Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:28 PM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation 1950 Ruger Standard-Collectible?

Deeper down the "Ruger Hole"...From the latest & greatest (MkIV Hunter), now close to the beginning (SN-3560 out of 4 million)...added a Ruger 1950 Red Eagle RST-4 Standard!!

Attached pics are of my newest acquisition, a Ruger Red Eagle Standard SN-3560 - Estimated Mnf. Date-early February 1950! After my thorough take down inspection and review, have found this Standard is in Great shape...believe it would rate as a NRA "Excellent" status, with 99% perfect bluing and a basically "new" look (inside and out), including an original Red Eagle grip emblem. Rifling is superb and overall, appears to have been fired very little over the past 70 years. However without the Original Box, Owners Manual and Sales Invoice, getting a collection importance and value has been a nightmare!

Have been trying all week to establish it's collect-ability and value. As is, supposedly it is a collectible, but still gathering data from Ruger and long established private groups, like the ROCS (Ruger Owners & Collectors Society) and RCA (Ruger Collectors Association). Unfortunately, seems the 1st nine months of the Standard production (Oct 49' - June 50'), Ruger's accounting day books were very unorganized and not very reliable for consistent and accurate data. The Senior Tech at Ruger has confirmed that my action component findings are all correct original period designs! However, if I had all of the original accessories and paperwork (box-owners manual-sales invoice) that went with it's early 1950 manufacturing date, it "possibly" could be worth 10X to 20X more value (as per collectors with very large early production Ruger Standard Pistol investments)!!

Oh well, still this will probably be my first safe queen to pass on to my sons!! Any membership assistance, comments, suggestions or knowledge for acquiring authentic documentation would be greatly appreciated!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard.jpg (327.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-6.jpg (304.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-9.jpg (312.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-10.jpg (330.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-18.JPG (179.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Theo98; 02-21-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 PM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice, that's quite a collectible. You can instantly id one of the very early Rugers by the rear sight and the square cut ejection port.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have a rare Ruger.
Yours I think is in the 4th picture on the right in the link.
I have one from the 5th picture on the left.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Tulsa2004_4.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Ruger Red Eagle "Types"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem33 View Post
You have a rare Ruger.
Yours I think is in the 4th picture on the right in the link.
I have one from the 5th picture on the left.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Tulsa2004_4.htm
Thanks to all for the kind comments and support, especially to rem33 for the very educational and detailed gun show participant, Bob Belknap's Ruger Red Eagle Display at the 2004 RCA Show in Tulsa!

I've been reading about the Ruger Collectors "Type" ratings for Red Eagles, but was never able to get my hands on what it was or how it came about. Now, I have much better clarity of the Ruger Standard collection jargon and decided to get-in-writing what I Think I understand into a .jpeg document!

I've attached the data for anyone's use, compliments to the years of hard work, frustrations and ultimate success I'm confident that Bob (and many other collectors) went through to put this final work on display!! Any errors or juicy details that need correction or addition, please let me know...I'll update the page then re-post!

FWIW, Rem33 is right...my new Red Eagle edition is a Type 2

Thanks,

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Red Eagle Standard Types.jpg (248.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-11.jpg (318.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-7.jpg (171.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-8.jpg (206.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger 1950 Red Eagle Standard-19.JPG (457.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Theo98; 02-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:06 PM
Garnerac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S#0071 with box drew $4000 last week on GB. Thats a beauty. I would hope it would bring a K or so
Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnerac View Post
S#0071 with box drew $4000 last week on GB. Thats a beauty. I would hope it would bring a K or so
GNA,

That's great! I'm still looking to procure a Ruger Original 1950 period Box and Owners Manual...so far they're just not out there in the market place...

Anyone see/find one, PLEASE let me know!!

Ted
Old 02-22-2020, 12:03 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Theo98 - Wow, that is in great condition!! I found a 1950 model a couple years ago, higher serial # than yours, also without box or papers, but mine shows much more wear than yours, especially around the takedown lever area. Yours looks immaculate. Congrats.

Can't help with gathering documentation or establishing collector value. Any Ruger pistol that old in that condition would seem to me to be automatically collectible, even without extras. You going to shoot it?

Rem33 - Thanks for posting that link. I've never seen all the early versions before. Turns out mine is a Type 7.

Last edited by cabin22; 02-22-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:02 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are nice. I dont believe I have seen one quite so minty. I would not obsess to much over the value. Things change both up and down over time. That will be an heirloom not a flip. I would be interested too. I am saying it is kind of a moving target and depends who is wanting at the time. I dont expect a box is 20x. Could be, probably 2x, dont know. It all seems a bit silly to me. I love the old stuff and I play by my own rules.

The gun is not worth less becasue the box is missing. It would be worth extra if you had the box and assorted bits of paper. 1950 is a log time ago and saving paper was not a priority for most. I have a few gun purchased 20 years later and I did not save the boxes. There was no reason to save boxes. So; since it was pretty unusual to pack rat boxes that is rare. IMHO, it does not make the gun any nicer to have a bit of cardboard. I much rather have 2 guns without cheap junk box than one with.

A person has to be careful storing guns in cardboard boxes. They can wick moisture and cause rust spots. I have a 44 flattop with a little pit on the end of the barrel where it contacted the box. You got to me extra careful with boxes. Tiny belmish hurts value too. Small consolation - I got a box. I guess that will make someone happy down the road. Does not matter dollar wise, there is always something. I do like the gun very much and can enjoy shooting it, no worry. No white gloves for me. None of these are colt's 1873 serial 1.

Last edited by fourbore; 02-22-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Even without the original box, I would keep it as a safe queen.
They are only going to get harder to find.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a beauty Ted!!!

I'm glad it found a home with someone that cares about it's historical value. That's way more important than it's monetary value IMO.