothing.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 AM
druryj
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark IV Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSC View Post
I paid to have a Volquartsen kit installed on my Mark IV. Now I have to pay to have it removed so I can return the pistol for the recall repairs. And then I get to pay to have the upgrade installed again. And Ruger offers me a magazine??

Be happy that they are doing both the recall and giving you a free mag. You know the old saying: "Stuff happens". Nobody particularly likes that the MK IV Pistols are being recalled but it's just one of those things. Don't fret over it, Ruger is doing the right thing. Oh, and welcome to Rimfire Central, There is a ton of great info to be had here and some great people who can and will help you with pretty much anything to do with these little guns that go "pew pew" instead of "BOOM BOOM!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by druryj; 07-10-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 AM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by druryj View Post
Be happy that they are doing both the recall and giving you a free mag. You know the old saying: "Stuff happens". Nobody particularly likes that the MK IV Pistols are being recalled but it's just one of those things. Don't fret over it, Ruger is doing the right thing. Oh, and welcome to Rimfire Central, There is a ton of great info to be had here and some great people who can and will help you with pretty much anything to do with these little guns that go "pew pew" instead of "BOOM BOOM!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I 100% agree. I think Ruger is doing everything they can to make this as organized and painless as possible while doing the right thing.

Think about it... Probably tens of thousands of these guns. Having to track them all when they come in, rework properly, ship out without losing them or mixing them up. Trying to modulate the amount coming in due to the number of techs available. Compensating us without trashing their finances. Producing videos, testing, legal writeups, etc...

Also going forward, you can be certain that they won't f'up a safety mechanism again.

It's a HUGE effort and I commend them for what they're doing. But their guns still have triggers...

Last edited by Sophia; 07-10-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: one of these days I'll stop editing out the profanity and just start deleting the entire post. Consider that the only warning
Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dtp, agreed.

And one more point, this is something that Ruger will own for decades. There is no time limit. I never got a notice, I expect guns will continue to trickle in for decades. I know a quite a few are not getting sent back anytime soon.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:55 PM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
What choices do they have? Wouldn't it have been much better to do some "prototype" testing before any production Mark IV pistols were cut loose? No doubt, this whole thing could have been handled much, much better.
Certainly.... They had gaps in their test plan obviously where they didn't have 'Put safety in middle position, pull trigger, move safety to fire' or whatever. I didn't read about many people here talking about that after having fired hundreds of rounds.

Regarding how they could have handled it otherwise. Ask Remington.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:59 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So they have triggers--

Yes and for another $100/each I bet that could be a lot better but Ruger wants/has to be 'competative'.
If you want a great trigger get a Smith 41(several hundred more), but I understand they are not as good as in past.

Last edited by Sophia; 07-10-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:30 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
Certainly.... They had gaps in their test plan obviously where they didn't have 'Put safety in middle position, pull trigger, move safety to fire' or whatever. I didn't read about many people here talking about that after having fired hundreds of rounds.

Regarding how they could have handled it otherwise. Ask Remington.
I think it is safe bet that Ruger tested this exact scenario and it was fine just like 90% (my number) of the Mk IV out there. Then over time as manufacturing drifted this discharge coming off the middle was reported and confirmed. Naturally, I am speculating o this, but; seems reasonable IMHO.

Now the lack of detent, that must have been observed right from the get go.

Then you have the takedown/recoil pin walking out. Probably no way to predict that either. Is that going to get corrected? Because I got one of that last guns sold pre-recal and the pins moves out.

Then we saw another QC issue on the base of the recoil pin. I may need a note book soon....

I guess there is plenty to talk about on the 1/2 full glass or the 1/2 empty glass. I am taking responsibility for all the work on mine. I tighteneded up the detent a little with a DIY steel plunger and have a new 'walking' pin and spring ready to install. On balance, I am a satisfied customer. I could be a lot more satisfied ,that is a fact too.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:46 AM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I think it is safe bet that Ruger tested this exact scenario and it was fine just like 90% (my number) of the Mk IV out there. Then over time as manufacturing drifted this discharge coming off the middle was reported and confirmed. Naturally, I am speculating o this, but; seems reasonable IMHO.

Now the lack of detent, that must have been observed right from the get go.

Then you have the takedown/recoil pin walking out. Probably no way to predict that either. Is that going to get corrected? Because I got one of that last guns sold pre-recal and the pins moves out.

Then we saw another QC issue on the base of the recoil pin. I may need a note book soon....

I guess there is plenty to talk about on the 1/2 full glass or the 1/2 empty glass. I am taking responsibility for all the work on mine. I tighteneded up the detent a little with a DIY steel plunger and have a new 'walking' pin and spring ready to install. On balance, I am a satisfied customer. I could be a lot more satisfied ,that is a fact too.
Good point, switching to mass production may have introduced variances they didn't encounter in testing. I'm also curious now if they got complaints or input from owners. Or if in their own testing they caught it after some time.

Either way, I'm giving Ruger a thumbs up. Assuming I get all my frames back.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 AM
MuttX7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think this is the thread where people were talking about marking their grips because they were worried they wouldn't get theirs back. I received the same grip back that I sent in. It still had the serialized sticker I attached and believe me, no one could have duplicated my lame attempt to stick the sticker on it.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I sent mine off yesterday.

Ruger made it easy as they could. I think they're handling this very well.

I'll have to endure shooting my Mk I Target, or my Woodsman MT whilst it is gone.

Woe is Me.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM
MarkB1
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post

I'll have to endure shooting my Mk I Target, or my Woodsman MT whilst it is gone.

Woe is Me.

It's a shame you have to suffer so.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:

Woe is Me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB1 View Post
The horror.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
The horror.
I know. Right?

To top off my bad luck, I can't find any Aguila Mini Shells for my new Remington TAC-14, and I'm not sure my new SW 2.0 will arrive in time to go to the range on Sunday.

As Sophie says, I'm just riddled with First World Problems.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Woe is Me.
So I sent mine off on the 13th, and it came home today. Packaged in the exact same box I sent it away in. With a brand new magazine in the well, and a nice letter from the CEO.

Trigger feels the same to me. There's a nice 'S' now when it's in the safe position.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 PM
polarys425

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I know. Right?

To top off my bad luck, I can't find any Aguila Mini Shells for my new Remington TAC-14, and I'm not sure my new SW 2.0 will arrive in time to go to the range on Sunday.

As Sophie says, I'm just riddled with First World Problems.
Off topic.. but...

I'd too would like to know why the mini shells are so hard to find. Seems to me, Aguila is missing the mark on sales opportunity. I can fit 25 I think into my KSG.

I have a stash, but don't shoot many as I can't easily replace them.