Front sight insert preferences - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:54 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Im going to take a wide guess on 'size'.....
I think I like about 1/3 of the aperture to be 'white' surrounding the 2/3 of the 'bull'.
When I would try squeezing it down to 1/4 white and 3/4 bull the white was pretty skinny/ harder to define.
All that to say that my eye likes plenty of white.
ymmv
Old 10-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The video has a good overview of ring thickness and size…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Id8yFl3Nk
Old 10-19-2021, 08:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I follow him and have seen that. An adjustable aperture like that would certainly be lovely, but there's no opportunity to change out inserts during our matches.

I feel the globe is a big leap forward for us over the standard post, looking forward to trying out different inserts. Even just the simple test I posted above is WAY better than the standard post front sight. "Posts" work fine for me on pistols in USPSA but not so great at 100yds off-hand rifle where inches matter.

That's our whole approach to these matches. Baby steps each time. A BX trigger. Different ammo. While she was gone, had Randy's "tune up", and I managed to pick up the globe. If it wasn't such a haul, I'd be out there every day testing.

One day we might buy an entire new rifle but we're learning to appreciate the differences each small upgrade makes.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:35 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Was shooting today with a 3.0 aperture on Anschutz front sight. (I assume that is 3.0mm hole) and at 100 yards that left too much daylight around the 7" black on the target. 2.6 or 2.8 may have been ideal for that size bull. The size of your bull, determines the aperture size, also weather dependent(amount of light)
Old 10-20-2021, 03:08 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660grizzlyguy View Post
Was shooting today with a 3.0 aperture on Anschutz front sight. (I assume that is 3.0mm hole) and at 100 yards that left too much daylight around the 7" black on the target. 2.6 or 2.8 may have been ideal for that size bull. The size of your bull, determines the aperture size, also weather dependent(amount of light)
A 3.0mm aperture was too large! What's your sight radius? I shoot prone at 100 yards on an 8in target. The minimum I'd recommend for that is 3.5mm, well unless your aperture is made of fuse wire! Some very successful shooters use tiny apertures; I think Eric U used the equivalent of a 3.2mm on a normal barrel. I don't hold as steady as he does!

Larger apertures are more reliable (to a point). When the aperture is too tight around the target, it's possible to aim off centre without noticing, even overlapping the target. This is because the inner edge of the aperture isn't clear. Due to diffraction, light breaks off the edge and makes it fuzzy. It's possible to mistake this fuzzy halo for the gap inside a tight-fitting aperture. A larger aperture pushes the inner edge further from the target, so the gap is wider and brighter. As our brain can detect smaller changes in light than size, it makes sense to have a bigger and brighter gap around the target.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:30 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That one happens to be 3.9mm but that was completely random as I was just testing the outer diameter and tab dimensions to make sure it fit the globe I have. Until I point it at a target I have no idea how effective it is. Then I hope I can get it "zero'd" with the limited adjustment on the rear aperture. I really don't want to have to use "offset" front inserts but certainly could print them.

I'll be printing up different sized rings with different thicknesses. Also using thicker support posts, I was just pushing the limits for this one test. I could make dozens of these for a couple of bucks, all it really costs me is time in the design app, and changing the dimensions of those parts of the design takes literally seconds.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cut a few more from 3mm acrylic just to get an idea of how they look. Here's a 2.5mm aperture. I can't get a good pic of how it looks on a scaled-down bull, but I think this size would work.

I think the whole concept of an aperture vs. a post will make a huge difference for us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9130.jpg (374.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9131.jpg (61.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 08:09 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I am impressed by how good those look
Old 10-27-2021, 12:44 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are looking good.

You could probably make a few bucks if you offered them up for various sights. It seems that a lot of times people are looking for them for certain sights with limited selections of inserts.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thx.

Without access to the globes in-question, it would be tricky to guarantee a good fit - needs to be solid, and centered. Also can't vouch for longevity of acrylic - my understanding is they are usually cut from metal (which my laser cannot cut.)

Fun project for a cheap-skate who has a $6000 laser and time on their hands.

All that said, I'd be happy to help someone out if needed.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:08 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Air-gun guys with RWS globe sights might be in need; when I had mine with only one insert they seemed to be unobtainium.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wonder why they're not more common.

I haven't shot with ours yet but it seems like it'll be far better than a post.

Just in typing this, I realize - perhaps because most people go with optics over irons.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:45 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I follow him and have seen that. An adjustable aperture like that would certainly be lovely, but there's no opportunity to change out inserts during our matches.

[…].
Adjustable is useful, I ended up getting an adjustable one while I was figuring out what would work for me.

I was just suggesting that video because he shows how thickness and ring size impacts the sight picture and it might help you decide what you need.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:37 PM
OlePorchDog
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
I bought the globe to replace a post, as out at 100yds the post does not seem intuitive and the size of the (black) bull changes with each round, plus the post (standard AR-style from Tech Sights) obscures much of it.

I can (and will) cut some of the standard style inserts as well, really just wondered if anyone had come across and something different than standard that worked better. We'll take them to the practice range as there's no opportunity to play with them when we go to a match. It's an hour each way from my place plus another 30min for my daughter, so three hours of driving to go practice and test.
I am by far 'no expert' at this peep-n-globe business, been experimenting with it for about a year now but I'll share what I 'think I know'?

A standard card of globe & post will give you lots of choices but what I find is the size of the black bull is important also, that'll determine your globe size to get that white ring around the bull & that's important.

One problem is light 'diffraction' around the aperture and to try to minimize that...diffraction shows itself in 'fuzzy edges' inside the peep sight and on the globe's aperture.

I like this style, custom made for me by a friend back east...just the bare minimum, no post holding the center globe & that helped me quite a bit.
(I'm shooting with a 71 year old eye that has had cataract surgery & that helped immensely!)

Here I'm shooting at 50 yards at 4" spots, I can see rather well.

My favorite now is on the left side, another custom globe from my friend Harry back east...he made it on a lathe. It lets the most light in the aperature & that was a big help.

This one works the best for me, minimizes the light diffraction too...

Harry is showing me the prototype with it's imperfections, evidently this was tricky to make...

Here I'm using it the first couple times, I shot the spots & recorded their group size, patched the target and shot again...
This is in a Sav. MKII FVT (by large not the best rifle in the safe) but I am satisfied with my learning to use a Peep & globe so far...

This sight system is a real kick in the pants and if you are able to use it you will be impressed with how accurate it can be.

charlie
Old 10-27-2021, 02:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlePorchDog View Post
I am by far 'no expert' at this peep-n-globe business, been experimenting with it for about a year now but I'll share what I 'think I know'?
That is really, really valuable info!!

I could make clear and also inserts (black inside clear) as well. I do a lot of (decorative) acrylic (and wood) inlay work on the laser as it is so precise. Acyril adhesive is a solvent so the parts become one.

My head is now spinning at all the options.

One comment about the rear peep/aperture - I don't think it's much of a factor because, from my fiddling around on a rest, moving the eye relative to it makes virtually no difference to the POA? My daughter and I adjust the cheek rest between rounds, but it has no effect on the view thru the sights -if that makes sense?

I really wish I had a way to try things at-home. Our black bulls are around 6 inches (and 100yds), scaling them down and sticking on the fence 30 yards away gives me an idea, but it doesn't show the diffraction like you're talking about.