Special Little Rifle to the Range Tomorrow - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
Since the J & B Weavers are 3/4" tube scopes, why wouldn't they fit the mounts you have?
I know I will need more height......and the N2 and 3 and N4 are all the same except for more height in the 3 and 4.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-06-2021, 12:38 PM
jeepwm69
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Razorback Country
Posts: 
724
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Well, all good advice here above........and welcome in this difficult situation.

Here's how I'm leaning now. Since I'm 75 and ready to pass this along to a family member I'd like to keep it looking like it does in all the family pictures from many years ago.

The Pan-Tech scope is toast and not worth fixing......and not the original scope anyway. It's something my dad picked up after I was long gone.

This rifle first had a Weaver G4 and then a B4. I'm looking at buying a refurbished B4 and I might go as far as a J4 because that would be a little better scope and wouldn't change the looks much.

I'll need an N3 mount and maybe even an N4 mount. From what I can garner from the info available they would all fit the same holes.

So.......that's where I'm at right now.

Thanks for all the great info.
I picked up a Winchester 63 for Dad back in the spring that had an old B4 on it.

I think he intends to put a NOS 3/4 Redfield he has on the 63, but he can't find the rings he has for it.

But the B4 is a serviceable little scope.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-06-2021, 01:23 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwm69 View Post
I picked up a Winchester 63 for Dad back in the spring that had an old B4 on it.

I think he intends to put a NOS 3/4 Redfield he has on the 63, but he can't find the rings he has for it.

But the B4 is a serviceable little scope.
Yes, I'll probably end up with a B4.

The J4s are a lot more expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-06-2021, 02:53 PM
ClarenceAnderson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Posts: 
632
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a J4 in what appears to be the same mount:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12492761784...UAAOSw891hVgsv

There's another without mounts at $85 BIN.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
Here's a J4 in what appears to be the same mount:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12492761784...UAAOSw891hVgsv

There's another without mounts at $85 BIN.
Thanks much.

I'll be watching them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-08-2021, 07:16 PM
syfr's Avatar
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Mar 2010
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
399
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great little rifle!

Looks just the right length to have the barrel threaded! Shoots good too!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-08-2021, 07:33 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
Great little rifle!

Looks just the right length to have the barrel threaded! Shoots good too!
Will shoot better when I find a scope and get it on.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-13-2021, 08:52 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I know I will need more height......and the N2 and 3 and N4 are all the same except for more height in the 3 and 4.
Well........that was not so.

Tried an N4 just to see how high it would be, and.......

Holes don't match up with the N2 holes and if they did it would extend the scope out to the right of center.

So.......don't believe everything you read.



I hope the N3 holes match up.......when I find one.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, assuming anybody is still reading.

I found a nice B4 on e-Bay that has a clear view and good cross hairs and managed to get the turrets off and slide that ridiculous side mount off of it and get the scope on my old N2 mounts.

Existing drilling, tapping and N2 from 1948 finally went together although the old drilled and tapped holes and the four screws that hold it to the rifle are pretty much boogered........it is ON and solidly attached.

I had been convinced from the pictures that I'd need a higher mount for the B4, but in person it turned out to be long enough to leave room for the bolt to clear.

Next comes sighting in.......hoping I didn't damage the scope.

We'll see.

So far, so good.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-15-2021, 01:54 PM
jeepwm69
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Razorback Country
Posts: 
724
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Ok, assuming anybody is still reading.

I found a nice B4 on e-Bay that has a clear view and good cross hairs and managed to get the turrets off and slide that ridiculous side mount off of it and get the scope on my old N2 mounts.

Existing drilling, tapping and N2 from 1948 finally went together although the old drilled and tapped holes and the four screws that hold it to the rifle are pretty much boogered........it is ON and solidly attached.

I had been convinced from the pictures that I'd need a higher mount for the B4, but in person it turned out to be long enough to leave room for the bolt to clear.

Next comes sighting in.......hoping I didn't damage the scope.

We'll see.

So far, so good.

Thanks for the update. Need moar pics!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Rocinante's Avatar
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2007
Location: 
MN
Posts: 
564
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And it shoots!

This is a fifty-year-old target shot by a 75-year-old man using an 85-year-old rifle with a 60-year-old scope at a distance of 25 yards.

Don't count us out yet.






And here's the rifle with the new (old) Weaver B4.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-15-2021, 06:57 PM
syfr's Avatar
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Mar 2010
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
399
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well done, very well done!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-19-2021, 11:51 AM
jeepwm69
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2009
Location: 
Razorback Country
Posts: 
724
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks great. Fun little family heirloom to enjoy and then pass on to future generations to enjoy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x