1761 vs 54 action - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:24 PM
Emmaus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1761 vs 54 action

For those that have experience with both the 1710/1712/54 Action Annies and the new 1761 series... How do they compare (especially accuracy)? I have an Annie 1712 Silhouette that shoots tiny groups. Given the relatively small(ish) price difference between the 1761 and a 1712, I would not want to give up much accuracy, if any.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:38 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 1761 will never have the "WOW" factor of a 1710/12. I've had my share of Anschutz 54's. Based on my sample of ONE, the 1761 gives away nothing in terms of function or accuracy.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let me start by saying that I've never owned a 1710/1712 but have had a go a few times with fellow club member's rifles. My main experience with the 54 actions come from shooting against them. Having said that, I'll throw in my opinions and experience so far to see if it helps you.

If your current 1712 shoots tiny groups then I don't think any rifle will shoot any smaller than "tiny". I don't mean that to come across as being smart - it's just I don't think changing to a 1761 action will gain you anything in accuracy, it may just be change for change's sake.

What I will say it that I totally agree with HJA8 in regards to the 1761 giving nothing away in terms of accuracy. I've been shooting some competitions this year with my 1761 MPR and it's been up against some 54 actions among others and if I play my part it's competitive. It mainly comes down to the shooter, the ammunition, your form on the day and an element of luck also I suppose. Essentially, if my score isn't great then it's not the rifle - it's another element or elements of the aforementioned.

If you want to see some groups for comparison with your current rifle to help sway you one way or another, here's some 50m competition target cards, shot from prone using bipod and rear bag. Targets are sized the same as ISSF 50m targets, the only difference is that the black only covers the 10 ring and outer rings as we use a scope and not aperture sights. 10 ring = 10.4mm Dia, 9 ring = 26.4mm Dia. (1761 MPR + SK RM ammo, 5 shots per bull)

I tried some fancy ammo a few weeks ago to compare them, Center-X and R50. Below are some 10 shot groups at 50m, prone, bipod + rear bag, target rings same size as above.

Center-X

R50

Same ammo at 100m. Prone, bipod + rear bag, 20 shots per bull (10 ring = 33mm Dia)

Center-X

R50

Aside from accuracy, I'll mention a couple of other things you may or may not find of benefit with a 1761.

The magazines easily fall free with a forward flick of your trigger finger and are very easy to load into the rifle due to the front of the trigger guard being a guide to slot them home. Magazine changes are easily done by feel so you can maintain your cheek on the stock and not upset the gun (only 5 shot mag's available for the 1761 remember, not like the 54's that have a 10 shot)
The 1761 receiver is shorter than the 1710/1712's so the magazine is closer to the shooter. This point is probably of no benefit to most but I also shoot in prone competitions where the rifle is unsupported aside from a single point sling and a shooting jacket. The magazine being closer coupled with the easy release/insertion means I can reload while maintaining my position on the gun and I never have to lift my right elbow off the ground.

Some other things I'll mention -

I've read online that some 54 actions can have ejection issues. Not having owned one I can't comment but my 1761 has never had any ejection problems. What it does have is the occasional feed issue - maybe 1 in every 150/200 shots. The bullet jams, your pull back the bolt, drop the mag. and the bullet is standing upright on top of the mag. (See the recent thread here with details and a possible solution that I haven't had a chance to experiment with yet)

There are no aftermarket stocks for the 1761 (yet anyway). MDT and GRS make 1710/1712 stocks if that takes your fancy. I already mentioned the lack of 10 shot mag's if that will be an issue.

Budget for an aluminium trigger guard. The plastic ones that come on the 1761 are crappy for an expensive rifle. The plastic ones can have a bit of give in them that makes torqueing the action bolts inconsistant. The alloy one is horrendously expensive but it solves any issues - this isn't necessary to do immediately but it's something to consider. The three 1761 MPR's in my club all have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pls delete
Thanks

Last edited by Gillis2; 10-05-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Emmaus

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Excellent post/answer, Thank you!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It appears the 1761 has some very good qualities. However, the magazine position will be a deal breaker for many offhand shooters. I was surprised to see no 64 actions in the 21 champions choice catalog, is the 1761 supposed to replace the 64?
Old 10-16-2021, 08:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
However, the magazine position will be a deal breaker for many offhand shooters. I was surprised to see no 64 actions in the 21 champions choice catalog, is the 1761 supposed to replace the 64?
I shoot silhouettes and haven't found the magazine a help nor hindrance. It's just there. The 1761 isn't supposed to replace the 64, it already did in 2019. The 64's for sale are just using up the last of producton.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did say many... not all. I know a few who hold more muzzle centric. I, like most silhouette shooters, prefer my weak hand to be directly in front of the trigger guard and since the silhouette rules state that the magazine cannot be used as a support, this would negate my preferred hold. Even in disciplines where this hold is allowed, putting pressure on the magazine can cause feeding issues.
I'm not trying to simply make disparaging comments about the new action, so no need to take offense. It is, however, a design that doesnt lend itself to the largest body of offhand shooters is all I'm saying. For prone, bench, kneeling... etc... the mag position is likely, of no consequence.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:12 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
As a silhouette shooter the magazine location is a deal breaker for me. I will just keep my 1712.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No offence taken - just giving my experience. I tend to hold the rifle with my thumb on the trigger guard and index finger and second finger against the stock in front of the magazine - like an upside down tripod if you get me. I like to hold the rifle as high as possible as my main shooting discipline is prone and I have the rifle scope set for that. I've tried high rings with a second scope dedicated to offhand shooting to keep an upright head position but swapping scopes is a pain so I gave up on it.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:35 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
I don't question the accuracy which by all accounts is excellent. And I like nearly everything about the 1761, except the plastic trigger guard and that ugly mag set-up. I know that the trigger guard and the mag release (which is FAR superior to the 1710/1712 mag release) are integrally related, so those "ears" on the trigger guard are part of the package even with the after-market aluminum version. And I expect that those "ears" are going to be there even with an abbreviated magazine more flush with the bottom of the stock. Functional, but not what you would call elegant. As my son says, you can't have everything -- where would you keep it?

Doug
Old 10-17-2021, 12:41 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
s my son says, you can't have everything -- where would you keep it?
Truth there. I've had to stop buying things. I am running out of places to put it. I have guns in the safe that have never had a round down the tube and more ammo than I have time to shoot.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:44 PM
phillipf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Truth there. I've had to stop buying things. I am running out of places to put it. I have guns in the safe that have never had a round down the tube and more ammo than I have time to shoot.
I have the room and space if you send to me.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:23 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (284)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipf View Post
I have the room and space if you send to me.

Now THERE's generosity!

Doug