Accuracy with a silencer - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Michael_1972

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accuracy with a silencer

What are thoughts on accuracy with a silencer vs muzzle brake vs neither for accuracy?
I’m using a silencer as I don’t need to wear ear defenders, unless someone is shooting beside me. I’ll need to buy ear plugs as the defenders end up touching the stock.
I’ve noticed all the more seasoned shooters either have a muzzle brake or nothing and they all have ear plugs.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:30 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I‘ve seen no loss of accuracy on my .22’s, .17m2 or .17wsm…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-06-2021, 05:36 PM
Michael_1972

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I‘ve seen no loss of accuracy on my .22’s, .17m2 or .17wsm…

Is accuracy the same shooting at bench rest targets or negligible so that when shooting at small furry animals it makes little difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2021, 06:23 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Some rifles will show a POI shift, that’s why you get your hunting zero with the suppressor on. I don’t shoot bullseye. I sight in and practice for the field.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
ive measured groups on my barrels with my mask, my sparrow, my optimus micro and a form 4. assuming the design is good, you should see no loss of accuracy. sometimes you do have to make sure the first baffle is spaced enough from the crown in order to make that happen, so you may have to shim the can a little with washers. but just play with the barrel/suppressor combo and see what it likes.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:49 AM
Rimfire5
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree with no loss of accuracy in either my .308 or 6.5mm CM.
My son's 22 LRs also suffer no loss in accuracy.

The can will increase muzzle velocity marginally because there is about 8 1/2 inches of extra tube that will add acceleration, even though the gases are being bled off.

The .308 gained 18 fps and the 6.5mm CM gained 13 fps.
(I was shooting with a 30 cal. suppressor so there was a bit more gas bleed off with the .264 6.5mm.)
Those numbers amount to the equivalent of 0.3 and 0.2 grains of powder respectively.

As for muzzle brakes and accuracy, I have two identical barrel Savage .308 rifles, one with and one without a muzzle brake.
The difference in average group sizes over hundreds of groups is on the order of 0.002.

Last edited by Rimfire5; 10-07-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:15 PM
Bob58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz' take on silencer accuracy effect

I bought an Anschutz 2017 two years ago. The barrel is threaded for a silencer, but I have never put a silencer on it.

When I first got the rifle, I felt like it wasn't shooting up to the famous Anschutz accuracy standard. I called the US-located Anschutz people to discuss this. While I was talking to the very helpful technician (who suggested I torque the 2017 mounting screws more tightly - which I did, and now with Lapua Center-X lots that it likes it shoots 0.2" five shot groups at 50 yards) I asked about the effect of a silencer on the rifle's accuracy. He told me that their experience was that a silencer will degrade accuracy, but typically not by much.

I only shoot subsonic ammo in this rifle anyway, so I can't see justifying the expense of a silencer.

Caveat - the 0.2" groups came after one other modification on the rifle. I sent the trigger to Neal Stepp at International Shooters' Service, and he modified it to the Anschutz 5091 configuration, a much better trigger than came with the rifle.

Bob58
Old 10-13-2021, 01:05 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Neal knows what he is doing! Very knowledgeable individual w/the credentials to back it up.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:39 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I have shot several of my rifles with and with suppressors, if there is any accuracy difference I can not detect it but I'm a hunter not a bench rest shooter, yesterday I shot three .17m2's with the suppressors they'll be using in the field all three were notably under 1/2 inch five shot groupers at 50 yards.

A CZ 457 Synthetic with a Lothar Walther barrel was going from .2's to .3's.

Ruger 96/.17m2 with a custom Clark barrel (LW blanks are used by Clark), .3's and .4's

CZ 452 with factory barrel cut back to 16.5 inches and threaded steady in the .4's.

So for hunting at least I'd say not a problem.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The point of impact may change slightly. Especially with long thin barrels. Accuracy wise, you may gain some, lose some and you may have no change. I love to shoot my 22s with suppressors and SUB and SV ammo because I dont need earplugs and stuff if I shot alone