What 54 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:55 AM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What 54

I was looking at an Anschutz rifle recently the description said match 54, but just wondering what match 54, serial no 166811X and it has safety on the left side of the trigger, looked like a thinner barrel as it was stepped down from the action.

The owner when asked could only say it's a match 54, but I know you guys have the knowledge to identify it. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:15 AM
ruthus540
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishshooter View Post
I was looking at an Anschutz rifle recently the description said match 54, but just wondering what match 54, serial no 166811X and it has safety on the left side of the trigger, looked like a thinner barrel as it was stepped down from the action.

The owner when asked could only say it's a match 54, but I know you guys have the knowledge to identify it. Thanks.
You will be asked so let me save many some time. We need to see a picture or picture in your case to help successfully. Picture posting is not the easiest but there are directions in a sticky under the Anschutz group started by PWNolan that can show you how:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=708505

Ron
Old 02-14-2021, 10:16 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
I think the step might indicate a 1407.
Is there an actual X at the end of the serial number or is that there to disguise the number?

Last edited by Camster; 02-14-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2021, 10:23 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The serial number, especially with the "X," indicates its a "16xx" series rifle. Technically, Anschutz didn't call them 16xx but continued to use the previous 14xx designation until the 18xx series was produced. In any case, since the rifle in question has a barrel that was "stepped down from the action" it probably has a barrel that's 66cm in length (muzzle to breech) and 22mm in diameter. The most common of these is the model 1607.

Note in the image below the 1407 is what Anschutz shooters generally refer to as a 1607 (it has changes from the previous 1407 models, but Anschutz still called them 1407's). If this is not the rifle in question, please give a few more details.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:44 PM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I don't have pictures,
X is at the end of the serial number, the rifle is right hand bolt with a left hand aftermarket stock so not the original stock, I shoot left handed but I am right handed.

SO the X means probably 16xx can you give me any details of these rifles , when they where produced and what discipline's would they have been used for.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:57 PM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishshooter View Post
SO the X means probably 16xx can you give me any details of these rifles , when they where produced and what discipline's would they have been used for.
Based on details from Anschutz, proof dates, and observation, 16xx rifles were made from 1977 to 1980. X Marked receivers/barrelled receivers were used through 1980. All that I've seen were made for conventional smallbore Prone or Olympic-style 3-Position (Prone, Standing, Kneeling) matches: the 1613 is a Free Rifle, the Olympic 3-Position rifle,but also used for Prone-only matches; the 1609 and 1610 are slightly cheaper variants of the 1613; the 1611 was a dedicated Prone-only rifle; the 1607 was a one-size-fits-all 3-Position rifle meeting ISU Standard rules. Anschutz didn't make a dedicated BR rifle until the 1990s, and the Biathlon/Running Target rifles seem to have still used 14xx receivers.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:22 PM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys for the info
Old 02-14-2021, 07:15 PM
Hip's Ax
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Hip's Ax
If you buy this rifle check the trigger pins, if they are held in place with pink glue its the original trigger and that glue can break eventually and there are no more replacements for these from Anschutz. If there is no pink glue (i think they used clips) then the trigger was replaced with the updated version.

If the glue is there and is not broken you can rough it up a little and put more epoxy over it.