Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:03 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Pandemic plinkin'

This started out life as a pistol, specifically a Crosman 1377.

1377 stock.jpg

Not sure if that puts it in this forum, or if its current configuration shown below should put it in the air rifle forum. I've had it for probably 15 years and barely touched it after my youngest graduated from a few shots with it, to shooting my rimfires with me. Like many shooters, when the pandemic severely limited my out and about activities including range time (not to mention the ammo shortage), I took a new look at the little 1377.

I discovered with a bit of online homework that it's kind of the 10/22 of the air gun world - entry level in stock form, good but not great, brilliantly simple, with loads of aftermarket parts, mods, upgrades, and support. I can't resist tinkering on my guns, even my entry-level plinkers, so when I read up on the 1377, the bug bit me. This could be the personalized equivalent of the pine cone and pop can rimfire plinkers I enjoy so much. I snagged a shoulder stock, steel breech, and 18-inch barrel, along with a better pivot pin for the pump arm. Even with those upgrades, I have less into it than the stock price of rimfire handguns like my Buckmarks.

A 1377 isn't crazy hard to pump, but at 5-7 pumps per shot (minimum), a 100-shot or so outing can give us brothers of the geezerhood a bit of inadequate leverage fatigue due to that relatively short pump arm. That and a few annoying finger pinches if I'm not careful while pumping. So here's the cheapskate mod that made family and friends laugh (if there's anything I enjoy more than plinking and tinkering, it's being a cheapskate). My wife has a hanging file cabinet and she didn't want to hang files in the bottom drawer. I gladly took the aluminum struts on which the file folders hung, then measured, chopped, drilled, painted, and wrapped.

Skilled I am not, and sleek and sexy, it ain't. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I be the one holdin' this in the back yard. That tomahawk club of a pump arm weighs next to nothing (aluminum, remember), was angled to make sure I don't rap my knuckles on the stock when pumping, and provides leverage that makes even 10 pumps all but effortless. I hold the end of it when pumping, and higher up just under or in front of the trigger guard when shooting, and it makes for a surprisingly balanced and comfortable hold when shooting standing and unsupported.

It would be ridiculously unworkable in its pistol form now, but with the shoulder stock, that extended pump arm isn't in the way at all. As mentioned, pumping almost feels like a free-swinging hinge until pump 5 or 6, and resistance is negligible even beyond that. With an old red dot I had laying around, it makes for fun and convenient backyard-friendly plinking until hopefully, this long strange trip leads back to normality and the rimfire range one day.

1377.jpg
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like it will work ok. necessity is the mother of invention.

I have an old Feinwerkbau 124 sporter that probably had not been shot in that long. My son brought my 9 year old grandson over Thanksgiving and he was wanting to shoot, so I thought to bring it out, but the piston seal had broken so I had to send it off for repair. I just got it back last week, put my scope back on and was outside this afternoon at about 25 yards, shot one hole in an old box, then zeroed subsequent shots to that one. When I finished I shot a little 5 shot one hole group, not bad for an old man.

Not having the air gun we carried the grandson to my rifle range , about 50 miles away, and he had a blast, went through well over a brick of 22LR over two days shooting my Ruger 77 22 , and trying several others including some handguns, Centerfire up to 6.5 Grendel in rifles and one shot with my 9mm Sig P365, and a couple of cylinders of 38 in a S&W K38.

Back to my afternoon with the air rifle, It is a spring air type, barrel cocker and honestly after about 20-30 shots my arm was getting a little tired and sore from cocking. My wife said why don't you keep shooting and I commented I need to do some every day to get some strength back for cocking, especially when the grandson comes.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:14 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a labor of love we can all appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2021, 07:53 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree on the 1377 being the 10/22 of the air gun world, given its modular construction that allows you to rebuild it one end to the other with parts of your choice. We have an older vintage 1377 with the metal receiver. One of the reasons I like it is that it has a longer pump arm compared to other pump pistols of the same vintage. Those vintage Benjamin and Sheridan pump pistols with their short cocking levers are a bugger to pump.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:05 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love it. I have a 1377 that's been hanging around here for quiet a few years. The only modification I have ever made is adding a red dot sight. I have found it to be very accurate off a rest but being deep into geezerhood I seldom shoot it anymore as it quickly becomes tiresome. I will have to delve into the world of mods for this little gem.

As to the ten pumps I seem to remember eight being the max on these. Of course geezerhood also affects one's memory like it does one's muscles. Neither work nearly as well as they did forty years ago so I may have the pump numbers wrong.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:36 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
This is sort of a cross-section view of the pump arm made of the aluminum struts, in the white. They measured about 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick, and 18 inches long. Two mid-length struts in the center, from the rear end of the pump arm, to the Y with the short pieces. Two longer struts on the outside of the two mid-length left just enough gap for the ends of them to slip around the forwardmost hole in the pump mechanism. Then two short pieces to match up to the rear holes in the pump mechanism, with a couple spacers to fill in between short pieces and pump mechanism.

Arm 1.jpg Arm 2.jpg

And in the white on the 1377:

Arm 3.jpg

Like I said, it's not gonna win any beauty contests, but in use, it fits form and function suprisingly well, and it takes all the downside out of pumping.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:06 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Most Excellent!!!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 02-04-2021, 09:18 PM
jkingrph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a reworked S&W 78g in yesterday, Took it out a few minutes and shot on some metallic silhouettes and did ok, the wind was blowing too strong to check on accuracy but think it's going to be fine. It feels just like my S&W M41.

I have a new Crossman 2300 S in the mail, another CO2 gun, It has a Lothar Walther barrel and should be very accurate, and a Williams micrometer adjustable rear sight. Should be very accurate. Doing some looking there are a lot of upgrade accessories available, mostly in the trigger area and a power adjuster for velocity,

At least with these I will not have to pump or cock a heavy spring.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:02 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A bit of an update; it's spring in the high country, so I headed to my cabin in the northern Arizona mountains to open it up for the season. It's gorgeously green up there, so while I was doing the spring thing, I took the 1377 carbine out in the woods to plink somewhere other than the garage.

The fixed 4 power AO Hawke scope is perfect for this little carbine. I believe there is often genius in simplicity, and the 1377 fits that label. For something that's almost as basic and primitive as blowing spitwads through a Bic pen, the 1377 is surprisingly accurate and enjoyable to shoot out to about 20 yards. Spinners, ice cubes, soup cans, and an endless supply of pine cones and cowpies made for a great afternoon of recreational plinking in the national forest. Bonus - no need for earmuffs or searching for just the right hillside to protect hikers or others who might be in the line of fire half a mile away.

The 1377 was only supposed to be a make-do compromise until 22lr ammo showed its face on the store shelves once again. But for my recreational purposes, this doesn't feel like much of a compromise at all. The 1377 carbine is a keeper, so I dressed it up just a bit with a textured finish because black plastic may be functional, but I think it's ugly.

Crosman3.jpg

We'll be spending some time in the forest together on Memorial Day weekend. This is a great little plinker for its relatively modest cost even after the upgrades like longer barrel, shoulder stock, and steel breech.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:10 AM
jkingrph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
Agree on the 1377 being the 10/22 of the air gun world, given its modular construction that allows you to rebuild it one end to the other with parts of your choice. We have an older vintage 1377 with the metal receiver. One of the reasons I like it is that it has a longer pump arm compared to other pump pistols of the same vintage. Those vintage Benjamin and Sheridan pump pistols with their short cocking levers are a bugger to pump.
You might add the 2240 types as being similar to the 10/22 as far as being to modify, I now seven built up, all different and waiting on parts for another.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:16 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like Airguns..You kinda reminded me to take em out and shoot them..Put some vics vapor rub behind the pellets
Old 10-02-2021, 12:18 PM
djohns6
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the new 1377 shoot BB's as well as pellets ? I don't see it mentioned in any of the catalogs . My old one did .
Old 10-04-2021, 10:29 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I donít know if it will shoot BBís, but with a rifled barrel, everything I read said donít do it.