My Open Top 11/22 from Fletcher Rifle Works just arrived! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2021, 07:41 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Open Top 11/22 from Fletcher Rifle Works just arrived!



Log in to see fewer ads
I've been watching the development of this receiver via Instagram for a long time. Can't believe they are available stateside already. Going to have to cannibalize another gun to build this up.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Currahee506's Avatar
Currahee506
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2016
Location: 
Hills of E. TN
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Canít wait to see the build. Stupid question, what is the benefit? Maybe Iím not thinking outside the box far enough.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-18-2021, 07:52 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currahee506 View Post
Canít wait to see the build. Stupid question, what is the benefit? Maybe Iím not thinking outside the box far enough.
Mainly maintenance. You can pop the bolt out through the top of the receiver, clean inside, and run your cleaning rod from the hole in the back without the need for disassembly, or even tools. Tolerances should be better than OEM as well.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 PM
Currahee506's Avatar
Currahee506
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2016
Location: 
Hills of E. TN
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
Mainly maintenance. You can pop the bolt out through the top of the receiver, clean inside, and run your cleaning rod from the hole in the back without the need for disassembly, or even tools. Tolerances should be better than OEM as well.
Thanks, learn something new every day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2021, 08:30 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currahee506 View Post
Thanks, learn something new every day.
I was going to order new parts, but just gutted a rifle and grabbed a spare barrel.



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2021, 01:00 AM
crackedcornish's Avatar
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Yuma
Posts: 
5,601
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't know if I would want to be the one behind the trigger on a Kaboom with that receiver
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2021, 03:22 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Haven't had a rimfire one in nearly 40 years of shooting. And I survived my .308 blowing up last year. So it's a non-issue for me. Although it shouldn't be a concern for this receiver either.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2021, 04:29 PM
crackedcornish's Avatar
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Yuma
Posts: 
5,601
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
Haven't had a rimfire one in nearly 40 years of shooting. And I survived my .308 blowing up last year. So it's a non-issue for me. Although it shouldn't be a concern for this receiver either.
the fact that you "survived" just means you should thank your lucky stars, and the maker of the firearm for it's safe design.. the fact that you think because you got away with it once without a serious injury makes it "a non-issue"... means you're not thinking it through very well, because if you do a little research you can find many kinds of injuries, including fatal ones, caused by all kinds of firearms malfunctions

I'm not saying this open top receiver is a deadly accident waiting to happen, I am saying it doesn't look as safe as a conventional receiver to me, and I can see where it's design could cause issues for a shooter, if something were to go wrong...I know I'd never want to use one in a 17mach2 build

when I was younger I used to work at a place that rented firearms for use at their indoor range, and saw many OOB discharges on many different types of firearms over the years, and I've had it happen to me twice, once in a Marlin 989M2 and once in a Glenfeild 60..so I know it can happen to anyone at anytime, especially with semi-auto rimfires
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2021, 04:35 PM
gomi_otaku's Avatar
gomi_otaku

Join Date: 
Mar 2020
Location: 
Bellingham, WA
Posts: 
135
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
the fact that you "survived" just means you should thank your lucky stars, and the maker of the firearm for it's safe design.. the fact that you think because you got away with it once without a serious injury makes it "a non-issue"... means you're not thinking it through very well
The faulty o-rings on the space shuttle that caused it to blow up...it has been acknowledged that they were faulty from day one, every launch, and they ran with the risks. Just because you won at Russian Roulette today doesn't mean you will win every time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2021, 06:05 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How do you guys even shoot your rimfire, with the paralyzing knowledge that you are only moments away from a catastrophic failure?

In all seriousness, it is not a concern. The receiver itself is not going to increase the likelihood of an out of battery discharge. And it's a .22 LR, which results in a split case, and maybe some flying fragments, the same as it would on a 10/22 receiver. It's not going to shear two pins and blow the cover off.

And yes, my Ruger American Predator in .308 didn't like the sketchy steel-cased mystery ammo someone gave me. Bipod flew off, magazine ejected, and bolt face was destroyed. Ruger honed the chamber, dropped in a new bolt, and shipped it back. I also owned and regularly shot my matched set of .460 Magnum and .500 Magnum revolvers, both of which have some documented drama. But I also recognize that a properly maintained firearm with quality ammo (not cheap steel case) minimizes the risk to nearly incalculable levels. If you're truly concerned about an OOB discharge, then maybe you shouldn't drive a car either.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-19-2021, 06:44 PM
ingwe

Join Date: 
Jul 2021
Posts: 
74
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
How do you guys even shoot your rimfire, with the paralyzing knowledge that you are only moments away from a catastrophic failure?

In all seriousness, it is not a concern. The receiver itself is not going to increase the likelihood of an out of battery discharge. And it's a .22 LR, which results in a split case, and maybe some flying fragments, the same as it would on a 10/22 receiver. It's not going to shear two pins and blow the cover off.

And yes, my Ruger American Predator in .308 didn't like the sketchy steel-cased mystery ammo someone gave me. Bipod flew off, magazine ejected, and bolt face was destroyed. Ruger honed the chamber, dropped in a new bolt, and shipped it back. I also owned and regularly shot my matched set of .460 Magnum and .500 Magnum revolvers, both of which have some documented drama. But I also recognize that a properly maintained firearm with quality ammo (not cheap steel case) minimizes the risk to nearly incalculable levels. If you're truly concerned about an OOB discharge, then maybe you shouldn't drive a car either.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2021, 06:56 PM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
South Central WI, USA
Posts: 
5,115
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Think maybe I'll just take up a safe sport like....ummm...golf
FORE!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2021, 07:02 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Think maybe I'll just take up a safe sport like....ummm...golf
FORE!
Bowling. Less chance of getting hit by a cart. There's a whole video about that, and it's unpleasant.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 PM
gcrank1's Avatar
gcrank1

Join Date: 
Apr 2018
Location: 
South Central WI, USA
Posts: 
5,115
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think I could get to like golf if we could use mortars for the long shots
Might also help to keep the attack carts away?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-19-2021, 07:37 PM
IndustryOutsider

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Location: 
Utah
Posts: 
508
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I think I could get to like golf if we could use mortars for the long shots
Might also help to keep the attack carts away?
My only real golf experience is driving golf balls with a .22, and shooting tees with a .22 rifle. And trolling Callaway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x