Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:24 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

That sounds logical. Good luck.

As long as you are replacing everything else, I like the idea of the Tandemcross guide rod and spring.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-12-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster
Have you inspected the chamber with a bore scope? I had a 10/22 that behaved this way. The carbon ring that had developed was keeping rounds from seating fully in the chamber.
My thoughts exactly.

When it starts acting up, lock the bolt back and drop a round into the chamber by hand. It should fall in and seat completely - by itself. Verify by pushing the round in with your finger. If it moves in further, you probably have carbon ring. Then point the muzzle up and see if the round falls out without any help. Again, if it doesn't fall out on it's own - you probably have carbon ring.

.22 caliber brushes are sized to fit the bore - not the chamber. A .243 brush works much better for keeping the chamber clean. To remove carbon ring, start by soaking the chamber with some penetrating oil, like Kroil or Ballistol. Then put some JB bore paste on a tight fitting patch & jag. Scrub the chamber with 50 or so strokes before running a clean patch. The chamber will then shine brightly all the way to the leade. Repeat the "plop test" to verify the ring is gone, or use a bore scope.

Good luck. 30,000 rounds is just a good break in period IMO.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:31 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have stated that the bolt shows a lot of wear and it makes me curious. Exactly what type of wear and where is it on the bolt?
Old 10-13-2021, 10:43 AM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
My thoughts exactly.

When it starts acting up, lock the bolt back and drop a round into the chamber by hand. It should fall in and seat completely - by itself. Verify by pushing the round in with your finger. If it moves in further, you probably have carbon ring. Then point the muzzle up and see if the round falls out without any help. Again, if it doesn't fall out on it's own - you probably have carbon ring.

.22 caliber brushes are sized to fit the bore - not the chamber. A .243 brush works much better for keeping the chamber clean. To remove carbon ring, start by soaking the chamber with some penetrating oil, like Kroil or Ballistol. Then put some JB bore paste on a tight fitting patch & jag. Scrub the chamber with 50 or so strokes before running a clean patch. The chamber will then shine brightly all the way to the leade. Repeat the "plop test" to verify the ring is gone, or use a bore scope.

Good luck. 30,000 rounds is just a good break in period IMO.
When it went back to S&W, two of the things they did was polish the bore and feed ramp so that should have taken care of any carbon. I'm certain that they would have seen a carbon ring or anything else during the process. Before I ever sent it to S&W, I inspected the bore with a light as well as cleaning the bore (the entire gun, for that matter) thoroughly and there was no evidence of a carbon ring then or now. I did, however, perform the drop test that you suggested and you couldn't ask for a round to go in or drop out any slicker than what it did. I expect S&W's bore polishing probably helped in that regard.

The wear marks on the bottom and top of the bolt are what I consider normal, shiny marks where the bolt makes contact during cycling but who knows. The bolt is the only thing left that I can figure may be causing the problem. As I said, I am just going to buy a new bolt when one comes available. Until then, I'll clean the gun after every range session and that should help.

I appreciate all the input.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:01 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would just send it back again telling them it is not fixed. It is not like it is a new gun that's unreliable, it has given you good service until now.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:42 PM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm not having good luck with my old Victory. After a good cleaning I thought heck, I'll shoot it a few more times just to see how long before the bolt fails to return. I didn't have to wait long because in less than 40 rounds, it failed numerous times. On top of that, the bolt will not stay open after the last round is fired. While in the process of getting it ready for it's return to S&W, I took off my custom grips and while installing the OEM grips, one of the screw heads broke off leaving the threaded portion in the frame. Can anything else happen?