Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:46 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Different way to shoot a Charger.

I watched a video from Lucky Gunner about cheek weld on a pistol. He was using a Keltec CR33 but I thought it should work on my polymer stock Charger. I played with it and I need to get to the range. I think it will work and unbelievable how steady it was. My wife thought it was steadier too. Whole new ball game if it works. Better than a brace which the ATF is going after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFnKCNKRBK0&t=2s
Old 10-11-2021, 12:16 PM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried the cheek weld with the 22 Charger today and it worked. My wife even says it is easier. Tried underhand and overhand grip. The overhand worked better. No need to put a brace on the Charger. Now I am thinking it could be shorter but it definitely works as is. A takedown would pack pretty small. The S&W 15-22 pistol or rifle with the butt stock or brace removed would work well too. If any of you have AR pistols this would work without the brace. Remove the brace and tell the ATF where to go.
Now I have to figure out how to mount a single point sling.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Chargers do not weigh enough to make the ATFE's (proposed) list of feature-math... so even if it becomes a rule, no worries.

Still, finding a shooting style that works for you is always good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2021, 03:20 PM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The shooting style was noted on the Charger picture thread several years ago I found out when I went looking for stock ideas. It works great for offhand. I was just cleaning the Chargers and moved the red dot a little further forward to get more cheek surface.
I still don't know what the final rules are but there is a catch all clause in the proposal that says a braced pistol is anything they "feel" is a braced pistol. About as ambiguous as you can get. Go to court if you don't like it is their attitude.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:30 PM
CheckSix
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some shoot a Henry's Mare's Leg this way:

It also works well with this kind of stock on a Charger:

I routinely ring the steel man silhouette at 100 yards.

I have a letter from the BATF stating this is a pistol, not a short-barreled rifle.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:39 PM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was looking at converting a wood 10-22 stock. The guy that posts videos on the cheek weld technique does AR's and birds head grip shotguns the same way. I don't know if I am brave enough for shotguns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kKBaLI1f8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dC7q1f906w
He is really pushing the Keltec CP33. 2/3 the weight of the Charger and shorter. I know you can get the weight down by swapping barrels and stocks but the mag in the grip reduces the length considerably. Not to keen on buying a CP33.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-11-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:12 PM
CheckSix

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The gentleman in the photo is shooting a .22 LR Mare's Leg.
He has one in 38/357 that he shoots with 38's.
I'm not enough of a "recoil junky" to do a shotgun.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:25 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used to compete in the "Rimfire" Hunter Pistol matches using a T/C Contender with a 10" Match barrel and we used a Taco Hold . . . which is similar to what they are doing. I also tried it on my Magnum Research version of the Charger and can get a consistent cheek weld off my right thumb.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:05 AM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked up the taco hold and it is indeed similar. My red dot is slightly elevated and I moved it further forward to get more area for the cheek weld. It surprised me how well it worked and how much better the overhand grip was. I was doing a fast 3 shot drill at 10 yards on 1/2 size silhouettes and I was missing with the underhand. Overhand was a lot tighter. 15 shots under and 15 over. I need to practice this and get the technique down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheek weld target.jpg (187.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:48 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Chargers do not weigh enough to make the ATFE's (proposed) list of feature-math... so even if it becomes a rule, no worries.

Still, finding a shooting style that works for you is always good!
Are you sure you have that correct? Everything I've read seems to point to the ATF stating that the minimum weight is 64 ounces. In other words, it has to weigh as least four pounds to be considered a candidate for a brace.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Nope, not sure... will have to wait for more definitive language if the proposed changes are actually implemented.

The 'features' table just says it must weigh 64 ounces before you start counting points.

There has been speculation both ways on the future of those weighing less.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:42 PM
JTJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The ATF deliberately makes rules ambiguous so they can read it any way it suits them. Fraud and treachery in action.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:20 PM
CheckSix

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My understanding is that any time you use any attachment to a handgun as a shoulder stock, it becomes a short-barreled rifle.
I submitted a question to BATF about an item that was once for sale that had a cup at the forward end of a skeletonized stock that could accept a pistol's grip and be held in place by the shooting hand. There was no permanent attachment to the pistol. I was told that the item was not illegal, but actually putting the pistol in the cup and holding it there turned the pistol into a short-barreled rifle. It was a matter of function, not design.
The stocks of the Henry's Mares Leg and my modified Charger are too short to be shouldered.

My understanding, your mileage may vary.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:11 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My thoughts. A pistol is meant to be hand held and not shoulder rested with any kind of extension. Any modifications to make it possible to use your shoulder as a support should make it a short barreled rifle. If you want to have extra support from the shoulder by a firearm (rifle) with a folding butt-stock. Stay legal and never worry.