50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot June 2021 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:26 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot June 2021

May. 2021 Results

50 Yard Iron Sight Shoot

I see this shoot as a place where we may keep track of our own shooting improvements, compare our shooting abilities with our fellow shooters, and to brag a little.

OK, lets start:
Iron Sight (Globe & Peep)
Matches start on the first day of each month and end on the last day of the month. Scores to be reported by the 2nd- 4th day of the following month. A Score Bulletin with all shooters names posted on the 4th or 5th day of the following month.
TARGETS TO BE USED IN THIS MATCH: NRA A 23/5 target. Note: This target is only for 50 yards. Five shots are fired at each bull for a total possible score of 200-20X.
The "HOW TO SCORE"

Ammunition is shoot what you have.
Optical front lens are permitted but limited to 1.5X. Shooters may use tube extensions on either their front or rear sights as long as they do not contain any optical magnification and the extensions do not form one solid tube between sights; i.e., there must be a distinguishable distance between the front and rear tubes making them separate. Shooters may use any type or color of front sight insert (clear, amber, etc.) and after market eyepieces or discs on their rear sight (Merit, Hadley, Gehmann, etc.) as long as the inserts or discs do not offer any optical magnification.
You may shoot as many targets each month with the same rifle but please only post one target. If you use a second or third rifle please only post one target per rifle. Shoot as many rifles as desired.
From the front edge of the bench to the face of the target: 50 yards.
A maximum of 20 minutes is allowed to fire all sighter shots and five shots at each of the 4 record bulls per target.
You may shoot on an indoor range, please note it when post your score.
The let's not:
have any rail guns, or benchrest stocks. Any rifle with a benchrest type stock or a custom action or a factory action that has been "blueprinted" will not be allowed in this class. A benchrest stock is one that has a forend with a flat bottom, more than 2.7 inches wide, and/or has the bottom of the buttstock parallel or near parallel to the bottom of the forend. Bench Rest Blocks (plates attached to the accessory rail or stock) are not permitted.
At the end of the year (early January) I will compile all of a persons scores divided by 12 (months in a year) and post a yearly score.
I would like for everyone to report their score and equipment information as follows

Example:
Your name or screen name
Rifle, ammo, score
Equipment list (rest front/rear, any thing special about your setup)
Weather/or shot indoors
Excuses: Anything you would like us to know about your shooting day.
Would be nice if you could post a photo of your setup.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:27 PM
Ken_N

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I gave it a shot today with peep sights, and my best ammo.

Ken_N
Anschutz 64 mpr, Eley Tenex, 191 5x
McRee chassis, front bipod, rear sandbag, Anschutz rear sight, Gehmann iris, Anschutz duo iris front
Calm overcast day, 0-5 wind, around 70 degrees

I planned for peep sights, but I forgot the spotting scope. The range only checks targets every half hour, and I took 2 target checks to get the sights dialed in close enough.

Im still playing around with everything, rear iris, front aperture, etc. The 191 5x was my 3rd target and my old eyes were getting tired. I stayed for one more target and took the peep sight off and put the Anschutz/Hawke kk50 scope on. I like this scope because it has a thick circular reticle that creates a sight picture like using a peep sight, but I can see the hits and get immediate feedback. Ill have to remember the spotting scope next time.

One image is the combined 20 shots using peep sights, the second is with the scope so I know I can improve.

The software I ran the targets through predicted +5 points if the sights were better centered (up 0.292, right 0.152) with the final 4 points from tightening the group up.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:25 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Not much interest it appears ...

I left Florida to drive North and did not get to shoot this game this month. But I see only one person posted a score for the month of June. And I was reading the "rules" which have changed since I last remembered them. I would like to see unlimited participation and posting and no time limits. Here is an email I sent to Chuck. I invite others to share their comments.

Hi Chuck,

I see rules have been changed. Sorry, I don't remember when. Only post one target per month seems to discourage shooting and this one doesn't work at a public range with time outs: A maximum of 20 minutes is allowed to fire all sighter shots and five shots at each of the 4 record bulls per target. No can do.

Regards, David Valdina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2021, 03:30 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I left Florida to drive North and did not get to shoot this game this month. But I see only one person posted a score for the month of June. And I was reading the "rules" which have changed since I last remembered them. I would like to see unlimited participation and posting and no time limits. Here is an email I sent to Chuck. I invite others to share their comments.

Hi Chuck,

I see rules have been changed. Sorry, I don't remember when. Only post one target per month seems to discourage shooting and this one doesn't work at a public range with time outs: A maximum of 20 minutes is allowed to fire all sighter shots and five shots at each of the 4 record bulls per target. No can do.

Regards, David Valdina
Hello David

I sent a email to your hotmail email address, I am reposting it here in case you may not check that account often. Below is the message I sent you.

Disregard the one target rule, revised rules coming soon. Less restrictive. New rules within a month.

Chuck40219
Old 06-27-2021, 04:00 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thank you sir ...

Thank you sir. I moderate the airgun on line matches here on RFC and have tried to make the rules as flexible as possible to encourage people to shoot and post. Over the years I have found rules that allow you to shoot what you already own bring in more people than otherwise restricting the equipment. As to those who claim some get an unfair advantage, I say to them that there will always be that as a 40 year experienced shooter will be better than a novice. The range with no wind most of the time will do better than the range where the wind blows like stink all the time. Shoot what you have and post what equipment you use, the rifle, the ammo etc. My thinking, David
Old 06-30-2021, 10:32 PM
Hanover67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanover67
Rob Fates, Alamo, California
June 23, 2021
195-4X
48-1X, 47-0X, 48-1X, 50-2X
Remington 521-T, SK Rifle Match ammo
Lyman 57RS rear and 17A front sights
Protektor front and rear bags

Variable gusting wind fishtailing from the rear. 85 degrees. The wind died for long enough to shoot the last group of .55" about as well as this rifle with me behind it can do.