Benchrest with Kidd 10/22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:30 PM
JackM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Benchrest with Kidd 10/22

Have attached bipods, such as Atlas or Harris, coupled with rear sandbags, taken over in benchrest shooting, or are the more traditional, and separate, tripods and sandbags still preferred? I'm getting great results with my Kidd 10/22 but the tripod I've been using, plus assorted sandbags, makes for a lot of extra stuff to carry to the range.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:49 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've always wondered about that, using a KIDD or top brand semi-auto on a benchrest. I've been taught that a semi-auto will not be as accurate as a bolt action from the bench. Case in point, how many semi's do you see at the national level? But if you get great results, go for it. Give the bolt's a run for the money.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:30 PM
JackM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Using R-50 ammunition, and if the wind is minimal, I get sub 1/4" five-shot groups regularly, but often the first shot will a flyer, opening the group to 1/2" or so. I've started loading six in the magazine, the sixth one being a range round like CCI SV, Aguilla SE, etc. That first one goes into a sighter target and "sets up" the first match-grade round. I'm just wondering if I should switch to a attached bipod and rear bag or stick with the tripod and rear bag. I've only recently gotten back into BR shooting, though I've had the Kidd rifle since 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM
1Rudedawg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would think your tripod and a rear bag would be enough.
Our club recently had their once a month 5 card rimfire match and when the semi auto card was placed out came the Kidd's, Clark's you name it. The shooters were using everything from homemade tripods, Caldwell Rock BR's to over the top custom rests all with rear bags but no one used a bipod. I was truly amazed at the phenomenal groups @ 50 yrds. from a semi auto.

Last edited by 1Rudedawg; 10-18-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:23 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I have ran that gamut... the Caldwell Stinger is my favorite.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Stin...4592081&sr=8-5
Old 10-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JackM

Tripod and One Piece rests (which run from $150 to $2000), in conjunction with correctly shaped/designed stocks are still at the pinnacle of performance.

However........ your rifle does not have the correctly shaped Stock to take full advantage of those rests.

So as you have already discovered, a Bi-Pod and rear bag set up can produce outstanding results.

My range puts on a monthly USBR target match each month shooting a pair of these targets back to back at 50yds.
The ten ring is .10 of an inch and to score an X you must completely remove the 10 ring.
Shooting a 250 is extremely difficult, and a a perfect 250-25x is essentially impossible.

Our rules require the use of a Bi-Pod and rear bag.

Here are some recently shot targets including a couple of mine shooting my 2014 version of the KIDD Supergrade.
Most of my targets fall into the mid 230's.

Both of these were shot using a SEB Joy-Pod, and what you see pictured below is the set up I used.

KIDD 2014 Supergrade.

This target was shot with a Vudoo rifle and a Phoenix Bi-Pod.
Shot 2 days ago during a practice session by a fellow shooter.

This target was shot with an Anschutz and a SEB Joy-Pod.
Shot 2 days ago at the same practice session by a fellow shooter.

To further make my point on Bi-Pods, our 2nd place Championship shooter last year used a a $80.00 Harris Bipod.

The obvious conclusion is that Bi-Pods, along with right rear bag, and when set up properly, can come produce results very very close to the best Tripod and One Piece rests.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-28-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:40 PM
JackM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the info, guys, much appreciated. Smoothtrigger--impressive shooting.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:45 PM
JackM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One other thing, re the Ruger pictured above, who made the stock?
Old 10-20-2021, 01:27 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackM View Post
One other thing, re the Ruger pictured above, who made the stock?
Looks like a McMillan stock.. I think ... spendy but well worth it. Bell and Carlson makes one very similar.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:37 PM
JackM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Looks like a McMillan stock.. I think ... spendy but well worth it. Bell and Carlson makes one very similar.
At present mine is set up in a Bell and Carlson Anschutz-style thumbhole stock. I don't think it has the aluminum bedding block that the pricier ones have. Right now I'm looking at a B&C model with the bedding block at roughly $450, and the Victor Titan for a whole lot less, plus an Atlas bipod.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:49 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The KIDD Supergrade in 2013 came only one way as a complete rifle. The only Ruger made part in that rifle is the magazine.
It was sorta sold as Tony Kidds ultimate 10/22.
The 20 inch match barrel (not match chambered, but as tight as they can make it in a semi auto) is screwed into the receiver.
Not held in by screws.

The stock is custom McMillan that has been machined for the rear tang, and also machined very precisely for their receiver to the point that you could consider it bedded. I don't because it's not fully supported.
It has also has pair of steel pillars.
The form is a copy of the famous Anschutz Sillhoutte stock.
The Anschutz Silhouette rifle along with its stock disappeared when silhouette shooting began to fade some time ago.

As far as I know it's not available from McMillan.

Others more knowledgeable than myself may chime in.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-22-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:19 PM
JackM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As far as I know it's not available from McMillan.

Yes, I think the closest I could get to that would be the more expensive B&C model. But the B&C I have shoots pretty well. Like yours, the only thing Ruger on my rifle is the magazine. Mine doesn't have the extension at the rear of the receiver, though.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:12 PM
Slocat
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Here is my 10/22 that I modified into BR configuration, just for fun as it gave me one more gun to shoot in our monthly .22 Bench Rest match. My club shoots the IBS target at 50 yds. This target is not as hard as the USBR target, the IBS has a 10 ring that is 0.5" in diameter.

Since my 10/22 has an aftermarket barrel, our local rules make me shoot in the Unlimited class, against guys with one-piece rests and top $$ equipment. But my 10/22 will out-shoot some of them anyway, and does better than over half of the bolt guns at the match.
My 10/22 has a Larry Jennings stock (purchased here on this forum), Midway barrel with a Harrell tuner, Kidd trigger and bolt. The only Ruger parts are the receiver and magazine. Last spring, I bought a Kidd, Lothar Walther rifled 20" barrel, but my old Midway barrel shot much better, so I sold the used Kidd barrel.
Here are my targets at our last outdoor match (in Colorado):

I wonder what some of those bolt gun owners think when a 10/22 out-scores them.

Last edited by Slocat; 10-23-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:21 PM
JackM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice rifle. Nice targets.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:08 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slocat View Post
I wonder what some of those bolt gun owners think when a 10/22 out-scores them.
I can't zoom in on your pictures and I'm looking at them on my phone but some of those shots on the 249 and 250 target look like they are completely outside of the 10 ring?

Don't take it the wrong way, it's still great shooting. I'm just trying to understand how they're scored.

Last edited by Nick7274; 10-25-2021 at 04:11 PM.