Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
JameyF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

"terrier...the other pink meat"
Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Coyote
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote
What I found to work very well is the stuff that fisherman use to get rid of the fish smell on your hands . My pooch - and I walked around the shop about 9 PM and ran head on - maybe not head on - into a black and white. We both got it big time. Went to the boat - grab that fish remove smell stuff and we both got into the shower. It worked great. Still am not sure what the wife did with my cloths??
Old 06-03-2004, 04:39 PM
VladViscious

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote
What I found to work very well is the stuff that fisherman use to get rid of the fish smell on your hands . My pooch - and I walked around the shop about 9 PM and ran head on - maybe not head on - into a black and white. We both got it big time. Went to the boat - grab that fish remove smell stuff and we both got into the shower. It worked great. Still am not sure what the wife did with my cloths??

If it is possible for you to come up witht he name of the fish smell remover stuf i woudl be greatly interested, for Fish, Skunk and the more common week of my hands smelling of onions.

VV
Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 PM
jimjimwolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

If you shoot them in the head (brain) they wont spray

Jim

Old 07-02-2004, 06:51 PM
mike249

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
close encounter of the smelly kind!!

Walked around the corner of the house last night in the dark, and almost stepped right on the darn cat, stumbled a little (just had ankle surgery last week) and almost stepped on the %%%% thing again!! So I was going to make a little kick at the cat, when I noticed the sound of little toe nails on the sidewalk?? I shouldn't be able to hear my cats nails!!! TOO LATE!!!!
I had actually almost stepped on Pepe!! and he shot me at point blank range!!
Needless to say, I was not happy........ The smell is ALOT stronger when it is sprayed all over you!! almost couldn't even get a breath, I had to keep walking to get fresh air. But I was lucky, it sprayed my Jacket, pants, socks, and my favorite fuzzy slippers!! Didn't get any skin exposure... I think that I was so close when it sprayed, that it couldn't reach my face.. Paybacks are gonna be a B****!!!
Time for the 22 skadoo!! Sit over a couple of pieces of chicken, with my Marlin model 60, and 1 CB long. Shouldn't take too long, And then Doctor Mike will give that little stripped smelly cat a RAPID LEAD INJECTION!! wich will cause death by lead poisoning

I should have known better than to post on here, earlier this month. I put the moojoo on myself.

I hate skunks!

Last edited by mike249; 07-02-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:18 PM
JohnK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
skunk tales

My brothers house next to me underwent a bunch of terracing, and changing of ground levels.

Several trees at ground level found themselves two, or more feet below ground level. He built brick circular five foot wide sunken things to keep the tree at the more or less original level. We hoped these grand trees would survive this way.

Well, one morning, I got a call, Mr skunk had fallen into one of the three foot depressions, and could not get out.

We thought about this problem a LOT. Shoot the %%%% thing ? SMELL, or worse. Many ideas floated around.

Well, I got a six foot piece of 2X6, walked up to the hole, looked in. The skunk looked at me, no distress. I talked to him for awhile, seemed calm. Put the 2X6 at an angle down in the hole, and that sucker spent a couple of minutes inspecting the thingy, looked at me a lot, quite calm, then climbed the incline.

When he got out, he walked calmly up to my trembling legs, smelled me, then casually sauntered off.

No joke.

I have already posted about my "treed groundhog". Life is fun.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:53 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Must be Karma...
Old 07-03-2004, 09:47 PM
backtrack2pb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody know how smart skunks are? I mean, parrarie dogs = sheer idiocy, skunks =......??
Old 07-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Dewitt60

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tails

My Dad told me once that if you pick one up by the tail he can't spray. Something about his feet need to be on the ground. Has anybody heard that? I'm sure not going to try it! I do know that if you kill them quick enough they don't stink.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:49 AM
mh454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My grandpa used to tell me stories of when he was younger him and his dad used to go under houses and bring out an entire family of skunks to harvest their fur. I guess it was worth quite a bit at the time and money was money.

About the best method I've seen work for taking out a skunk that hangs around is a regular chicken egg injected with strychnine. Of course getting a hold of strychnine these days probably is a bit tougher but it works very well (I guess skunks love eggs and they shouldn't spray since the poison kills them pretty quick).
Old 07-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Wolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh454

About the best method I've seen work for taking out a skunk that hangs around is a regular chicken egg injected with strychnine. Of course getting a hold of strychnine these days probably is a bit tougher but it works very well (I guess skunks love eggs and they shouldn't spray since the poison kills them pretty quick).
The BIG problem with poisoning is that it is indiscriminate. Strychnine is a very potent poison that causes a painful and not necessarily rapid death. I wouldn't count on a skunk not spraying as the first effects of strychnine poisoning are anxiety and hyperactivity and end in convulsions and respiratory arrest.

Perhaps you would like to read a little about the use of strychnine. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...7278--,00.html

Don't end up killing your own or someone else's dog, or other non-target species.

Hurray For Indy
Old 07-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Wolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewitt60
My Dad told me once that if you pick one up by the tail he can't spray. Something about his feet need to be on the ground. Has anybody heard that? I'm sure not going to try it! I do know that if you kill them quick enough they don't stink.
A lot has to do with your approach. This method can be successful, but you have to be absolutely fearless and fast

The trouble is it isn't 100% foolproof, and the times that it fails put you in direct line for a big stink. Better plan on spending the night in the garage

Hurray For Indy
Old 07-05-2004, 02:23 PM
YZrider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Head shot no gaurantee

Ambushed mother skunk and babies the other day,that had been living under an out-building.Took mother first,right between the ears(.22lr yellowjacket),took top of her head off,still sprayed.Proceeded to eliminate the 7 youngsters one by one as they stayed near her body. Some sprayed, some did not,did not care one way or another as they had been an on going problem,and I was happy to send them on their way.Papa is a little wiser ,but I will send him on too.Hosed down the area and the Texas sun took care of the rest of the smell.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:19 PM
CZIntheXring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewitt60
I shot one last week at 1:30am. Solid hit in the head at 20 yards with a CCI .22 shp. Tell the skunk that hes not suposed to stink after hes dead. The smell woke everybody up. Not fun draging him into the woods.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:03 PM
WPWarhawk
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to WPWarhawk
Back when I lived in Kansas I was a state licensed nusiance wildlife trapper.

We would occasionally get a skunk in a live trap. If you put a tarp over teh rap the skunk won't spray. I would haul the skunk out in the country, then shoot it thru the heart with a .22. 99% of the time they don't spray.