Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:23 PM
VinnieBoomBah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

"Technical perfection does not lie at the soul of beauty"

Me, circa 1983 walking away from a photographs exhibition.
He was absurdly proud of mastering The Zone System but his understanding of composition was sadly absent from all of his work.
Or, if you prefer the vernacular

"Just 'cause somethin is correct that don't always make it right"
Old 10-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Cur-Mudgeon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjennings View Post
Thanks for that good advice, I appreciate everyone shearing their knowledge with me. Just so you know, I get a lot of returning customers, some own 3 or four of my stocks. If you do any kind of custom work, I would like to see it so I can appreciate your knowledge and expertise. By the way, Iím 75 years old, if youíre lucky enough to live that long, I hope you have a constructive hobby so you enjoy life as much as I do. Have a good day and try to help me out, posting as much as you can.
Thanks
Larry
All good, Larry. The only hands on custom work I do these days is tying fishing flies- some of them are real complicated and take hours to make. The worst thing is that some of them take so much work and look so good that I never end up using them for fear of ruining my work, LOL.
Always good to have hobbies we enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
Just a passing thought, Cur-Mudgeon; have you ever priced a milling machine?

And another; I, personally, don't care how precise the inletting looks, I care how it fits. I have an aftermarket stock whose inletting looks very precise, made by a manucacturer you have cited. After a lot of tape, it fits well, too. My opinion: precision isn't how it looks, it's how it fits.
A quick look on Craigís list I found close to a dozen Bridgeport machines in the Green Bay area near me, most range in price from $1500 to 2600.

With that he could do a lot of other things like custom pillars, inletting, etc.

And I hear you on looks vs fit. Iím not just talking about cosmetics, either- alignment, centering, the mag well which IS visible.
I have a Remington 700 that was bedded by one of the big name gurus in CF stocks. It looked perfect, custom pillars, bedding smooth as glass, very clean work- and the installed action moved like a teeter totter in it. It had to be stripped out and redone.
I have another that I bedded with aluminum tape. It looks HORRIBLE inside, and shoots beautifully.

Go figure.

C-M
Old 10-13-2021, 07:36 PM
lbjennings
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
Just a passing thought, Cur-Mudgeon; have you ever priced a milling machine?

And another; I, personally, don't care how precise the inletting looks, I care how it fits. I have an aftermarket stock whose inletting looks very precise, made by a manucacturer you have cited. After a lot of tape, it fits well, too. My opinion: precision isn't how it looks, it's how it fits.
There is a lot of bad inletting covered up by pretty bedding. Nowadays, things are built to look pretty and sell, not to last. New and improved and the latest and greatest is a big joke. A good example, my wife had to have one of the newest clothes washers. That thing cost us around $1000, it’s 3 years old and already rusting around the lid. We got rid of a, perfectly good ten year old Maytag that did clean my dirty shirts. This new one won’t clean the sawdust out of my shirts, it doesn’t even have that agitation thinge.
Most guns nowadays aren’t worth the price tag and someone please tell me what’s in a trigger that makes it cost $300, give me a break.
Anyway, I try to build a stock that is worth owning and using and is comfortable to shoot. I’m sure my stocks aren’t for everyone, they are created by me and there are no duplicates. I’ve never been that guy who has to have what everyone else has.
I drove a Chevy Avalanche, some people called it half a truck, oh well. I owned a Honda Goldwing, when everyone else had to have a Harley, I guess it was a noise thing.
Larry

Last edited by lbjennings; 10-13-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:15 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
There is a lot of bad inletting covered up by pretty bedding. Nowadays, things are built to look pretty and sell, not to last. New and improved and the latest and greatest is a big joke. A good example, my wife had to have one of the newest clothes washers. That thing cost us around $1000, itís 3 years old and already rusting around the lid. We got rid of a, perfectly good ten year old Maytag that did clean my dirty shirts. This new one wonít clean the sawdust out of my shirts, it doesnít even have that agitation thinge.
Most guns nowadays arenít worth the price tag and someone please tell me whatís in a trigger that makes it cost $300, give me a break.
Anyway, I try to build a stock that is worth owning and using and is comfortable to shoot. Iím sure my stocks arenít for everyone, they are created by me and there are no duplicates. Iíve never been that guy who has to have what everyone else has.
I drove a Chevy Avalanche, some people called it half a truck, oh well. I owned a Honda Goldwing, when everyone else had to have a Harley, I guess it was a noise thing.
Larry
A lot of proprietary design and precision parts that make the Kidd 2 stage the finest 10-22 trigger on the market, anywhere, ever.

If youíre of the mind that there simply IS no trigger worth that kind of money, thatís 100% OK- those of us who DO buy them find them WELL worth the money.

Some people donít feel the need or want to pay the price for high precision, top of the line components. Itís all about standards- for function, feel and accuracy.
You get what you pay for. (hopefully)

Your standards for accuracy are likely quite different from someone who buys a Kidd Supergrade with 2 stage trigger, puts a Leupold, Zeiss or Nightforce scope on it, and has azguy pillar bed it into a $550 McMillan stock.

None of it matters as long as YOU are happy with YOUR work or YOUR rifle.

DrGunner
Old 10-13-2021, 08:26 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Just so you guys know. Before I got into the stock building, I painted landscapes for about 20 years. A lot of my work went on magazine covers, I finally got burnt out on it. You should always do something you enjoy, I think that's the key to a long, happy life.
larry

Last edited by lbjennings; 10-14-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:54 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
A lot of proprietary design and precision parts that make the Kidd 2 stage the finest 10-22 trigger on the market, anywhere, ever.

If you’re of the mind that there simply IS no trigger worth that kind of money, that’s 100% OK- those of us who DO buy them find them WELL worth the money.

Some people don’t feel the need or want to pay the price for high precision, top of the line components. It’s all about standards- for function, feel and accuracy.
You get what you pay for. (hopefully)

Your standards for accuracy are likely quite different from someone who buys a Kidd Supergrade with 2 stage trigger, puts a Leupold, Zeiss or Nightforce scope on it, and has azguy pillar bed it into a $550 McMillan stock.

None of it matters as long as YOU are happy with YOUR work or YOUR rifle.

DrGunner
I’m sure you are right about the Kidd being a precision product and there are probably others that fall in the same category, but there many products out there that just don’t have the quality you are paying for. I think some even write their own reviews. A few years ago I bought, what I thought, was a quality upper assembly because of the reviews and the price, for my AR, It was a piece of junk. You learn from your mistakes, sometimes.
Have a good evening.
Larry

Last edited by lbjennings; 10-13-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:50 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Iím sure you are right about the Kidd being a precision product and there are probably others that fall in the same category, but there many products out there that just donít have the quality you are paying for. I think some even write their own reviews. A few years ago I bought, what I thought, was a quality upper assembly because of the reviews and the price, for my AR, It was a piece of junk. You learn from your mistakes, sometimes.
Have a good evening.
Larry
Oh, yeah- youíre absolutely right about shameless vendors self promoting their products. We had something like that happen here, long ago, where a vendor had an employee create a user profile for the sole purpose of posting positive reviews and talking up their wares. In this day and age, any time I see a new product with a low number of reviews, all 5 star, Iím always suspicious and either do more research or at the least- if the product cost is high- wait several months before buying.
The Kidd 2 stage is NOT an example of that. Iíve built, modded and pillar bedded quite a few 10-22s over the years, but my 10-22 building days are all but over for now. I kept all the ďpicks of the litterĒ and sold any that didnít reach my standards for aesthetics, function, and most important to me- accuracy.
Despite having done quite a few pillar & rear tang bedding jobs on mine & those of friends & family, there are limits to what Iím willing to risk with the DIY stuff.
I have 2 stocks that were inletted & pillar bedded by azguy, the guy does amazing work. One is a custom BR 10-22 with Lilja barrel; I couldnít even come close to his work. The precision inletting he does on his mill is a thing of beauty to behold, and shows rather obviously whenever I remove and/or reinstall the action in the stocks heís done for me. I have Kidd 2 stage triggers in my 2 supergrades and in my BR Kidd Classic/Lilja rig. I doubt I would have been able to shoot the groups I have posted in the games in the Ultimate 10-22 forum with a heavier trigger. 3oz/3oz is incredibly light for a semi auto trigger pull, and there isnít anything on the market that comes close to the Kidd 2 stage, IMO-

Iíve contemplated buying a mill myself many times over the years, but I just donít do enough of that kind of work anymore to justify the cost & work of getting one & installing it.

DrGunner
Old 10-14-2021, 01:31 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Aloha Larry, I avoid most social media due to the negativity, just not worth my time. But I do love guns and shooting so I look at a bunch of forums and gun sites each night to fuel my passion. Unfortunately, as is evident from the recent posts, the negativity creeps in here as well. While the vast majority of members are positive and respectful, some are not, guess they just cannot help themselves. This may not mean much to you, or it might, but wanted to send some positivity your way:

- First, I love your stocks. I have been following your stock posts for a while now and have commended a few times. Your creativity is awesome and I always look forward to what you will do next.
- Second, you mentioned a "happy life". One of my mantras is "My Goal is happiness: do things which make me happy, avoid things which donít". Clearly making your stocks brings you happiness, so keep at it regardless of what others have to say.
- Finally, I am inspired by the way you receive the negativity and respond in a positive humble way, a lesson I am still trying to learn.

Thanks for sharing your work!
Old 10-14-2021, 05:52 AM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Aloha Larry, I avoid most social media due to the negativity, just not worth my time. But I do love guns and shooting so I look at a bunch of forums and gun sites each night to fuel my passion. Unfortunately, as is evident from the recent posts, the negativity creeps in here as well. While the vast majority of members are positive and respectful, some are not, guess they just cannot help themselves. This may not mean much to you, or it might, but wanted to send some positivity your way:

- First, I love your stocks. I have been following your stock posts for a while now and have commended a few times. Your creativity is awesome and I always look forward to what you will do next.
- Second, you mentioned a "happy life". One of my mantras is "My Goal is happiness: do things which make me happy, avoid things which donít". Clearly making your stocks brings you happiness, so keep at it regardless of what others have to say.
- Finally, I am inspired by the way you receive the negativity and respond in a positive humble way, a lesson I am still trying to learn.

Thanks for sharing your work!
Thanks for the nice comments, and your right, the negativity seem to distract us into being something we arenít. I always try to add a little creative thinking into any project, sometimes I get a little too crazy. I guess thatís the fun part of my hobby. My wife sometimes just shakes her head and doesnít comment on some of my stocks. This stock Iím doing right now, is one of those times.
I believe, when you get to that point in life, when making money isnít a big issue anymore, youíre happier.
I worked at a printing company for 44 years and have never made a lot of money, but I put two daughters through college and owned my own home since I was 22 years old. Like the song says, ďthatís something to be proud ofĒ.
People think I have a big shop, to build gunstocks. They would laugh if they could see. All of my sanding, sawing and router work is done outside in my driveway. My shop consists of a 8x16 insulated room in my garage, which also is my reloading room.
Before I forget, I have visited your beautiful island, We were there at Christmas and new yearís. My biggest memory were the huge waves coming in on the north shore.
Take care my friend
Larry
Old 10-14-2021, 09:00 AM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Just so you guys know. Before I got into the stock build, I painted landscapes for about 20 years. A lot of my work went on magazine covers, I finally got burnt out on it. You should always do something you enjoy, I think that's the key to a long, happy life.
larry

BEAUTIFUL painting Larry.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:26 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (281)
A really beautiful painting. Maybe you should show some of your others here?

Doug
Old 10-14-2021, 11:42 AM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post

Doug
Thanks Doug, yeah, they’re all over our house and all five of our kids have some too. That’s a hobby gone by the wayside. It was fun while it lasted, just got burnt out.
Larry
Old 10-14-2021, 12:07 PM
lbjennings

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post

Doug
Doug, here you go, I'll probably get in trouble posting my paintings here, but you can move them if you need to.
Larry

Old 10-14-2021, 12:40 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Doug, here you go, I'll probably get in trouble posting my paintings here, but you can move them if you need to.
Larry

Larry- Those are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I especially like the one with the train, itís definitely my favorite. You will not get in any trouble posting these here, it was by request and it is your thread and youíve already now been complemented by both of the moderators of this section for your obvious talent.

Youíve definitely got mad skillz there, sir.

Bob Ross has nothing on you!

Respectfully,

DrGunner
Old 10-14-2021, 01:14 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (281)
Very nice, indeed! I especially like the Lighthouse and the The Stone House and Bridge over the stream.

Doug