Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
rudyg

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Zephyr II owners

Just recently received my brand spanking new Zephyr II in 22 WMR., had it on the range the past couple of days doing a break=in cycle & it is shooting awesome. On the average at the outset it generally is shooting 1/2" groups or less @ 50 yds. Using CCI, 30 grain polymer tip ammo which is the same ammo the factory used on the test target provided. Also used the Hornady 30 grain polymer tip which also shot well. Thru the years I have owned many 22 WMR rifles & this one in the most consistently accurate so far. Not soo bad for my 83 year old eyes.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 PM
boatmike
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
Seems like mine cocks on opening. I don't recall any of my rifles cocking on closing. Out of all the 22LR's I own I only have two that seats the bullet into the rifling and that is my TC Contender with 22 Match barrel and my H&R Model M12. As for switch barrel capability...I would say no only because that would be a selling point for Steyr and I have not seen any barrels for sale.
There is a cocking indicator on the back of the bolt, It sets itself as you are
closing the bolt. The bolt is pretty stiff to close, pull the trigger and close the bolt
and it closes effortlessly. Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure seems to work harder to close than it does to open. Am I off base on this?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 PM
jfraz3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Man what a lenghty thread! Hope you guys all get your issues figured out! I have had no issues with me, other than its picky about what ammo it likes, or I should say “what ammo I like for squirrel poppin’

I did get my new DIP trigger guard in the mail today!!!! Every thing about it is exactly as advertised! Just like the other 4 I have on CZ’s around here. Really finishes off the rifle! Will post pics once I get time to get it installed
Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
jfraz3,

Hey, those new DIP trigger guards make the new Steyr Zephyr II rifles look awesome, don't they? That was the one thing I did not like about the new rifle.

I must admit it is a VAST improvement in looks! Glad you like yours also. Shoot it well!

Brittman
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Last edited by kisssofdeath; 07-24-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Old 12-14-2018, 05:41 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Old 12-16-2018, 09:32 AM
boatmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'll go out and recheck. I don't recall anything moving in the rear of the bolt going forward.
Am I losing my mind already? I know a few of mine of cock on close, the only ones that come to mind right now is an early Win 69 and a Romanian trainer.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Shooter92

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
Am I losing my mind already? I know a few of mine of cock on close, the only ones that come to mind right now is an early Win 69 and a Romanian trainer.
The only current production rimfire that clocks close is a savage b-mag 17 wsm and what a disaster that is !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back to Alabama...?

So I got a new scope from Santa, and was excited to sight it in on my newly "repaired" Zephyr. Finally had a day warm enough, so I was stoked.

Unfortunately, now I'm getting light primer strikes to the point where 50% of the ammo (different brands) won't even fire. After waiting months to get my rifle back, spending 500 bucks on a new stock (so I'm in this thing about $1500), and countless emails and phone calls the first repair "go-round", I'm about at the end of my rope. I can't for the life of me figure out why this problem would just develop out of no where. I suspect maybe the colder weather may have been the tipping point, but when I examine the rims, I can barely see the firing pin strike. Something is going on that is beyond my ability to diagnose.

Lucky for me, nothing is open around here this time of year, or I would probably just sell this thing for whatever and be done with the headache. I imagine I will call Steyr after the New Year and see what they say. I very much regret this purchase and wish I had known CZ was launching a new line. I would have waited for that or went with one of the new Vudoos (sp?) everyone is talking about. I've got plenty of other rifles to shoot but dang, this is frustrating.

This stupid rifle shoots sooo well, it's killing me that it won't work properly. Hope all you other Zephyr owners are having better luck and I wish you a Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Old 12-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Kiteman72, that sucks bad. I can understand your frustration with all the trouble you have had. If it's an option for you, you may consider taking the bolt apart and checking for anything unusual.

Call and talk to Herb or another tech and see if they can give you the firing pin and spring length. Can't think of anything else right now.
Hey, KOD! I figured I would wait until I had calmed down a bit before I tried taking anything apart, haha.

But, no, you are right. After the new year I will call them up and see what we're going to do. Perhaps something got gummed up in the bolt and a little cleaning will fix it. I may run it by a couple of local gunsmiths, but I'm sure they probably haven't seen a Zephyr before. Still, it may save me the hassle of sending it back again. Thanks for your advice tho, I really do appreciate it! Hope you are having a great holiday season!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 AM
boatmike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oof. I would be hoppin mad, but at this point I think you're in too far to quit! I've put at least 1500rnds downrange with mine now. I started shooting SK Std and have switched to the CMP Eley this season. After the initial break-in I've only brushed and patched every now and then if I feel she's getting cruddy. I do pull the bolt & clean the bolt face & crud in the firing pin hole more often. I do a quick wipe on the CMP stuff with a paper towel as they are "judiciously" wax lubed. Being bulk packed it's all over the case. (Still the best deal going!) I think I've only had two FTF with said ammo, both rechambered & fired with no issues. I'll probably take the bolt apart & clean after this winter season. Just pillared & bedded my 40xb, only the second rifle I've done, but turned out nice. Callin it practice for the Steyr when I do it and add the new bottom metal. I still love it for shooting offhand, feels great. ('m thinking you've got an issue with the firing pin or crud issue with the firing pin, if it were any kind of headspace issue I would think it wouldn't shoot as well as you say? Don't know what else could cause such a thing)

Last edited by boatmike; 12-30-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the continuing saga...

So after 2 emails and 2 phone calls, I should be receiving a return label and sending my bolt in to Steyr so Herbert can take a look at it. Fingers crossed that this will resolve the issues and I won't have to send the whole rifle in.

Like boatmike said, I'm in too far now to give up.