Question about metals used outside - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:02 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hi Gizzy, glad you are back. Haven't seen you post in awhile. A few things to consider. Aluminum door jams are out there but I don't know how much one would cost that would fit on a French door.

https://www.grainger.com/product/3HR...7a2d1dbb5611ba

I like the idea of fitting aluminum flashing over the the existing door jamb but fixing with epoxy might be a good solution followed by putting a rubber sweep on each door at the bottom.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=0&vt=0&sim=11

They are a common item at many hardware stores and would be fairly cheap as a weather strip item. Then consider putting industrial mice traps outside along the outside wall of the house. Mice tend to travel along walls. You see these traps outside many businesses along the outside wall on a concrete skirt. If you have concrete against the house you will be a step ahead. One on each side of the door would help catch them before they get into the house.

The water heater may have a very small pinhole and if so I don't think you'll get much more use out of that one. Once the tank is perforated it's scrap metal. However if the water is coming out of the pressure relief system or a fitting on top, you could probably repair it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rheem-SP12574...60309296&psc=1

The pressure relief valves can stick open a bit and you can use the lever to flush the valve and hope it seals when you put the lever back in normal position. They are available at the hardware store if it's just the valve.

Connector pipes are usually available.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-18-...88b875654dc185

A water heater can last 10 to 25 years depending on the corrosive effects of your local water. The older it is, the more likely it needs a total replacement. There are tankless units available today that might be viable replacements for a tank model. A smaller tank may also be a reasonable choice to save money on a replacement. For one person 25 gallons is plenty. Many homes have 40 or 50 gallon tanks installed.

I know if you were in California on a limited income there would be state assistance programs to help people in your situation replace things like water heaters and water coolers as a form of government assistance to those who are struggling. Don't be too proud to call your local city and county to ask about assistance programs you qualify for that can keep you in your home. Chances are there is some program you don't even know about! It's not like you never paid taxes so you'll just be asking for some of you money back! With all the helicopter pandemic assistance money being given away now you should ask for assistance on your utilities too! The way government spends money makes me mad but I can't be upset with people in your situation who ask for help. There are plenty of people who take advantage of government programs who don't care if you lose your house and are put on the street while they live in free housing, drive New SUVs, eat free food, get free health care and go shopping for new clothes courtesy of the U.S. taxpayers. Don't let pride stop you from asking for help!
Old 10-19-2021, 01:15 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
YouTube is filled with inventive ways to catch mice. I'm glad that I don't have the vermin population shown in those videos, but a few of those methods might serve your purpose if you don't want to go the conventional mouse trap way. In my outdoor garage, I've found that peanuts and corn seem to attract them. The cat gets whatever if caught.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:27 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the idea of the anode to prolong tank life. I imaging where the water is very hard that's a super good idea.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:57 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
What happened with the reverse mortgage Giz?

Al the Verminator

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1634657617
Al, you have to be 62 years old to qualify for a reverse mortgage. Even though my house has been paid off for almost 10 years now, I am just 60, so I will not qualify for another 2 years. The tank is leaking out of the bottom. It started slow about 2 months ago. It’s gaining speed. I know it’s just a matter of which day it will happen, but I will not be able to replace it. The tank is the second one in this house and is about 15 years old, which is about how long the first one lasted.

As far as work, I cannot even get an interview for a pizza delivery driver. And now with all of my health issues I have to accept that I will not be working again unless it’s something I can do here at home. Too many health issues. With gout, arthritis, high BP and now with stage 4 kidney disease, I am pretty much stuck.

I have a couple of the T shaped bait stations I can put in the basement for the mice, but’s once it is in the house, I will have to buy some Tom Cat mouse poison. It dries them up from the inside so there is no dead mouse odors. So I have the bait stations, just need to get some of the correct poison to use in the house.

Last edited by Gizzy; 10-19-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Around here employers are begging for workers.
I was rejected from jobs I could do in my sleep and more than willing to do by both the county education dept. and the sheriff's office for being "overqualified".

Those positions are still unfilled.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:28 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Al, you have to be 62 years old to qualify for a reverse mortgage. Even though my house has been paid off for almost 10 years now, I am just 60, so I will not qualify for another 2 years. The tank is leaking out of the bottom. It started slow about 2 months ago. Itís gaining speed. I know itís just a matter of which day it will happen, but I will not be able to replace it. The tank is the second one in this house and is about 15 years old, which is about how long the first one lasted.

As far as work, I cannot even get an interview for a pizza delivery driver. And now with all of my health issues I have to accept that I will not be working again unless itís something I can do here at home. Too many health issues. With gout, arthritis, high BP and now with stage 4 kidney disease, I am pretty much stuck.

I have a couple of the T shaped bait stations I can put in the basement for the mice, butís once it is in the house, I will have to buy some Tom Cat mouse poison. It dries them up from the inside so there is no dead mouse odors. So I have the bait stations, just need to get some of the correct poison to use in the house.
Man, what a spot to be in! Did you work a job where you paid into Social Security? You have enough trouble that you really should qualify for the disability insurance, no question about it.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:20 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Man, what a spot to be in! Did you work a job where you paid into Social Security? You have enough trouble that you really should qualify for the disability insurance, no question about it.
Yep, I have paid into it since I started working. Got regular statements from them until about 2 years ago. Just not sure if my Dr. thinks I qualify for disability. That would take care of everything. My state has what they call the homestead act, and if I was disabled, my property taxes would be removed. But I have to be totally disabled.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:30 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
another vote for new water heater

if you're worried about spending $900, look around, you can find off-brands that cost less. check your local plumbing hardware stores

if you're trying to limp along on a failing water heater, you are going to spend a whole lot more than $900 cleaning up and replacing furnishings after that old one lets go
Old 10-19-2021, 09:54 PM
Deathrowdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Work

As far as work, I cannot even get an interview for a pizza delivery driver. And now with all of my health issues I have to accept that I will not be working again unless itís something I can do here at home. Too many health issues. With gout, arthritis, high BP and now with stage 4 kidney disease, I am pretty much stuck.

Well if you were near a Duke Energy , business headquarters , you should have not 1 issue finding employment with them . I have everything you have , plus Congestive Heart Failure . Iím disabled by SS , Duke terminated my employment after 36 years . They say ď you are disabled from SS, but not Duke Energy , return to work or loose your retirement .Ē Well I was not physically fit to return , so I was terminated . Such nice people to work the best years of your life with .

Good Luck with your health issues , you will be in my prayers .
Old 10-19-2021, 10:10 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yep, I have paid into it since I started working. Got regular statements from them until about 2 years ago. Just not sure if my Dr. thinks I qualify for disability. That would take care of everything. My state has what they call the homestead act, and if I was disabled, my property taxes would be removed. But I have to be totally disabled.
I'd recommend finding an ombudsman in your city and getting them to help you. There is no reason for you to be in this pickle, IMO. Consultation with an ombudsman should also be free, as they get their income from taxes.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:07 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd agree you might qualify for total disability with your doc and that might get you $1000 to $1500 a month. Not enough to live high on the hog but enough to pay the bills and not have to reverse mortgage the house.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:22 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
How could you not be sure if your Dr. thinks you qualify for disability? Did you ask them? Take them the Social Security disability paperwork and ask them to fill it out. That should answer your question. Also, waiting to be foreclosed on because of delinquent taxes is not a good solution, and planning to live in your car is not a good plan. If you are free and clear of a mortgage, you'd be better off selling it and moving into subsidized housing if you are eligible.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Gizzy, you mentioned before that you had kidney trouble. You obviously need some help very badly and trying for disability sounds exactly like what you need to do. Do NOT be too ashamed or bullheaded to apply, these programs were created to help people in need. There have got to be some charitable organizations nearby that could help you with your water heater. If you don't go get the help the city will take your home and auction it for taxes, all the work you did paying for and maintaining the place will have been thrown away. If it weren't for SSD and the hospital charities here my wife and I would both be DEAD already. This is a nation where people care about each other regardless of whatever crap you see on the news.

Some aluminum coil stock will cover wood and stop rodents from entering, find a siding installer or even a metal scrapper, you should be able to get a scrap piece large enough free to cover what you described.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:29 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I agree with Mike...though you would have to hide your $'s if you sold your old home somehow.

Go see the doctor and tell him its time to bow out.. or go find work

Too much invested now to just throw it away..lean a little harder into the wind and squeeze in close to the Lord and ask Him for wisdom brother

I ain't got no $ but I remember you in prayer.

pipestone
Old 10-20-2021, 01:23 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gizzy, check in with your local community service organizations (i.e., Lions Club, Kiwanis, Odd Fellows, Elks, etc.) Even the fraternal organizations and clubs that target specific issues are often willing to provide general assistance when it's needed. You may find one of them not only willing to fund a new hot water heater for you, but also provide the labor to install it. It's why they exist, so don't be afraid to ask.