Smallbore Rifle Equipment/Competitions - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 PM
donovan106

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thank you. I've been exchanging emails with the junior smallbore coach at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club and they meet every other Saturday each month. Just trying to get some beginner information from him as well.

The Desert Sharpshooters club seems to have a decent website with information that can be found easily. They may have to be the route I go if not local matches held by the local clubs.

I think I have settled on a CZ .22 at least until I improve my skills to warrant having another rifle.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:11 AM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan106 View Post
Thank you. I've been exchanging emails with the junior smallbore coach at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club and they meet every other Saturday each month. Just trying to get some beginner information from him as well.

The Desert Sharpshooters club seems to have a decent website with information that can be found easily. They may have to be the route I go if not local matches held by the local clubs.

I think I have settled on a CZ .22 at least until I improve my skills to warrant having another rifle.
I hear some CZs shoot well.

If you use a light weight rifle like a CZ in position shooting using a sling for support, bear in mind moderate to heavy sling tension is likely to cause a shift in point of impact. Shifted as opposed to a zero established from a rest or for offhand shooting.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:00 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Additional CZ information

Here is a link to CZ specific target shooting thread:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=551632

There are many other similar threads as well if you search.

Purchasing a CZ is never a mistake. You will have a rifle that you will be proud to own for your entire life. My 452FS still gets used several times a year, even though my true target rifles get much more use. My CZ in no danger of being sold.

If I had to travel down my particular path again to prone, 3P/4P, I would probably look hard at the 455 Ultra Lux. The new Ultra Lux has a beefier forend that should be less likely to flex under sling tension. The flex and pulling the sling swivel stud out of the wood concerned me with my full stock's narrow forend, so I never put as much pressure on the sling as I now do with my target rifles. Not a criticism of the fullstock, but an awareness. Also, the 455 allows you to easily change barrels if you want a different profile.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM
donovan106

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I decided to go with the CZ 452 Ultra Lux. Now I need to decide what kind of peep sights to use. I know many recommend the Denny sights, but I don't know how long it will be until he replies to me. I've been researching sights but it's difficult to find the exact measurements of each sight. I have seen people mount a variety of aperture sights from Williams, Gehman, Lyman and some Anschutz. I think my main concern is that the bolt will clear the sight?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sights

I have the Williams FP-TK (target knobs) on my 452fs. The sight works well enough and the bolt clears the sight, but the windage knob sticks out far enough from the sight that I cannot open and close the bolt rapidly without my hand snagging that windage knob. I have thought about removing the windage target knob and replacing it with the normal adjustment screw from Williams, but have not yet done so. I think you would run into the same problem on the 455.

I plan on changing to a Tech-sights rear on this rifle if I decide to go to an Appleseed or CMP rimfire sporter event with it, where there are rapid-fire stages. I have a Tech-sights front blade and blade guard and like them on this rifle.

You may wish to go another route. Folks with the Brno sights from Denny seem happy. Several competitors in CMP rimfire sporter are using the original sights that came with the rifle. You could start with those.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:59 PM
dangerranger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I shoot the RFC offhand match, using a $40 Marlin 25 rifle and a Bushnell banner scope.[ well below your price range.] It had quite a learning curve, But I have found my self in the top three a couple of times! I still think I can improve much more!

I think you will do fine with the CZ. It has a better trigger than the Marlin, and there are good upgrade's available.

If you live near the Ben Avery Center you could also shoot Silhouettes there with the same setup and be very competitive. NRA keeps those records. And the skills are very similar. With silhouettes they shoot heavy and light [or Hunter class]. the CZ with a sporter weight barrel will fit in the light or hunter class.

If I wanted to also shoot a sport that used Iron Sights, Id opt for a gun with a longer barrel to get the extended sight range. Good Luck DR