Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lyman BoreCam and Endoscopes

I am or was about to click on buy-it-now for a $207 Lyman Bore scope and then did an ebay search and found these endocsopes from china $10-15 each. Then I found a Lyman $25 rebate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-2M-5M-7mm...3D152319699575

There is also a $25 Lyman rebate. I am not sure how that rebate works with an ebay sale. I can also order from Optics planet with my 10% coupon and get a good reciept and even print out the rebate form. So, if anyone wants a Lyman, now seems like a good time. Well unless you think the Lyman is basically just $15 in Chinese parts with a little monitor thrown in?

That is my post, great deal Lyman or will $15 scope get the job done. If you read all the pages on the endoscope you will see a 90 degree attachment for some. I did send an email and asked. I dont the sellers speak good enough English to understand my concerns with fitting the bore or close focus. Search ebay for endoscope. There are quite a few low cost Chinese listings.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
With a optical head diameter of 7mm, that would make this only a 308 style scope. And the flexible cord on the back makes repeatability poor at best.

I have used a Lyman bore scope before and it does an OK job.

David
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have the Lyman digital bore scope and find it to be a functional useful tool.

I also bought one of those $20 endoscopes from e-Bay and after multiple tries find it to be pretty much an unmitigated useless piece of crap.

YMMV

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoenner
With a optical head diameter of 7mm, that would make this only a 308 style scope. And the flexible cord on the back makes repeatability poor at best.

I have used a Lyman bore scope before and it does an OK job.

David
I found those ebay listing confusing with a lot sizes bandied about. Some were 5mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
I have the Lyman digital bore scope and find it to be a functional useful tool.

I also bought one of those $20 endoscopes from e-Bay and after multiple tries find it to be pretty much an unmitigated useless piece of crap.

YMMV

Frank
Time to place order for a Lyman. Let me see what kind of a deal I can find ...
Old 08-05-2017, 05:31 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the Lyman a couple weeks ago and been playing around. It is a mixed blessing. It will reveal some issues you might wish you never saw. But; as stated, a useful tool.

I recently purchased an Anschutz 54 super match with a very nice Baldor 24x externally adjusted scope. First time out it only delivered 1/2 groups at 50 yards with CCI and RWS. I expect about half that group size. That was as far as i got. One look with the Lyman revealed fairly extensive & deep corrosion in the first 3-5 inches of the bore. I worked it over with bore paste and now I can see the lands. Without the Lyman I might be months into chasing down a long list of suspects and probably never understand what was going on. I wonder if this is why I got what seemed like a great deal. I may end up just keeping the Baldor or posting a question else where on lapping. Bottom line, I know what I have.

I might consider leaving a deposit and return with the Lyman for a closer look before I purchase this sort of used gun again.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:04 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe the Chinese ones are good for a DIY colonoscopy.........cheap enough to throw away....
Old 08-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Maybe the Chinese ones are good for a DIY colonoscopy.........cheap enough to throw away....
Approx. 2% of patients got, get, bacterial infections after colonoscopies with "cleaned" equipment. YMMV