Modifying BX 15 mags to 10 rounds? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:26 PM
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Modifying BX 15 mags to 10 rounds?

Wonder if anyone has done this. I'm looking for an extended 10 round mag solution that is easily grasped without stacking mags and or paying big $ for a 1/4" thick screw on option. I'm thinking that pinning a bx 15 might be an option. Open to suggestions.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think you could just fill up the bottom of the mag with some sort of epoxy so it will onlt alow 10 rounds. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UBgK53c-nlQukf
Old 10-10-2021, 04:09 PM
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I think you could just fill up the bottom of the mag with some sort of epoxy so it will onlt alow 10 rounds. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UBgK53c-nlQukf
Doh!! I searched here but didn't think to check Youtube. My bad. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2021, 06:23 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Why not just load 10 rounds into a BX-15 mag? Another option would be to just stick something like a knob for a drawer to the bottom of a 10 round mag. Plenty of good adhesives available.

Last edited by Nick7274; 10-11-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:28 PM
gomi_otaku

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Doesn't everybody always say anything but the stock 10 round BX magazines are finicky? I think loading only 10 rounds, or modifying it, isn't going to make it less finicky. I'd just use one of the mag links, if the only purpose is to be able to pull it free easily.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Genuinely asking here, because I don't understand the problem you're trying to solve?

All our 10-rd magazines drop out of the rifles when the release is pressed. Why would you need an "extended" version or something to "grasp"?

Again, just trying to understand what the problem is.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:26 AM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you want to put a limiter in a BX-15 mag just use a piece of cardboard or something else that is stiff about 1 inch long in the bottom of the mag. That will reduce the capacity to 10 rounds and can be easily reversed. This does not effect the operation of the mag at all, except to reduce the number of rounds it will hold.

Experiment with the exact length to get the capacity you want.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:29 AM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomi_otaku View Post
Doesn't everybody always say anything but the stock 10 round BX magazines are finicky? I think loading only 10 rounds, or modifying it, isn't going to make it less finicky. I'd just use one of the mag links, if the only purpose is to be able to pull it free easily.
I've got 3 BX-15 mags that I have had zero issues with using them for steel/rimfire challenge. I also have shot a couple of rimfire falling steel matches and the BX-15 mags are easier to load when you need to go fast.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:21 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Genuinely asking here, because I don't understand the problem you're trying to solve?

All our 10-rd magazines drop out of the rifles when the release is pressed. Why would you need an "extended" version or something to "grasp"?

Again, just trying to understand what the problem is.
Some stocks on 10/22's are a little tight around the mag area making it so they don't drop free. Very easy to fix with a little bit of sanding.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:32 AM
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks, I've been reading about reliability issues too. Just looking for options. My state does not allow mags over 10 rounds but I have access to a few BX 15s from a friend in a neighboring state. If I could modify them, I could bring them in. Maybe I'll just go with those hokey TK mag extensions on my 10 rounders. I've never been too impressed with any TK accessory, I doubt this will be a first.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:11 AM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
My state does not allow mags over 10 rounds but I have access to a few BX 15s from a friend in a neighboring state. If I could modify them, I could bring them in.
When I noticed your location as "NE", I figured you were in a mag limiting state, thus the reasoning for wanting to mod a 15 round mag. (And I didn't figure it was Nebraska.)

I suggest, even with a permanent epoxy plug in the bottom, you should consider what an over zealous LEO and prosecutor might do. The mag will still look like a forbidden item, so an LEO just might cuff & stuff you on principle. Whether the prosecutor actually charges you could be up to interpretation of law. Either way, it'll cost you time and headache.

Just sayin'.....Roger
Old 10-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
My state does not allow mags over 10 rounds but I have access to a few BX 15s from a friend in a neighboring state. If I could modify them, I could bring them in.
When I noticed your location as "NE", I figured you were in a mag limiting state, thus the reasoning for wanting to mod a 15 round mag. (And I didn't figure it was Nebraska.)

I suggest, even with a permanent epoxy plug in the bottom, you should consider what an over zealous LEO and prosecutor might do. The mag will still look like a forbidden item, so an LEO just might cuff & stuff you on principle. Whether the prosecutor actually charges you could be up to interpretation of law. Either way, it'll cost you time and headache.

Just sayin'.....Roger
As long as it can only hold 10 rounds they don't care. I live in MA, one of the most restricted states in the country and when I buy anything that comes with 30 round Pmags the shops just stick a -20 round limiter in the bottom. Could be removed in 20 seconds without any tools if one chose to but they still consider that acceptable.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:40 PM
GTS225
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
As long as it can only hold 10 rounds they don't care. I live in MA, one of the most restricted states in the country and when I buy anything that comes with 30 round Pmags the shops just stick a -20 round limiter in the bottom. Could be removed in 20 seconds without any tools if one chose to but they still consider that acceptable.
Fair enough. I'd say go for it, then.

Roger