Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger flush magazine release

7K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  big_o_tom 
#1 ·
I tried to do a search for this but apparently it's not working on my phone. I need a flush mag release. No one has them new that I can find. Any one have a used one for sale?

#2 ·
For the record I have three rifles with the flush mag release and i have never had an issue with them. I also have a charger that has the extended mag release and I hate it. Every time I use a rest to shoot it drops the mag. Not very handy when your hunting and use a tree limb for a rest and your magazine falls out.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a several newish ones and several that are dinged/scratched... PM me if interested. Got them in black or silver.. or I can POLISH one for you/glossy;) Or I bling them as well...

#6 ·
The Volquartsen model of mag release is nice and fits really tight--no play and is actually even better than a KIDD.

I use Tactical Innovations' paddle design though for the color.

They are a loose fit but I have inserted a small O-ring between it and the mag release plate--they are now tight with no play :t..

#9 ·
It's ironic that when the flush release was the OEM standard, there was a huge demand for aftermarket extended releases and numerous designs were offered and sold. Still are.

Now I occasionally see someone like the OP trying to find one of the original flush releases. Funny.

BTW, the Tactical Innovations release that wraps around the trigger guard should avoid the inadvertent release problem since it won't catch on a rest.

#10 ·
The wrap around the trigger guard releases are easily my favorite. Thought they were goofy years ago. Realized I was just stupid back then. Just a flick of the finger from the trigger hand to release. As for inadvertently releasing a mag, well thats not an issue for me on any style of release. Only time I've ever done it in 20yrs was if my brain crosswired and I hit the mag release instead of the safety.

#13 ·
Really the flush release was the better release but Ruger decided to copy the aftermarket crowd and I hate it. On the Ruger Americans, I've dumped mags too. They are not the best for knock about use like the flush release. I have some extended volquartzen releases on a couple of 10/22s. They have the best shape but they are not my choice for hunting. For competition fine, but for hunting they are more trouble than they are worth.

#17 ·
Many have done just that.. and do leave just a 1/8" to 1/4" nub for a little help finding it.. bench grinder or a Dremel makes quik work of it.. then a finish sanding or a file and hit the ruff fuzzies with a lighter.. smooths it right out.:bthumb:

#25 · (Edited)
#20 ·
I needed a tactile find for my old flush one so I drilled a hole and SuperGlued in a re-purposed small rivet with a domed head (I save bits and bobs when I tear stuff apart to recycle).

#24 ·
Well that is the problem to some. It is plastic. I love the flush mag releases but I personally hate plastic. Grinding a plastic one is obviously super easy but to some old grouches, "it was better back in my day when things were all metal and wood".... I was brought up that way and it is a mentality I don't think I can break. Stubborn isn't always a good quality but it is what it is.

#27 ·
I could not agree more. Last year I got a couple of little Sig Micro 1911 type handguns. They had plastic triggers with rather sharp grooves in the trigger face. Rather than grind and polish them off, I had the replaced with a metal trigger. The only things I have with plastic are some AR15 types, and one Ruger 19-22 with a folding stock.

#28 ·
This was going to be my next option if I couldn't find a flush one. But, if you've never grinded one down you don't know for sure if its solid or hollow. I have learned over the years to be patient and study up on something before I start hacking away at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.