Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:38 AM
fieldsj66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Good Evening - I'd like to begin competing in CMP Rimfire Sporter matches and have a question about a rifle I'm considering. Would a stock Ruger 10/22 LVT with a good scope be accurate enough to be competitive or would it have to be modified, e.g., trigger and barrel work? I'd appreciate comments from those who have shot or are shooting a 10/22. Thanks, Tom
TomJ if you're still following this thread.....

I shot my 10/22 LVT in our last CMP locally. i have the black receiver with the stainless barrell. It weighs in at 6.3lbs. with warne rings and a nikon 3-9x40 EFR mine is at 7.5lbs. The trigger in mine could be better; a little distracting. Sling swivels are for one inch slings; not for 1.25" like i took the last time. a sling makes a good bit of difference in position shooting. I shot the first round without sling, and then shot the second round with another gun with a sling. The autoloading aspect will be quite fine for your purposes. A little home cleaning and tweaking and the rest will be up to your practicing with a timer(another necessity).
Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 AM
TomJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I'm still following this thread. The information has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone. Tom
Old 11-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical View Post
I don't think there is any restriction to semiautos in Tactical class. Rule 2.5 says rifles may have any type action.
... but on the other hand, the "Guide to Rimfire Sporter Shooting" specifically states that only those resembling the A4 or AR15 may be used. Now many of the so-called "Tactical Rifles in .22LR" on todays' market do NOT resemble either of these two rifles ... many are based upon units from elsewhere in the world.

If this were a true Tactical Class, then maybe we should allow Henry H001T Frontiers or '94 Marlins in as representative of the original Henry's used in the Civil War ... or Ruger 10/22's and Marlin 795's concealed in EABCO, or other stocks, with Tech sights, as copies of the popular WW2 M.1 Carbine. How about putting a CZ UltraLux in a CZ Mannlicher stock - adding an upper wooden 'hand rail' and a set of Tech sights ... it would be a perfect replica of a Remington-made British Enfield P.14 of WW1 vintage.

Just the thoughts of a senile old fellow - lol !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I feel the same way sir Kirby
Old 05-29-2015, 08:16 PM
avagadro
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Opalewski View Post
I see no reason for a rule like this. A shooter who is spending more time worrying about the latest and greatest "thingamajig" they can put on their rifles while still not breaking the rules is never going to shoot well. Any factory sporter rifle (barring any major flaws) will hold the ten ring easily. The gun will easily outshoot the shooter. This match is about learning how to be a better position shooter, not how to make the gun shoot for you. You can't hit your target if you are focusing more on your equipment than what you are aiming at.

I shoot a 100% factory stock CZ-452. Up until this year, I never used a sling. If I had a dollar for every time I was told it isn't accurate because I haven't upgraded the trigger, bedded the action, improved the sights, etc., I'd be a very rich man. The only modification that has been done to my rifle is an equipment check sticker on the stock from my 4-H days. I've always shot very well with it. On the days that I don't it is me failing the gun, not the gun failing me.

The individuals who are trying to turn this match into an equipment race are one of the reasons I'm losing interest in this match. Please stop trying to turn this match into something it isn't. The Rimfire Sporter match is and always will be about the skill of the shooter.

Charlie
I agree .... A 1.7" 10-ring at 50 yards is achievable by all but the worst shooting rimfires.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:22 AM
NuJudge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a 1.7" 10 ring group at 50 yards wold be possible by most open sight bolt action .22 rifles using most relatively cheap standard velocity ammo. My experience with a out-of-the-box semi-auto 10/22 with open sights is that it is possible, but only with the careful lot selection of (very expensive) ammo for high enough speed to operate the action, yet still be accurate enough for the group size. The sights were a particular challenge, in that the only way I could get it to shoot that well was to blacken the bronze front bead sight, and zero the rear sight very carefully the night before, using jeweler's screwdrivers to adjust it.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Gigione

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Limey View Post
... but on the other hand, the "Guide to Rimfire Sporter Shooting" specifically states that only those resembling the A4 or AR15 may be used. Now many of the so-called "Tactical Rifles in .22LR" on todays' market do NOT resemble either of these two rifles ... many are based upon units from elsewhere in the world.
Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Does my tactical rimfire(tapco intrafuse) qualify?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:38 PM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Opalewski View Post
I see no reason for a rule like this. A shooter who is spending more time worrying about the latest and greatest "thingamajig" they can put on their rifles while still not breaking the rules is never going to shoot well. Any factory sporter rifle (barring any major flaws) will hold the ten ring easily. The gun will easily outshoot the shooter. This match is about learning how to be a better position shooter, not how to make the gun shoot for you. You can't hit your target if you are focusing more on your equipment than what you are aiming at.

I shoot a 100% factory stock CZ-452. Up until this year, I never used a sling. If I had a dollar for every time I was told it isn't accurate because I haven't upgraded the trigger, bedded the action, improved the sights, etc., I'd be a very rich man. The only modification that has been done to my rifle is an equipment check sticker on the stock from my 4-H days. I've always shot very well with it. On the days that I don't it is me failing the gun, not the gun failing me.

The individuals who are trying to turn this match into an equipment race are one of the reasons I'm losing interest in this match. Please stop trying to turn this match into something it isn't. The Rimfire Sporter match is and always will be about the skill of the shooter.

Charlie
I agree with Charlie.

I shoot a Tactical Rifle at Eastern Games, Western Games, and Camp Perry. A good shooter with an average rifle will whip a lousy shooter with every Do-Dad known to mankind. Too many shooters think they can "buy performance". When they start handing out the awards, plaques, and medals it's the folks that are willing to put in the time to practice, work on their shooting positions/technique that win. Charlie is living proof of this.....I've never seen anyone win because of hardware choices.

As long as a competitor plays within the rules how can you hold it against someone who decides to do a trigger job or shoot better ammo, etc.? If you have an issue with that take it up with the CMP Rules committee.

I used to shoot 18.00 a box Lapua ammo at the big matches. It's just not necessary. I shot a 596-37x at the 'Eastern Games this year with 4.00 a box Norma Tac-22. It doesn't take expensive rifles/scopes/ammo to score well. It DOES take practice and being open minded to learn from more experienced shooters.

Also noticed that some shooters seem confused when their rifle won't run 100%. You look at their rifles and mags and it looks like they have NEVER been cleaned/maintained. Whatever you end up with make sure it runs 100%. If it does fail in a match you can bet it will be in a rapid stage.

My rifle is a 10/22 stuffed in a Nordic Component chassis. I have seen other Tactical versions. Pretty sure they all need to lean toward the AR15 type platform. BTW, at the Games and Nationals.... the CMP will award a rifle to the closest center shot (offhand) in the O-class and T-class divisions. They do NOT do this in Tactical. Oh well, those are the rules and I accept that.

I don't shoot RS much anymore but have put my efforts toward more Garand, Springfield, and XTC matches with a Service Rifle. I am as competitive as anyone here but we ALL need to remember....THIS SPORT IS ABOUT HAVING FUN!!!

Best regards to all,

Keith Schachle

********** EDIT ********
If you want to bump up your game pay attention to what guys like Magical and Ron V. have to say.....

Last edited by wksinatl; 05-30-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: 'mo stuff