Mossberg 144LS, 144LSA, 144LSB - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:14 AM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14man View Post
Especially the 144LS, it was my first rifle.

Nice stance, nice rifle. Were you shooting on a team back then?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:48 PM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmantwo View Post
From what I understand, the LS was the original model the LSA was prior to 1979, and the LSB was produced after 1979

That is what a lot of the data out there shows. However, I have a 144LSB that has no serial numbers, which puts it before Nov of 1968 [GCA '68]. This confusion on LSB dates is known, but the published data does show that 1979 threshold.

The following is from a letter I sent to Mossberg. They directed me to Havlin Sales without any comment:

Quote:
Some of the data lists the Model 144LSA as being made up until 1969, with other listings saying that it was made until 1979.
Yet the advertisements I have found from before 1969 [1963, 64, 65, 66, 67 and 1968] list it as a Model 144LS [no ‘A’ in listing, but barrel listed as 13/16”- so, an A model], with a 13/16” target barrel.
After that date, I’ve found ads from 1973 and 1980 that list a Mossberg Model 144 [not even listed as LS], having the Lyman Sight, the S331 rear sight, and a “26” heavy target barrel, 15/16” round”- without listing a different 144LS with the 13/16” barrel of the LSA. These ads are clearly the Model 144LSB, even though one of them was printed 6 years before the prevailing ‘official’ documentation says that these models ever came off the assembly line.

Otherwise, I cannot comment on WHICH is the best for you. I've only shot the 144LSB. I will say it makes me look like I have skills!

However, if I were packing the rifle through the woods, I'd go with my other Mossberg- 346KA, as it is lighter.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:47 PM
gmantwo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The LSB trigger is adjustable, but still heavy in my opinion for a target rifle. The trigger/firing pin arrangement is absolutely the simplest I’ve ever seen. I added an over travel screw to mine which works extremely well. Been trying to locate a trigger shoe but can’t seem to contact Tyler to make sure they’re still in business. I also need a forehand stop if anyone has an extra? I just finished redoing the stock and reblueing the barrel. Without going through my ammo assortment I was able to put 4 shots into my pinkie nail at 165 yards. Can’t wait to really get into this rifle.
I have thought about shortening the barrel, as all that length is pretty much wasted. Rimfire powder burns up in 11”, but I’m not certain how much further the bullets gets “pushed”. Would love to find a shop that could back bore the barrel about 12-14”, leaving the “shroud” length to stabilize the bullet in.