Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:49 PM
newkid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel for Copper Ammo

This thread maybe asked before but I did a quick search and found nothing. Therefore, please forgive me if this thread has been asked.

My question is about a .22 lr rifle barrel (10/22 or CZ 455) that can shoot those new copper bullet accurately. Is any barrel maker make a barrel that can do it?

Thanks,

Last edited by newkid; 10-05-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have decent results with the 32gn Cutting Edge bullets in a regular 1:16 twist barrel. I am still waiting for a fast twist barrel to try the heavier bullets.

That barrel has a regular match chamber. It works well, but I did need to trim the brass slightly because there is little freebore. While lead bullets are easy to push in, the copper bullets don't insert as well.

Cutting Edge did work with Manson to make reamers for the heavier bullets. There is one reamer for the 40gn bullets and one for the 50gn bullets; my understanding is that the one for the heavier bullets has longer freebore but is otherwise the same. I have not heard any reports on how well they work.

I did post some info on reloading the 32gn bullets at https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1223939
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Would think a 1 in 9 twist would stabilize the longer ones but single feeding the heavier solids in a 1022 action would be a chore unless you have some small agile fingers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2021, 08:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IIRC, Cutting Edge specs 1:9 for the 40gn, 1:6 (or 1:7?) for the 50gn
Old 10-05-2021, 10:13 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My suggestion is ditch the 22 LR and step up to 17 mach 2 or HMR. The lead free 17s have a jacket and will shoot fairly well out to 100 yards. Those lead free 22 LRs are garbage on paper in my opinion. There is also a 22 magnum lead free but I haven't tested them. I know the 22 LR is the traditional small game king but for all practical small game hunting the 17s can outshoot the 22 LR by a lot especially past 50 yards. Some of us love the 17 hm2. I actually prefer it for ground squirrels unless I have to shoot past 100 yards. It is mild mannered and bolt guns in the caliber are much more accurate than a typical 22 LR. 1/2 inch or less is is not uncommon at 50 yards. What are you getting with that lead free junk? Maybe 2 inches at 50? Wild shots? A fast drop off in speed? Shotgun patterns at 100??? The advantage to the HMR is more widely available ammo and the mach 2 is not as loud and more efficient in shorter barrels like 20 inch.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While I agree that the commercially available lead-free 22LR ammo is garbage, I thought the OP was asking about the new .22 copper bullets available from Cutting Edge and Badlands. I have the 32gn CE bullets shooting MOA at 50 yards and 1-1/2MOA at 100 yards. While itís not what I would consider match quality, it is easily good enough for hunting to 100 yards.

Maybe OP can tell us a little more about what his intended use is.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:45 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
As suggested by the previous poster, the difference between the cci copper and the custom loaded ce copper bullets is huge.

The problem is the 40 and 50s are single feed only and loooong. And a 1 and 6 twist is a very specific twist from not many makers.

Guessing the op is not after suggestions for the cci copper.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:15 AM
newkid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for all the responds. What I want is a 10/22 or a CZ455 barrel that can shoot those new .22lr copper ammo. In California, we cannot hunt with lead bullet anymore but those .22 copper ammo are not accurate at all. Therefore, I want a barrel that can shoot better.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would suggest trying the 32gn CE bullets in your current barrel. I had good results using 2.3gn of 3n37 and also with 2.2gn of Longshot, and i think that there are a number of other powders in the range of those burn rates that would work. If you go to the CE web site and look around, they have a chart with some preliminary testing of a bunch of different powders. I like Longshot better because it gave me higher speed and more cushion before pressure started to be an issue.

If you want to shoot the 40gn or 50gn bullets you will need a faster twist barrel.

I think I got slightly better results by coating the bullets with HBN, but not so different that I think it is really necessary.

The copper bullets will leave copper on the lands of your barrel, and shooting lead bullets along with the copper will increase pressures over what you would see with just shooting the copper alone.

Loading the little tiny case and bullets is kind of tedious, and it isn’t easy to get great consistency with the powder at those very small amounts, but you should be able to get something that shoots a lot better than the commercially available lead free 22LR.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:27 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think he's looking to reload 22 LR. For California copper only hunting, the 17s are the only real solution. Try a 17 HM2 or HMR barrel for your 455 You won't regret the change especially with all copper 22 LR north of $8 a box anyways. Mach 2 at $10ish a box will no doubt be a huge step up in accuracy over the lead free 22 LR. I would keep the 10/22 for plinking with lead ammo and use the CZ for hunting in 17 cal.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, if the question is really "what barrel will shoot the commercially available lead free ammo well" then the answer is none.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:32 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acourvil View Post
Well, if the question is really "what barrel will shoot the commercially available lead free ammo well" then the answer is none.
Thing about twist rate is that it is related to bullet length, not weight. Though weight can be related to length when you have a cylinder of fixed diameter.

In theory, if the copper bullet is the same shape and size as a regular 40gr lead 22lr bullet and it is moving at ~1100fps then a normal 1/16 rimfire barrel should be fine.

Since copper is about 80%of the density of lead a 32gr copper slug should be the same as a 40gr lead slug.

So now that we know it isn't a length issue (most likely) then other things come into play. Is the copper ammo "junk"? IE, is it loaded like CCI SV and other known-to-usually-be-accurate ammo in the same price range? Or is it loaded like Thunderbolts, Wildcats, etc ? I guess it would be too much to hope for that it is loaded like SK offerings.....