Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:39 AM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bore snakes...yes or no?

I see a fair bit of divided opinion on the use of bore snakes for cleaning, not just on the 17 hmr but on all calibers.
Whats your own take on them?
I personally only see them as good for the final polish after cleaning with patches and a rod to ensure any fluff or solvent are fully removed.
I certainly wouldnt use one to start my cleaning on a barrel as not only would it be mighty tight in the bore, it would soon full the boresnake with gunk to be dragged through the barrel next time you used it?
I have removed the bronze brushes on mine using a pair of fine nosed pliers as I found it was uncomfotably tight in the barrel with them in it.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:44 AM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's all I've ever used on my .17HMR. It works really well.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:45 AM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
bore snakes...yes or no?

Bore snakes are fine, they don't take the place of a one piece rod and accessories.

Not sure why you would remove the bore brushes from your bore snake, yet use them with a rod?

Bore brushes aren't going to harm your barrel.

When using a rod just be sure to use a rod guide and clean from the chamber to muzzle with all cleaning tools.

.17 hm2 ,.17hmr and .22wmr & wrm all should be cleaned with a good copper remover as well.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 07-30-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 11:07 AM
VASCAR2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Friend has a Savage 93 R 17 FV and all he used was a bore snake. After several hundred rounds the accuracy fell off. I cleaned the barrel with solvent, bore brush and patches. The accuracy was restored after a good cleaning.

My personal opinion, bores snakes are handy and I use them on pistol barrels and my shotgun barrels especially if only a few rounds had been fired. On my precision rifles I rarely use a bore snake.

I use a bore snake frequently on my AR-15's with dedicated 22 rimfire uppers. I also use bore snakes on my 22 rimfire pistols especially my Advantage Arms 22 conversions. I still will use a rod, brush and solvent on my rimfires but have learned accuracy can fall off until the barrel is seasoned after cleaning.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:19 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use mine as a preliminary run through. Clears the grossest parts out nicely. They are not deposited in the next barrel.

After the snake I use an oily patch - let that soak while I clean bolt, breech-face, whatever else needs a quick hit, then run dry patches through till it's clean. Another lightly oiled patch to keep it till next time, and back in the lock-up. Works well, and has done so for many years.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Vegemite, yes or no?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the pro side:

We’re happy little Vegemites, as bright as bright can be.

We all enjoy our Vegemite, for breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our mummies say we’re growing stronger every single week,

Because we love our Vegemite, we all adore our Vegemite

It puts a rose in every cheek.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the con side:

"It tastes like dog butt"

Only you can decide
Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 AM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
bore snakes...yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I use mine as a preliminary run through. Clears the grossest parts out nicely. They are not deposited in the next barrel.

After the snake I use an oily patch - let that soak while I clean bolt, breech-face, whatever else needs a quick hit, then run dry patches through till it's clean. Another lightly oiled patch to keep it till next time, and back in the lock-up. Works well, and has done so for many years.

Kinda exactly sorta very similar

I carry one pretreated with hops for each gun I carry to the range if I don't bring my cleaning rod.

After shooting any one gun I pull the bore snake through and leave in bore till I get home. The clean with rod/patches/cleaner/oil before putting it up in the gun safe.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 07-30-2017, 11:36 AM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have never used one but I see a lot of snakes at trapshoots. The thing I keep hearing is that they are really great at the end of the day, and when the gun gets home it will get a good cleaning. I'd just as leave skip to the good cleaning.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I typically only use them at the range. If my gun's accuracy starts degrading while I'm the I just run the snake through with a little CLP and then right back to shooting. It's quick and easy and they are easy to store. I bring one for every caliber gun that I bring with me. When I'm at home and have time I typically don't bother with the snake and break it down and do a full cleaning with a rod. For me they come in very handy for the range.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Vegemite, yes or no?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the pro side:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the con side:

Only you can decide
There IS no "pro" side to either Vegemite or Marmite. None. Honest. Blech!!

Old 07-30-2017, 03:42 PM
snipes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tend to fall into the yes category, but for 17HMR specifically my answer is no. Lots of issues (apparently present company excluded) with trying to get that sucker through the bore. I have snakes in several calibers and this one is the only one that I thought, wow I'm going to break this sucker off.
I returned it and switched to the Otis system. Works like a charm and now my snakes are relegated to the range bags.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Vegemite, yes or no?
On the pro side:

On the con side:

Only you can decide
You know it only tastes like dog butt if you use too much, typically americans spread it like they would peanut butter, it only needs a tiny amount, more of a streaky appearance on top of the butter.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:03 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpaker View Post
You know it only tastes like dog butt if you use too much, typically americans spread it like they would peanut butter, it only needs a tiny amount, more of a streaky appearance on top of the butter.
I like Vegemite Ratpaker and I have a whole drawer full of bore snakes. Used in moderation they're both wonderful inventions.

Others disagree, just leaves more for you and me

Frank
Old 07-30-2017, 06:14 PM
Rider357

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have used them in a pinch in several calibers but prefer the Otis set up at the range. Nothing beats a good rod, brush, patch cleaning at home.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 PM
turable.shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes.