Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 AM
hogship

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
EAA Biathlon Basic ammo test......

I was at the range yesterday and did a test of ten different brands of ammo in my BB at 25 and 50yds. There were two groups of five shots each at each distance. The eight brands of ammo were:

1....WW powerpoint

2.... Remington 525 bulk pack

3....CCI mini-mag

4....Federal American Eagle bulk

5....Federal Gold Medal Target

6....CCI standard velocity

7....CCI Green Tag

8....Wolf Match Target

9....Ely Target Rifle

10...Ely Match EPS

At 25yds, The BB could max the Black Death target with everything, but CCI mini-mag and the Remington Bulk Pack! Pretty amazing, but this says more about the BB than the ammo.

All groups for 50yds were measuring the best 4 of 5 shots because of a mild wind factor, and my "pulling" of several shots. There were a couple of groups with obvious flyers, so to make it more scientific, I eliminated the worst shot of each group. Obviously, you can't do this sort of thing for competition, but it does eliminate the flyers and gives an overall better picture of the true meaning of the test....which gives me a better idea of which ammo to further test.

The results for the 50yd groups are as follows:

1....WW powerpoint........................(15/16", 1/2")

2.... Remington 525 bulk pack...........(N/A)

3....CCI mini-mag...........................(N/A)

4....Federal American Eagle bulk........(13/16", 13/16")

5....Federal Gold Medal Target..........(7/16", 1/4")

6....CCI standard velocity................(5/16", 5/16")

7....CCI Green Tag.........................(7/16", 1/2")

8....Wolf Match Target...................(3/16", 7/16")

9....Ely Target Rifle........................(5/8", 3/8")

10...Ely Match EPS.........................(11/16", 7/16")

Looks to me like I should further test the Fed Gold Medal Target, CCI std vel, and Wolf Match Target. The CCI Green Tag and ELY Target Rifle are other possibilities, but I eliminated those because they're no better than the other three and much more expensive. I was really surprised that both the ELYs and CCI Green Tag didn't do any better than they did, considering their cost......I guess, in my BB's case, it likes moderately priced ammo, and the more expensive ammo isn't better!

What does your BB like?

hog

Old 05-22-2005, 08:17 PM
gpkon66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So far mine has liked the following in order -

eley target

cci standard velocity

wolf target extra

wolf match extra

lots more to check out.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
dipodomys

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine prefers wolf ME and RWS target rifle and Eley EPS but the Eley is much more expensive for no detectible difference in group. I did five five shot groups with each of fifteen target ammos to establish its favorites. I didn't run groups with different lots to see if that made a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 AM
22collector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up BB ammo

I picked up a BB about three months ago and sighted it in at 30 yards for little fuzzy animals. but this last night was supposed to hunt coyotes and took it to the range that afternoon. using mini mags and federal champions. the groupings were as follows.

CCI Mini Mag Hollow Point - $4.77/ 100 rounds (Walmart)

CCI - 30 yds, (3/8" - 5/16") slight lowering of sights due to sighting at 50yds
CCI - 50 yds, (n/a) nuff said
CCI - 100yds, (1/8" - 1/4") had to raise the sights a bit to compensate for 50yds bulls eye

Federal Champion 40 grain solid - $0.98/ 50 rounds (Walmart)

FED - 30yds, (1/2 - 5/8)
FED - 50yds, (1/8 - 1/4)
FED - 100yds, (N/A) think it was luck but this was freakin amazing, i almost peed my pants after this one

I would hesitate to take a 100yd head shot on just about anything and for the cost of the feds I would just use those i bought them because they didnt look too cheap and ill be dog on if they didnt shoot like match ammo. but to hunt I would perfer the CCI.

Good luck and someone let me know if they make replacement stucks that acutally feel good.

22collector
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 AM
woodchuckssuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Send a message via AIM to woodchuckssuck
speaking of biathlon basics...i just got back from shooting mine, as well as my 917v (brother was complaining he couldnt hit a woodchuck...he just cant shoot apparently)

in my BB i find cci blazer ammunition is giving outstanding accuracy, and to be honest i dont see much reason to try anything else. wherever you place the crosshairs, and hold them, the bullet goes. its that simple. 25 yards seems to be my max right now for groups because 9x at 50 yards isnt that easy...need the 14x of my atv scope (waiting for rings). but im getting small groups at 25, one group was right in a .188 ctc 4/5 shots (not sure cant remember how many i put through that hole) but the rest were effected by some jerk shooting a 9mm handgun rapidfire...talk about flinching!! the other groups were right around .3-.4 with one group having a flyer to open to .5 again im not sure which groups were affected by mr. cool 9mm dude. if it had been a .45acp i wouldnt be so ticked. at least thats a real gun no i wouldnt wanna be on the recieving end of either haha.

50 yard groups looked a bit like shotgun pattern i wast taking my time and had too big of a bull (2 inch) so i shot one round into white and used that as a bull...good shootin then! 1/2 inch was about right. but again, 9x scope limited me a little bit at 50 yards. the atv should help me a bit when i get the rings in for it. at the same time i have pmc moderator coming ill try that out (should have ordered a gas mask too hehe)

all in all i really like this Biathlon Basic. if i take up squirrel or rabbit hunting i think it is going to be the gun ill use. i also noticed it engraves every bullet that goes into it with the rifling...thats a pretty tight chamber

*edit: heres a target

Last edited by woodchuckssuck; 08-05-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:43 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ToxicSports
CB's & Shorts...

Have any of you tried the CCI CB Longs? The match chamber gives a nice seat to the tiny little bullets.

I need to shoot them on paper to see how they group but at 25 yards +/- I've killed Blackbirds and Starlings, which is unlike my CZ Varmint that shoots CB's everywhere except where I want to shoot.

--I'd have better luck throwing the bullets at the target than shoot them out of my CZ.

Also, for those who prefer to shoot shorts--who hasn't tried them yet-- you'll need to turn your five or ten round mags into single shots for these little jems to work without problems. The CCI CB's, HVHP and Rem "gold bullet" shorts have all worked for me and shoot tight enough to take out Blackbirds and Starlings, again, around 25 +/- yards.

TS
Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 PM
woodchuckssuck

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
WAIT!!! you say cb longs shoot good out of your biathlon basic? ill try them i need a quiet round to shoot out back with, saves gas to the range haha. plus i can get 500 for 20 bucks from cabelas i think, which means free cuz i have 50 to them. ill get some sometime when im at gander though to see how they are first

i have 500 pmc moderators along with weaver extended rings coming tomorrow
Old 08-09-2005, 04:15 PM
MultimediaMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to MultimediaMan
I picked my BB Thursday last week 08/05: I used Leupold Extra High Aluminum Rings and a Simmons 6.5x20 50mm AO scope for a "getting to know you" session at the range. Range conditions were nearly ideal, but I didn't think to take a chronograph nor did I mount the best scope I have. One thing was certain: It was going to be a good day, just because I was going to the range.

The Stock is...interesting. The floorplate and front action etscutcheons were visibly off the centerline of the stock: everything fits together, but it looks like hell.

No malfunctions or misfires of any kind were encountered. The Action is Fast and positive to actuate. I'm left-handed so I racked the "paddle" with my right hand (actually thumb and forefinger) when firing from the bench. The magazine feeds straight and doesn't chew up ammunition when loading or unloading the magazine. I didn't notice the rifle shaving any lead when feeding rounds through the magazine into the chamber. I took my dad with me: he's a bolt action man through and through. He didn't like the toggle action at all until he used it for the first time, but then the oddest thing happened...he wouldn't stop shooting the rifle. After prying him off of it and convincing him he really ought to shot his Custom .204 Ruger, I got down to business:

RWS .22 Standard (Red Box) = 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 50 yards. This surprised me because my other Rimfires don't seem to like this ammo too much.

RWS Subsonic (Blue Box) = 3/8" to 1/3" (one of the most consistently accurate .22 rounds I have come across, but very expensive)

Baikal Jr. Brass .22 Standard (Yellow Box) = 3/8" to 1/2" groups at 50 yards. This ammo has reputation for having a very "hard" priming compound which is hard to detonate. The BB was completely surefire with this ammunition.

Aguila .22 SSS = Keyholes ~1" groups at 50 yards. Only wasted 15 rounds in that endeavor.

Fiocchi v315 Rifle (Dark Purple Box) = 3/8" to 1/2" Groups at 50 yards (I wish I could get more of this stuff.)

Fiocchi v305 Pistol (Dark Blue Box) = 1/4" to 3/8" Groups at 50 yards (Same: I wish I could get more of this stuff.)

My employer was out of Remington Subsonics, but my experience has been that if the firearm can group with RWS Subsonic and Fiocchi V315, it's going to shoot just fine with the Remingtons.

Last edited by MultimediaMan; 08-09-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
woodchuckssuck,

I was as surprised at the reliable feeding and accuracy as you are hearing the news. I should be a little bit more specific on the shorts though. The CB shorts were the only load that shot a little wide (when compared to the other two short loads) but it was still tight enough to take out those nuisance, crap all over the place, birds. Only thing is a second or third shot would be needed to finish them off when using them.

MultimediaMan,

Quote:
The magazine feeds straight and doesn't chew up ammunition when loading or unloading the magazine. I didn't notice the rifle shaving any lead when feeding rounds through the magazine into the chamber.
The ammo that I have found that gets chewed up are:

1) Remington Yellow Jackets---That "crayon" design doesn't seem to work with the chamber mouth at all for me. I'd imagine the same goes with the Viper

2) Aquila Colibri and Super Colibri.

Not even single loading the mags with either of these helped me. If any of you have had better luck with these two loads let me know and I'll get back to the research.

TS
Old 08-09-2005, 11:26 PM
woodchuckssuck

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
its ok, i dont shoot reminton ammo. i have some subsonics but their ammo is dirty, innacurrate, and has lots of problems. federal, cci, winchester, PMC all do great in my books. mostly cci and pmc lately. i have a brick of moderators now...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CB Longs

Ok gang,

Here are a couple of pics that Biathlon Basic produced with 5 CB Longs @ 25yds.

I took aim at the center of the target and the tiny lead projectiles impacted 2.5 - 3 mildots low but tight enough to take out those stinkin' birds and other pests.

TS

CB Long @ 25 yds

CB Long Closeup