TPC Rating: 
96% (19)
Clark does make excellent barrels
Old 10-22-2021, 07:57 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I once read that the actual design of the Model 41 has its roots in WW2 time frame. It was not release for sale, I believe, until the 1960's when Bullseye competion was at a peak in popularity. As such the gun has the look of the 1940's, at least to me.

The Clark barrel look is much more modern and updates the look to modern days. I think the "Clark Look" is more pleasing to me. Once I installed the Clark Optics 5 inch barrel and my UltraDot red dot I see no reason to ever go back to the original 7 inch iron sights barrel.

Anyway, that's my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
Old 10-22-2021, 09:21 AM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
....First off, with my 76 year old eyes and my flinching issues, I'm not a very good shooter....
Itís refreshing to hear you say that. Thatís exactly how I describe myself....but Iím not yet forty. Iíve always flinched, and I swear I can see others do it as well, but they never admit to it.

Also, I feel exactly the same way about my IZH-35M. I got into them simply because they were cheap, but now I run them because I like them, and shoot better with them than I do anything else.

Those model 41 are gorgeous though. Theyíre a bucket list gun for me. Someday.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:40 AM
Ceapea
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Itís refreshing to hear you say that. Thatís exactly how I describe myself....but Iím not yet forty. Iíve always flinched, and I swear I can see others do it as well, but they never admit to it.
I admit it! It's horrible!
Around my club, I am considered somewhat of a good (Great?) shooter. I never looked at it that way myself, though. But I do win my share of the local competitions. I have a terrible flinch!! I joke around (not really a joke...) about sighting in my guns for my flinch. I never know that I flinch until I get a dud round or a round misfed. Then boy, watch out...no ant or other insect in my immediate local, is safe. As much as I try to eradicate that nasty habit, it won't go away. But, I can hit what I aim for regardless...
Old 10-22-2021, 04:53 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh yes, a dud round really is an eye opener for we shooters afflicted with the condition.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:12 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
I once read that the actual design of the Model 41 has its roots in WW2 time frame. It was not release for sale, I believe, until the 1960's when Bullseye competion was at a peak in popularity. As such the gun has the look of the 1940's, at least to me.
LDBennett
Yes, the 41's DNA is directly traceable to the Walther Olympia II. Here's an interesting snapshot on that pistol: https://revivaler.com/walther-olympia-pistol/
Old 10-22-2021, 09:48 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
I admit it! It's horrible!
Around my club, I am considered somewhat of a good (Great?) shooter. I never looked at it that way myself, though. But I do win my share of the local competitions. I have a terrible flinch!! I joke around (not really a joke...) about sighting in my guns for my flinch. I never know that I flinch until I get a dud round or a round misfed. Then boy, watch out...no ant or other insect in my immediate local, is safe. As much as I try to eradicate that nasty habit, it won't go away. But, I can hit what I aim for regardless...
I attended a bullseye workshop held by Brian Zins 12 time National pistol champ. We talked about ďball and dummyĒ training, ie. having someone load a dummy round somewhere in the magazine. He said itís not useful, everybody flinches.
He did dwell on anticipating the shot, his solution was just donít do it..
Develop a ďshot processĒ for consistency and efficiency, focus on the right sight picture and know your trigger. He didnít think much of the ďsurprise breakĒ. He did advise breaking the shot much sooner than what you often see in bullseye shooters. He suggested waving your arm around for 10 seconds is suboptimal.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

The Clark barrel look is much more modern and updates the look to modern days. I think the "Clark Look" is more pleasing to me. Once I installed the Clark Optics 5 inch barrel and my UltraDot red dot I see no reason to ever go back to the original 7 inch iron sights barrel.

Anyway, that's my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
LD---I have a Model 41 that was made in the 1950s.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:50 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
LD---I have a Model 41 that was made in the 1950s.
Yes, Wikipedia says the first introduction of less than 1000 guns was 1957. By the end of 1958 they had produce just under 10,000. The 22 Short version was introduced in 1960. The two prototypes were made in 1947 and spent 10 years in "Testing".

But my point was that the design looks like the 1940's or even earlier. And with the change to the Clark barrel, the look is much more modern and more pleasing to me. Plus, I can mount a red dot and it shoots every bit as good as a stock 7 inch barrel. Long barrels are for increased sighting accuracy (longer sight radius). With the red dot the long barrel means only a few more FPS out of the ammo. But the better look is my opinion and yours may vary?

LDBennett
Old 10-23-2021, 12:35 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
wprout - I totally agree with your comments and I don't get my 41's out like I should.

Similar to your list:

1. A S&W Victor 22 - Fully upgraded with Tandem Kross accessories. Fun to shoot.
2. Ruger Mark III's Targets (1 blued - 1 SS) both with Volquartzen Pistol Competition Kits. - Yes, I still need a hard rubber mallet to disassemble for cleaning. The blued one shoots the best.
3. Model 41's - factory stock but I did move the trigger adjustment lever to the lightest postion. Still my overall favorite.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:34 AM
Topos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltlog View Post
Yes, the 41's DNA is directly traceable to the Walther Olympia II. Here's an interesting snapshot on that pistol: https://revivaler.com/walther-olympia-pistol/
Thank you Sir for this delightful information on the Walther
that I had never known before.

The knowledge base, generosity, and camaraderie is what
makes this small select forum so special.

Feel privileged to be allowed to enter this endearing
S&W 41 "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon*".
My favorite is "Time Travelers Strictly Cash"

Adding Ray Brandes Bully Barrel with Red Dot is visual eye-candy
as well as functional.

In past posts here images of 'pimped out' 41 with cans still satisfying
to revisit.

Best.

* << https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callah...osstime_Saloon >>