Precision rimfire challenge - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:34 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Precision rimfire challenge

Shot this challenge from another forum (24hourcampfire) and learned a lot from it. Shooting one shot at each red dot really brings out a lot of weaknesses and is a lot more difficult than one would think...

How about downloading these targets , shoot them when you get a chance, and post pics of your results? 50 yards as usual...
There are lot of good shooters on this site, let's see how you do. Write on each target Rifle, ammo, and whatever info you wish to convey... (too much coffee, wife mad at you, etc... )

http://www.mytargets.com/target24%20...0on%20grid.pdf
Old 10-19-2021, 10:08 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
The red dots are a half inch. Same as the 100 ring of the ARA Unlimited target. If you use worst edge scoring you can use them to practice for ARA

Old 10-20-2021, 11:19 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Not a whole lot of interest there, Bob.
Wonder why? Is it because it ain't easy actually hitting what ya' aim at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2021, 12:47 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Funny there isn't more interest in this... I found it very challenging and learned a lot from this challenge.. it definitely isn't as easy as it looks.
What seemed like pretty good groups before seem not quite as good when you shoot them one at a time and see the actual dispersion occuring in those "one hole" groups . Also told me a lot about the ammo I was shooting....

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 01:10 PM
TBTGOG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Bob,
I like the idea.
I’m going to the range either tomorrow or Friday. I’ll post pics after. I like this kind of shooting.
My friends don’t care to score targets much either. I don’t get it, it’s just a game.
It’s a great way to practice and you learn a lot about your technique as well as the equipment you’re using. Most of all, it’s makes you a better shooter.
Much more fun than just shooting groups.

I’ll be using a stock CZ452 Varmint with a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40 EFR Target Dot.
Been wanting to try out some RWS Rifle Match that I recently purchased.

Last edited by TBTGOG; 10-20-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:03 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looking forward to seeing your targets... after participating in this challenge I found that one of my favorite mid priced ammo isn't nearly as good as I had hoped- SK Standard plus. The RWS was excellent, however....

I'll try to post a couple targets a bit later....

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 02:47 PM
LTTG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saved this target to a PDF file, and will print some out (on 8.5 x 11" paper) before my next range trip, which I hope will be in the next couple of weeks. It seems like it would be really fun, along with some targets from the Fun Match subforum.

It will show me what my plain 'ol plain'ol gear can do - Marlin/Glenfield 75 (3-9X35 no-name scope), and various inexpensive HV and SV ammos. I'll report back.

I too am surprised that more folks aren't expressing an interest. Thanks Bob, for posting it!
Old 10-20-2021, 07:38 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Funny there isn't more interest in this...
Might be because you started the thread in the "ammo" section, and it may have gotten more interest in the "Shooting Related" section? Just a thought.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:47 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll print a few and give it a try next time I'm at the range. I generally shoot prone with a bipod and rear bag, so.. rimfire F-class in my case. Can't hit the broad side of a barn from a bench.

20 shots in a half inch group at 50 yards doesn't sound hard, until you try it. Shifting your point of aim between shots is tricky business, as Jaia alluded to.

Just so we're on the same page, what are the criteria for scoring the target?

Do we score best or worst edge?

Last edited by chilly807; 10-20-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I personally haven't been to a gun range in over a year because of all the hogs who are hoarding ammo. Not much point in engaging in a thread when I can't get ammo. This just might be another reason for "low" interest.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No score except for your own personal info. Just post a pic of your results when you're done. If you like, post any impressions of the process- especially if you shoot it with more than one rifle and more than one brand of ammo.... this is more of a discussion or learning experience than a contest....

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 08:23 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Might be because you started the thread in the "ammo" section, and it may have gotten more interest in the "Shooting Related" section? Just a thought.
You might be right... I'll cross post it and see what happens...

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 09:25 PM
Marzoom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll be giving it a try but first I need to sight in a new rifle along with a few adjustments. I also need to get ink for my printer as my dots are yellow now.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:52 PM
cwhuebner
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The red dot targets are actually my normal practice targets. I figure if I can keep them in the dots I'll do OK on the ARA Factory Match Targets. The dots make you work.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:30 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Funny there isn't more interest in this...

Bob
It could be that a lot of people are already shooting this style except they're shooting at actual BR targets (USBR, ARA, ARA Factory, PSL, IR505/50, RBA, etc). The target you posted is the same idea except a little more forgiving. I think it's probably great for shooting sporter/factory class rifles

I like to shoot USBR targets for score and recently I printed a bunch of the ARA practice targets on card stock. Otherwise, I try some of the ones you posted