Federal 711 Gold Medal - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 AM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)

I shot a lot of the Match (900) and Ultra Match (UM1) back in the day. The lot numbers I had were fantastic. I still have a box or two of the UM1 but it no longer shoots as well as it once did. I didn't expect much after it sat in the bottom of my ammo can for 25 years

Old 10-02-2021, 01:10 PM
llano52

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorhunter View Post
Starting at 7:00 they show that ammo. Not sure when the video was shoot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_O9gSKFguU&t=949s
Season 1, episode 4, July 1997.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:08 PM
Gatorhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llano52 View Post
Thanks I had no idea when the video was produced.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:15 PM
pikepole20
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I remember correctly, the reason for making it was to get ready for an Olympics that was coming at about that time frame and the USA did not manufacture .22 ammo suitable for competition. It was great stuff for awhile, and then interest waned and the rest as they say .....is history.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2021, 09:40 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llano52 View Post
I'm curious how season 1 is in the year 1997?

I'm pretty certain the show ran from 1993-2003. Wouldn't the first season be 1993? Scoutten began narrating the program in season 3, 1995 (according to the following quote seen below). The Gold Medal ammo in the Federal video has the velocity printed on the box's front, 22 box id shows this printed velocity on the front of the box later after 1995? Could it be possible that the video was in 1995 when the (dimple and velocity) were both present? Following 22 box id's example there is no mention of a dimpled case head after 1995?

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/22...SA/Federal.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_O9...der%26Gasoline

Quote:
American Shooter was an American half-hour sports program which ran from 1993 to 2003, first on ESPN, and then on TNN (now Paramount Network), and finally, on OLN (now NBCSN). Hosted by Jim Scoutten. The show featured competitions, classic firearms, gun tech, and exhibition shooting. Each episode featured a segment called "Great Guns", featuring a look back at the classic firearms that shaped American history. The segments were originally narrated by Marc Stengel during the first two seasons. Beginning in Season 3 (1995), Scoutten narrated the segments, rather than Stengel. Another segment featured on American Shooter was Gun Tech, featuring the latest in guns, and shooting gears. This segment debuted in Season 5 (1997), and ran until the end of the series. The final segment of each episode called "Shot of the Week" featuring exhibition shooters demonstrating some shooting tips and techniques. The segments were originally hosted by Michael Blackburn and Byron Ferguson during the first two seasons. Beginning in Season 3 (1995), Bob Munden and John Satterwhite hosted the segments. But Satterwhite departed in Season 4 (1996), leaving Byron Ferguson, and Bob Munden. Byron Ferguson left the show at the end of Season 7 (1999), and was replaced by exhibition shooter Tom Knapp, who joined the show in Season 8 (2000), and stayed until the end of the series. American Shooter was produced by RTM Productions (now RTM Studios).

For the first four seasons, American Shooter was broadcast on ESPN, as part of their ESPN Outdoors block. In 1996, Guns & Ammo magazine bought the show from ESPN, and became Guns & Ammo presents American Shooter. In 1997, TNN picked up American Shooter as part of their TNN Outdoors block. In 2003, OLN picked up American Shooter, where they aired new episodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerNation
Old 10-02-2021, 09:54 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikepole20 View Post
If I remember correctly, the reason for making it was to get ready for an Olympics that was coming at about that time frame and the USA did not manufacture .22 ammo suitable for competition. It was great stuff for awhile, and then interest waned and the rest as they say .....is history.

The ammo was said to be made for the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain held July 25-August 9. I checked out the summer events held. There was a pistol and rifle competition that took place.

There were also winter games held in 1992 and again in 1994. Though not in Spain.

Last edited by NIB; 10-02-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:34 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Launi Meili used the Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match to win the Women's Gold medal in 3P at the 1992 Olympics.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:31 PM
llano52

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
I'm curious how season 1 is in the year 1997?

I'm pretty certain the show ran from 1993-2003. Wouldn't the first season be 1993? Scoutten began narrating the program in season 3, 1995 (according to the following quote seen below). The Gold Medal ammo in the Federal video has the velocity printed on the box's front, 22 box id shows this printed velocity on the front of the box later after 1995? Could it be possible that the video was in 1995 when the (dimple and velocity) were both present? Following 22 box id's example there is no mention of a dimpled case head after 1995?

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/22...SA/Federal.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_O9...der%26Gasoline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerNation
Good question. I was just going by the title of the YouTube video in question, which is "A Look Inside The Federal Ammunition Factory - American Shooter S1, E4."
Old 10-03-2021, 07:45 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes I saw that...(S1, E4) along with the video. If that is correct I'd be thinking 1993? Although Jim Scoutten apparently didn't narrate the show until 1995?

Sure would be nice to see a listing of all the programs/dates. I tried finding one and have not as of yet found such a listing?

The video was interesting, lots of square feet at Federal in Anoka MN.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:25 AM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikepole20 View Post

The ammunition was as good or better than anything manufactured by Eley, RWS or Lapua at the time and was extremely popular with 3-position and prone competitors. I used at least 10 cases of the UM1 (both A and B) before it was cancelled.

The interest did not wane. Blount purchased Federal Ammunition in 2001 as Federal had about 20% of the market share for hunting ammunition at the time. The bean counters got involved after the sale and ultimately cancelled the UM product line.

For many years, competitors were able to purchase UM direct from Federal by the case (5000 rounds). At the end after cancellation was announced, Federal was clearing out the warehouse of all UM ammunition and - in a less than honest manner - combined multiple loose lots into full cases by making stickers with new lot numbers. They used the stickers and pasted over the original lot number stampings.

To make a long story short, many shooters purchased what were supposed to be full cases (of one lot #) only to find out later than they were not sold what was advertised. Call it what you will, but I have close friends who were screwed.

I have not purchased a single round of Federal ammo - of any type - since then and don't plan on ever purchasing any Federal ever again.