Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

"What if" spare parts list.

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  PABear 
#1 ·
I was just looking at the floor plate thread and it go me wondering.
In order to keep my CZ rifles running strong for the long run, what spare parts should I keep on hand incase they become unavailable in the future. Or what may realistically fail at the range, and having a spare on hand would be convenient. I haven't had a failure yet from my CZ rimfires, but they do happen I'm sure.
Thanks

#2 ·
Just buy a duplicate gun or two, much easier:bthumb:

Or,

A firing pin a firing pin spring and a trgger spring a barrel extractors grub screws mag well mag spacer pin, action screws bottom metal stock, etc.

Nothings going to break or fall off unless you beat your guns .

#3 ·
Nothings going to break or fall off unless you beat your guns .
This.

I don't handle my firearms with kid gloves, nor do I mishandle them. I've never experienced a failure of any part on any of my CZs, and I highly doubt I ever will. My CZs are made every bit as well as my Stevens Model 66 that was my father's (the last year of production for that model was around 1936), and it's yet to fail after rounds beyond counting being fired through it. I have every confidence my CZs will be just as durable.

#5 ·
If I were to, it would probably be the extractors and extractor spring (items 36,37 & 38). I wouldn't bother with a firing pin unless I had modified it like some folks do. I'm guessing if something was going to break it's likely to do so during the warranty period, assuming the gun gets used and isn't leaning against the back of a safe with 20 or 30 other CZs. lol

#9 ·
I'm shooting a 1957 Brno model 2 that has had who know how many thousands of rounds through it and it works as well as any new 452 I ever had. (and better than some) I'll probably put a new striker spring in it someday because I have some. Otherwise, I don't anticipate needing any parts.

The Brno/CZ's seem to be made fairly well.

Hank

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.
Yeah, I haven't had any breakages to date as I mentioned in my first post. I figured with all of the CZ shooters here on RFC something would turn up as a must have replacement part. A few good recommendations were offered above. Luckily I can't have just one CZ so spare rifles are already in my "spare parts" safe I suppose.
Its refreshing these days to still be able to purchase something that is made to last like a CZ firearm. So many other products have planned obsolescence engineered into their design lately. I repair appliances so I see this first hand every day I work.

#12 ·
Only parts I've had break on me in the last 30 (or is it 40 :eek:) years of shooting are
- 1x firing pin on a Anschutz 1413
- 1x firing pin a C7 (Canadian issued M16)
- 1x forehand attachment lug on a M50 trap gun

This been said, I've seen a number of guns out of commission because the owners
- Lost their only magazine
- Their 1x and only magazine got worn out and was no longer reliable

#14 ·
Always thought that 5x per rifle and 10x per pistol was a good start.
- A case could be made for buying a "spare" rifle because said magazines are hard to come by :cool:

and I can think of a few individuals who bought a 10/22 TD, because they can share magazines with the regular 10/22...

#15 ·
With good care, over the long term I'd stock a set of all springs.

Now with Remington down, I've got a new Rem that has a weak spring...but Remington is out-of business (temporary, I hope). No one makes the spring, not even woluff. And in looking, I've found over 100 other shooters in the same boat with new rifles, and bad spings. Bad springs might just last a few hundred rounds...or 20 years.

#21 ·
yep, no springs there either!

Brought it up as OP was to spare parts. CZ is foreign and could disappear over night with no usa supply. cz 22s are durable...but most RF get fired a lot more than a CF dgr.
CZ is building a plant in Little Rock Arkansas. This will allow them to skirt any future import bans.

#20 · (Edited)
I've seen a few Trainers usually captured by local cops from poachers that use them in very high mountain terrain. Mostly stolen guns rode HARD, poorly stored and never cleaned/lubed, commonly having the following missing/broken parts:

- Wood stocks; split, cracked or completely broken.

- Front sight assemblies. Usually missing covers and with broken posts and/or the little bolts that allow regulation.

- Plastic butt plates, either missing or broken.

- Firing pin springs; mostly broken in sections or damaged by heating or replaced by erzat ones.

- Extractors, usually broken

- Extractor spring, also missing.

- Broken safety lever.

- Missing trigger guard wood screw; threads in the stock damaged.

- Broken firing pins; usually poorly soldered.

- Broken/cracked/bent bolt handles.

- Broken/cracked mag well assembly

- Bent/broken trigger guard

Pretty much a list of parts to have if planning very rough use and excessive wear for many years. Most damage seem from dropping the guns and excessive wear due to super careless handling. Of course finish is usually gone and guns show heavy rust damage since they're usually hidden underground in the open wrapped in plastic bags and carried around in rough terrain.

#22 ·
Kind of surprised that Wolff weren't able to come up with something that could be made to work.
- Many (OK maybe 20 :confused:) years ago, a friend needed help to replace a hammer spring on some weird Russian shotgun (RMB-93)

After spending some time on the phone with a guy from Wolff telling him the intended use, inside/outside diameter... he got back to us with some suggestions... I think it was about $20 + shipping for a sample pack. A few try-out and we were able to get his shotgun up and running again.

Needless to say, I was a big fan of Wolff springs before, and that one intervention just made me on bigger fanboy :bthumb:

Good luck with your 783.

#23 ·
As shooters and tinkerers the RFC'ers are a great lot but as prognosticators you folks Hoover. In one thread a gent is telling every one that .17m2 ammo won't be made again for years (Same BS I heard back in '06 when I came here). Now someone is warning us that CZ may disappear in the US, thankfully someone pointed out their new presence in Arkansas.

Let's not mention the hundreds or thousands of Brno's still around from the mid 40's, might throw them into convulsions. ;)

#25 ·
Wolff is a good company and have good products, been buying their springs for 40+ years.

Talked to Mr. Wolff himself.

looking over my guns for what parts they have needed. Found that detachable mags (clipp) were #1 item failing (dropped/cracked plastic). So i would definitely add a magazine to the CZ spares list. I've found second source mags seldom work well, so I'd get at least one extra CZ mag for each 22 rf CZ I own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.