Ruger Mark IV ...Really a great pistol!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:39 PM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Mark IV ...Really a great pistol!!

I have a blued version of the Target that I bought this past year. The craftsman ship is beautiful! It is a pleasure to shoot, the safety works with no issues, and I cannot get it to "malfunction" . I did sign up for the recall, and will send it in just so Ruger can have it marked of their list as done, and down the road when one of my sons inherits this fine pistol Thur will not have a concern since it will not longer have a recall on it. I am a Ruger fan, and have been since getting my first 10/22 as a gift from my Dad what seems a lifetime ago.

I applaud Ruger for going through the hit, both cost and PR for the recall. They have a lifetime customer and fan in me. As someone great once said "Carry on men"....to the good people at Ruger....for carrying on a history of great firearms design and manufacturing. 👍
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really enjoy shooting my Competition also! I think it is great looking, I love the heft, it points so easily, in fact, the only problem is that I am at that age when I have to make a choice; wear my reading glasses and see the front sight or take the glasses off and see the target. To my delight, however, I found that a good reflex sight solves that problem. Without my glasses, I see a nice, crisp, dot over the focused target. The dovetail mount arrives tomorrow and I'll get it sighted in this weekend.

Now if I could just find a good solution for my shakeyhand...
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
biged57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Amen on the shaky hands and eyes doc subscribed me primidon for the shaky hands said it was intention trimmers but ant much they can do for these old eyes lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenatBMS View Post
Ruger Mark IV ...Really a great pistol!!
I agree.

Folks can rave about the ease of take down if they want but there are other improvements as well that stack up to make it a great pistol. I like that the buttons were replaced with levers. I like the ambi safety. I like the mag ejector. I like the replaceable grip panels on my 22/45 version. It is much more than the take down that makes it what it is.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biged57 View Post
Amen on the shaky hands and eyes doc subscribed me primidon for the shaky hands said it was intention trimmers but ant much they can do for these old eyes lol
I'm a primidon user and it does help. I found that continuing to take the folic acid that I first used to control them makes it more effective.

I agree that the MK IV is a fine pistol and the Volquartson tune up kit brings out the best in it. A red dot sight has allowed me to get much more of it's ptential out of it.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking much praise for the MKIV

stainless target. mine is a recall gun, made in 2016, WBR serial number. I am not upset over the recall as some people are, things happen and ruger is making it painless to get the "defect" corrected. I would have not bought a 3rd magazine but a free one is outstanding. my pistol has run 100% PERFECT out of the box, and accurate with a millett rd6 red dot sight installed. all the improvements in the controls are awesome, I am a lefty so the ambi safety is a bonus for me. MY FAVORITE improvement is the spring loaded mag ejection, aint it KOOL!!! no more pulling the mag free of the mag well!! YEA RUGER, way to go. of course, the takedown is just flat out spectacular. the pistol is good looking (pay attention S&W), I love the satin stainless finish. plastic grips not bad, but I enjoy the finger groove large target grips. I also have and like the flat panel grips but I wish they had done 100% checkering.i think this is about the most pleased I have been with a new gun purchase in over 50 years. I have probably owned 40 various rugers in my shooting career, this is tops as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
My experience with the Ruger Mark pistols is quite extensive and goes back quite a while. I can not ever recall a Ruger Mark pistol that needed any real serious repair.

I've had several of the Ruger Mark IV guns in my shop, and except for a few minor issues, like magazines dropping during the firing sequence, of which I found a simple repair, all of those I had in ran great. Absolutely no issues with any of the safeties as long as the manual was followed.
I tried to get another one, but, due to the recall, all are on hold. Glad to read you are having exceptional service from yours.
I certainly don't have the same breadth of experience you do but I have also owned and shot Ruger .22 semi-autos back to the original MkI (yes, the target version of the Standard auto), a couple of MkII 22/45's and now a stainless Target MkIV. All have been reliable and never needed any attention except routine cleaning. My MkIV, with the VQ kit, even passes the partial-safety test successfully.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:01 PM
MuttX7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will willingly jump on this bandwagon. I thought about it for a week before I bought my blued Mk IV Target as I wasn't sure I really wanted it and was afraid of getting a finicky gun. The only issues I have had were some small ammo issues and other than that, my Target has ran great ( knock on wood). I love shooting this gun and I know it is way more accurate than I am. So far I have had no problems with it other than it being one of the recall guns. Despite the recall, I cannot get mine to act in the way they are being recalled for. I am sending mine in, if only go get a free magazine.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the MK I,II,III and IV. They are all nice guns.

I have a last year, Mk I Target. It has a nice trigger, tapered barrel with a good balance. Over all, I was surprised at how good a pistol this was. Ruger should offer this configuration today.

My Mk II is a Govt Target with special chamber and trigger. I get a occasional very lucky 3/8" 5 shot groups at 25 yards. Iron sights, it really is luck for me. It also would be great if Ruger offered this type of gun again. I am sure it would be appreciated by those who are afraid to buy used. Take down is easy enough. For frequent cleaning, just drop the main spring housing and pull the bolt. This is my best MK pistol. No doubt. I see more II's in my future.

I consider the Mk III was the beginning of the NEW ruger marks. These are guns that require modification to meet my needs. Prior to this, the pistols were good to go, right out of the box. The list is LCI remove, Mag Disco remove and trigger job. The plus side these are drilled and taped for scope mounts. That translates to 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards all day long and deadly effective on small critters.

Now the Mk IV. Easy take down. Fun take down, even. No more lci. The same need for upgrades for me to be able to enjoy shooting. The finish was downgraded to matt and appears I will not be able to maintain the stainless finish as I can with the Mk III.

I like them all.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM
MuttX7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Fortunately, I do believe you, and I ( also have a GREAT running Mark IV ) are in the majority of Ruger Mark IV owners. If I need another magazine though, for my personal use, I'd rather pull one from stock than send a perfectly running pistol in for inspection.
These forums seem to be a "magnet" for those who choose to vent every "petty" complaint that they have about the Rugers they own, and expect immediate, personal attention, that will have an instant solution, just because they show up and demand it. Poor kids.
You can find some limited, but valuable "fixit" information here on RFC, but much more "civility" on a few other sites that deal with rimfire, if you look.
And, if you like humor, you can occasionally find a "really goofy" modification, here on RFC, that will have you laughing your heinnie off.
The extra magazine will be nice but while it is gone, it will force me to shoot one of my other guns which (except for my EDC gun) are being safe queens. This is mainly due to how cheap it is to shoot the Target as well as just how much darn fun it is to shoot.
I joined for the same reasons I have joined other forums. You find great info on them and usually if you have an issue with your gun, car, phone, etc there is someone knowledgeable on the forum who can help you solve the issue or tell you to have a professional like yourself fix it. The first forum I joined was actually a paintball forum and for the above reasons. Most forums are the same with always having some people expecting personal service either from the manufacturer, from forum moderators, from vendors, etc. When I was a moderator on the paintball forum, we kept an "Asshats to watch" list of people who could not be civil but had yet to cross the line so we could ban them.
The best thing about the forums is the sharing of info, news, and sometimes watching people argue is just extra entertainment on a boring day.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great gun.......yeah, right.

I guess my TWO 22/45 Lites were made on a Friday by employees who had mentally left for the weekend.

I'll send them back for the second time.......wonder why they didn't fix the safety problem the first time I sent them back because they jammed constantly?

Maybe more checked out employees?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:48 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Waiting for the box but just had to take my MkIV to the range. So much fun! I'm glad the ammo is now much easier to find because I'm already almost finished with my fourth brick. I want to shoot CCI MM indoors because they are plated round nose and out my Competition are still subsonic. I haven't been able to get them locally but my Mk IV handles all the other plated round nose with ease.

I learned to shoot a pistol with my Dad's Colt Woodsman target special. It was stolen in a home invasion robbery of my parents and never recovered unlike most of the other guns. My Mk IV Competition sort of reminds me of the Colt and brings back many great memories. Oh, and it is just a hoot to shoot!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 2 mkiv pistols. The Target has ran flawlessly out of the box. The Hunter jammed a lot and received a new bolt assembly from Ruger. It was returned the 2nd time for a loose Ejector. It runs great now and I hate to send it back for recal. I like the mkiv pistols. Ruger did a great job designing them. On any new design, you with have a few teathing problems.