Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Z400ACDC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MKIV Hunter going home for a check up!

I bought my MKIV Hunter Friday. Over the weekend, I put about 500 rounds through it with a variety of ammo. Some ran a bit better than others but all would jam. Most of the time, the new round would be half in the chamber while the spent case would be on top of the new round. I tried a new VQ extractor. After 2 mags it jammed again. I called Ruger and it it be shipped in the morning. I really like the mkiv and hope they can make it as dependable as my mkii and three.

Last edited by Z400ACDC; 04-27-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I HOPE to get my two MKIV Lites that went back to Ruger out to the range tomorrow.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

It appears the MKIVs have had some serious reliability problems.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
My then MKIV Hunter did not have any feeding/ejecting problems even with bucket 'o' turd ammo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
My then MKIV Hunter did not have any feeding/ejecting problems even with bucket 'o' turd ammo...
My mkiv Target has ran well. I guess my Huntervmust have been made on Friday!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
jnichols2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My MKIV had a stovepipe on it's firts magazine. It has ran just fine ever since.

It took 600 rounds and a lot of hammer re-shaping to get my Walther P22 running right.

Both are GTG now.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally got to the range today......weather has been crappy.

Two Bronze MKIV Lites back from Ruger and back from the gunsmith after trigger jobs.

Gunsmith sent them to Ruger as neither would work reliably.

I installed a Vortex Venom on one and had the 'smith put a white outline insert and red front on the other.

Eighth round of first magazine on the first one I tried failed to feed right and got caught up in bolt and mangled a bit.

But......the total outcome was........ 299 rounds of CCI (both 40 grain solid and 36 grain hollowpoint) worked perfect.

Venom was easy to sight in........now that's a wonderful red dot sight.

Sights on the other were a bit off. POI had to be raised. I did my usual dance of turning screws the wrong way, etc. but finally got it perfect. Rear is raised a lot due to height of new front sight and is not as tight as I'd like it, but it shoots great.

May end up getting another Venom.

So........Ruger got these two all straightened out, it appears.

I really like them a lot.

I just might get another.......maybe the tactical.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Holoholo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk IV Hunter

Brand new yesterday. Fired 200rds CCI perfectly! Thing is super accurate and the stock trigger seems to be very very smooth. Could not be more pleased so far. Now just need more mags. Ruger is out of stock plus really need one of those mag loader helper gadgets. The Ruger mags are very hard on the thumb to load.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 AM
cmichael

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Finally got to the range today......weather has been crappy.

Two Bronze MKIV Lites back from Ruger and back from the gunsmith after trigger jobs.

Gunsmith sent them to Ruger as neither would work reliably.

I installed a Vortex Venom on one and had the 'smith put a white outline insert and red front on the other.

Eighth round of first magazine on the first one I tried failed to feed right and got caught up in bolt and mangled a bit.

But......the total outcome was........ 299 rounds of CCI (both 40 grain solid and 36 grain hollowpoint) worked perfect.

Venom was easy to sight in........now that's a wonderful red dot sight.

Sights on the other were a bit off. POI had to be raised. I did my usual dance of turning screws the wrong way, etc. but finally got it perfect. Rear is raised a lot due to height of new front sight and is not as tight as I'd like it, but it shoots great.

May end up getting another Venom.

So........Ruger got these two all straightened out, it appears.

I really like them a lot.

I just might get another.......maybe the tactical.
Glad you like you Mark IV lite, Venom RD is best sight for the money with life time warranty
Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My will be back from Dr Ruger tomorrow. I hope they have it running as well as my other Mark series pistols!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my MKiv hunter back from Ruger this afternoon. They replaced the bolt and sent back my VQ extractor. They ran 120 rounds of mixed ammo without malfunction. It is raining here but I had to try it out. I fired 4 mags out the garage door just for a function test. It ran fine. I hope it continues!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I believe most ( ? ) everyone else following this forum hopes the same for you. Consider, these Ruger Mark IV pistols have been out for what...........7 months now?

We already have experts declaring what works best for the ONE they own. Great! Does that set the standard? Maybe, but more likely, NO.

Heck, I've only looked at 4 of the Mark IV's so far with another one coming in next week. I haven't reached any definite conclusions as yet, but I hope more and more REAL owners will at least post their honest experiences with the Ruger Mark IV guns they actually own. Several of the "nay-sayers" who post stuff don't even own a Ruger Mark IV, but re-post what they heard might be the case from a cousin who heard from an uncle whose mother-in-law heard somebody talk about the Mark IV in the check out line at Piggly Wiggly.
My mkiv target has ran over 2 bricks without a problem except that 100 CCIsv. It must of been a bad lot because the mkii and mkiii22/45 ran poorly with them also. The Hunter came with a bolt that had a extractor with a corner rounded off. The the bolts extractor looks the same.

Last edited by Z400ACDC; 05-05-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This past week I was able to run 1000 rounds of Aguila ammo through my Mark IV 22/45 and it ran flawlessly. I replaced the grips with Stoner Grips, added the Volquartsen Trigger Kit and the Tandemkross Victory Trigger and Halo Bolt Racker.

I've had mine since January and really like this gun. I now have 12 magazines for it by converting some of my Mark III 22/45 magazines plus new ones for the Mark IV. Most of the magazines worked flawlessly from the factory but a number had to be tuned.

Why so many? I shoot Steel Challenge and need to have enough magazines loaded to run two stages before I need to reload them. I have problems trying to get to the stages.

Some people say the safety is too big but with all my shooting I've never encountered a problem with it. I put my right thumb on the safety when shooting and it stays down as needed.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
This past week I was able to run 1000 rounds of Aguila ammo through my Mark IV 22/45 and it ran flawlessly. I replaced the grips with Stoner Grips, added the Volquartsen Trigger Kit and the Tandemkross Victory Trigger and Halo Bolt Racker.

I've had mine since January and really like this gun. I now have 12 magazines for it by converting some of my Mark III 22/45 magazines plus new ones for the Mark IV. Most of the magazines worked flawlessly from the factory but a number had to be tuned.

Why so many? I shoot Steel Challenge and need to have enough magazines loaded to run two stages before I need to reload them. I have problems trying to get to the stages.

Some people say the safety is too big but with all my shooting I've never encountered a problem with it. I put my right thumb on the safety when shooting and it stays down as needed.
Well, that's all good and fine, but this is the Mark IV subform, not the 22/45 forum. Plus all your mods, your Steel Challenge, your multiple magazines, and your safety have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand which is a Mark IV Hunter that is jamming.